Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Is a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye worth the trouble?

  • Gerhard Killesreiter

      Am 29.11.2011 02:21, schrieb Bjørn K Nilssen:
      > På Tue, 29 Nov 2011 01:11:24 +0100, skrev Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:
      >
      >> Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
      >>
      >> Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
      >
      > A Samyang 7.5mm m4/3 on a NEX should come a bit close?
      > Not a DSLR though, if the mirror is important, but the sensor is APS-C?

      Thanks, but I already have a camera. :)

      Cheers,
      Gerhard
    • prague
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
        sigma 8, peleng 8, canon 8-15.....

        4 shots around spherical pano

        MUCH bigger pano than sigma 4.5

        definitely worth the 33% longer shooting time ;-)

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard@...> wrote:

        > What alternatives are there for doing panos on aps-c when you want to
        > minimize the # of images? Especially when you want to keep it to single-row.

      • prague
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
          3 shots around vs. 4 shots around: unless you're shooting more than 100 panos a day, there is no difference in your time. Certainly the 4 shots around will give you such better quality that it is worth it...

          ...unless you're shooting HDRI light maps, or panos only for mobile phones... in which case you might as well shoot your panos with a $20 front door peephole fisheye... just joking... well, half-joking....

          > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
          >
          > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
          >
          > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
          >
          > Blochi
          >

          > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
          >
          > > Let's hold on just a second.
          > >
          > > The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
          > > certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
          > > you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
          > > shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

        • Keith Davison
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
            I've found that the Canon 8-15mm really clips the top and bottom on APS-C, so BIG zenith
            and nadir holes at 8mm if levelled. You can tilt to close one hole or the other, but you'll still
            need a fifth shot to patch a full sphere.

            Lovely quality though.

            KeithD