Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Is a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye worth the trouble?

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

      <gerhard@...> wrote:

      Am 28.11.2011 13:36, schrieb Ken Warner:
      I've decided against buying it. Thanks everybody.

      What alternatives are there for doing panos on aps-c when you want to
      minimize the # of images? Especially when you want to keep it to
      single-row.

      I regularly shoot four around on APS-C. My weapon is a former USSR
      Peleng 8mm fisheye (M42 mount) on a Pentax K-x. I have to shoot with
      the Peleng tilted and even so there are small holes at zenith and/or
      nadir... it doesn't quite cover 180 degrees diagonally.

      This lens has faults, but if you know and can work around them, it
      can do an excellent job.

      I can also shoot four around with a Sigma 8mm fisheye on Nikon 300,
      so why do I use the Pentax/Peleng? I like the lighter camera, and I
      find the controls, menus and settings much more convenient. There is
      usually little to choose between the final panoramas produced on
      one or the other of these two setups. I get much better quality when
      I use the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye on my Fujifilm S5 Pro, although the
      nominal resolution is lower, but I can't shoot six around reliably
      using a monopod, I hate lugging around a tripod, and the extra
      stitching involved with six around (plus an extra one up or down
      if I don't want to have to extensive hole plugging) is just too
      much extra trouble.

      So Pentax plus Peleng is what I usually use.

      Three around is my dream. I could do this with film; I used the
      Peleng with the M42 mount SLR Voigtlander Bessaflex. But scanning
      all those negatives just got to be too much trouble. And even
      then I tended to shoot four around just to have sufficient overlap
      to deal with doppelgangers. When you shoot with a camera turned
      to get the diagonal vertical, the seams tends to cut people off
      at the knees, which makes for stitching problems... <sigh>

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      • prague
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
          sigma 8, peleng 8, canon 8-15.....

          4 shots around spherical pano

          MUCH bigger pano than sigma 4.5

          definitely worth the 33% longer shooting time ;-)

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
            3 shots around vs. 4 shots around: unless you're shooting more than 100 panos a day, there is no difference in your time. Certainly the 4 shots around will give you such better quality that it is worth it...

            ...unless you're shooting HDRI light maps, or panos only for mobile phones... in which case you might as well shoot your panos with a $20 front door peephole fisheye... just joking... well, half-joking....

            > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
            >
            > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
            >
            > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
            >
            > Blochi
            >

            > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
            >
            > > Let's hold on just a second.
            > >
            > > The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
            > > certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
            > > you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
            > > shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

          • Keith Davison
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
              I've found that the Canon 8-15mm really clips the top and bottom on APS-C, so BIG zenith
              and nadir holes at 8mm if levelled. You can tilt to close one hole or the other, but you'll still
              need a fifth shot to patch a full sphere.

              Lovely quality though.

              KeithD