RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Is a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye worth the trouble?

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

      That’s about on par with the used to be standard sigma 8mm f4 from the days of yore.

      Sacha Griffin

      http://www.seeit360.com

      http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

      http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

      EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

      IM: sachagriffin007@...

      Office: 404-551-4275

      on 11/28/11 5:04 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

      > But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting
      > the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma
      > 8mm.

      Let's hold on just a second.

      The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
      certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
      you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
      shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

      All shot handheld with Sigma 4.5mm:

      http://stonehopper.com
      http://stonehopper.com/360/
      http://stonehopper.com/europano/

      --
      Jesse Garnier
      http://stonehopper.com

    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011
        Yeah, I was just thinking the same.

        Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.

        4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.

        Blochi

        On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:

        Let's hold on just a second.

        The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
        certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
        you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
        shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011
          På Tue, 29 Nov 2011 01:11:24 +0100, skrev Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:

          > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
          >
          > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.

          A Samyang 7.5mm m4/3 on a NEX should come a bit close?
          Not a DSLR though, if the mirror is important, but the sensor is APS-C?

          > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
          >
          > Blochi
          >

          > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
          >
          >> Let's hold on just a second.
          >>
          >> The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
          >> certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
          >> you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
          >> shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

            <gerhard@...> wrote:

            Am 28.11.2011 13:36, schrieb Ken Warner:
            I've decided against buying it. Thanks everybody.

            What alternatives are there for doing panos on aps-c when you want to
            minimize the # of images? Especially when you want to keep it to
            single-row.

            I regularly shoot four around on APS-C. My weapon is a former USSR
            Peleng 8mm fisheye (M42 mount) on a Pentax K-x. I have to shoot with
            the Peleng tilted and even so there are small holes at zenith and/or
            nadir... it doesn't quite cover 180 degrees diagonally.

            This lens has faults, but if you know and can work around them, it
            can do an excellent job.

            I can also shoot four around with a Sigma 8mm fisheye on Nikon 300,
            so why do I use the Pentax/Peleng? I like the lighter camera, and I
            find the controls, menus and settings much more convenient. There is
            usually little to choose between the final panoramas produced on
            one or the other of these two setups. I get much better quality when
            I use the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye on my Fujifilm S5 Pro, although the
            nominal resolution is lower, but I can't shoot six around reliably
            using a monopod, I hate lugging around a tripod, and the extra
            stitching involved with six around (plus an extra one up or down
            if I don't want to have to extensive hole plugging) is just too
            much extra trouble.

            So Pentax plus Peleng is what I usually use.

            Three around is my dream. I could do this with film; I used the
            Peleng with the M42 mount SLR Voigtlander Bessaflex. But scanning
            all those negatives just got to be too much trouble. And even
            then I tended to shoot four around just to have sufficient overlap
            to deal with doppelgangers. When you shoot with a camera turned
            to get the diagonal vertical, the seams tends to cut people off
            at the knees, which makes for stitching problems... <sigh>

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            • prague
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                sigma 8, peleng 8, canon 8-15.....

                4 shots around spherical pano

                MUCH bigger pano than sigma 4.5

                definitely worth the 33% longer shooting time ;-)

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                  3 shots around vs. 4 shots around: unless you're shooting more than 100 panos a day, there is no difference in your time. Certainly the 4 shots around will give you such better quality that it is worth it...

                  ...unless you're shooting HDRI light maps, or panos only for mobile phones... in which case you might as well shoot your panos with a $20 front door peephole fisheye... just joking... well, half-joking....

                  > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
                  >
                  > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
                  >
                  > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
                  >
                  > Blochi
                  >

                  > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
                  >
                  > > Let's hold on just a second.
                  > >
                  > > The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
                  > > certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
                  > > you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
                  > > shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

                • Keith Davison
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                    I've found that the Canon 8-15mm really clips the top and bottom on APS-C, so BIG zenith
                    and nadir holes at 8mm if levelled. You can tilt to close one hole or the other, but you'll still
                    need a fifth shot to patch a full sphere.

                    Lovely quality though.

                    KeithD