Re: [PanoToolsNG] Is a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye worth the trouble?

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011
      But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma 8mm.

      Matt

    • Gerhard Killesreiter

        Am 28.11.2011 14:03, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
        > I shoot with a full frame, but wouldn't the Tokina 10-17 come very close to
        > four around with a nadir shot if you tilted it up about 10 degrees?

        Maybe it would. I can't try it since I don't have the lense. :p

        I had considered that lens (in its Pentax version) in "slant" (ie
        putting the diagonal vertically) mode. But I can't find any examples
        showing that it works.

        Cheers,
        Gerhard
      • Gerhard Killesreiter

          Am 28.11.2011 14:04, schrieb Matthew Rogers:
          > But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma 8mm.

          Was that in reply to the Tokina recommendation? Or another comment on
          the Sigma 4.5mm? In any case: Sigma doesn't offer the 8mm for Pentax,
          but there's a 8-16mm.

          Cheers,
          Gerhard
        • Gerhard Killesreiter

            Am 29.11.2011 00:21, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
            > Am 28.11.2011 14:04, schrieb Matthew Rogers:
            >> But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma 8mm.
            >

            > Was that in reply to the Tokina recommendation? Or another comment on
            > the Sigma 4.5mm? In any case: Sigma doesn't offer the 8mm for Pentax,
            > but there's a 8-16mm.

            Ah, the 8-16mm isn't fishy, it's a normal wide-angle zoom.

            So, rather the Samyang than the 10-17mm?

            Cheers,
            Gerhard
          • Jesse Garnier
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

              on 11/28/11 5:04 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

              > But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting
              > the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma
              > 8mm.

              Let's hold on just a second.

              The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
              certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
              you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
              shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

              All shot handheld with Sigma 4.5mm:

              http://stonehopper.com
              http://stonehopper.com/360/
              http://stonehopper.com/europano/

              --
              Jesse Garnier
              http://stonehopper.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

                That’s about on par with the used to be standard sigma 8mm f4 from the days of yore.

                Sacha Griffin

                http://www.seeit360.com

                http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                IM: sachagriffin007@...

                Office: 404-551-4275

                on 11/28/11 4:22 AM, prague wrote:

                > No, it's an awful lens. not worth it.

                on 11/28/11 5:04 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:

                > But the quality is so bad you may as well not even bother shooting
                > the pano. The best choice would be either the Samyang 8mm or Sigma
                > 8mm.

                Let's hold on just a second.

                The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
                certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
                you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
                shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

                All shot handheld with Sigma 4.5mm:

                http://stonehopper.com
                http://stonehopper.com/360/
                http://stonehopper.com/europano/

                --
                Jesse Garnier
                http://stonehopper.com
                San Francisco, Calif.

              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011
                  Yeah, I was just thinking the same.

                  Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.

                  4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.

                  Blochi

                  On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:

                  Let's hold on just a second.

                  The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
                  certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
                  you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
                  shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011
                    På Tue, 29 Nov 2011 01:11:24 +0100, skrev Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:

                    > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
                    >
                    > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.

                    A Samyang 7.5mm m4/3 on a NEX should come a bit close?
                    Not a DSLR though, if the mirror is important, but the sensor is APS-C?

                    > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
                    >
                    > Blochi
                    >

                    > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
                    >
                    >> Let's hold on just a second.
                    >>
                    >> The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
                    >> certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
                    >> you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
                    >> shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 28, 2011

                      <gerhard@...> wrote:

                      Am 28.11.2011 13:36, schrieb Ken Warner:
                      I've decided against buying it. Thanks everybody.

                      What alternatives are there for doing panos on aps-c when you want to
                      minimize the # of images? Especially when you want to keep it to
                      single-row.

                      I regularly shoot four around on APS-C. My weapon is a former USSR
                      Peleng 8mm fisheye (M42 mount) on a Pentax K-x. I have to shoot with
                      the Peleng tilted and even so there are small holes at zenith and/or
                      nadir... it doesn't quite cover 180 degrees diagonally.

                      This lens has faults, but if you know and can work around them, it
                      can do an excellent job.

                      I can also shoot four around with a Sigma 8mm fisheye on Nikon 300,
                      so why do I use the Pentax/Peleng? I like the lighter camera, and I
                      find the controls, menus and settings much more convenient. There is
                      usually little to choose between the final panoramas produced on
                      one or the other of these two setups. I get much better quality when
                      I use the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye on my Fujifilm S5 Pro, although the
                      nominal resolution is lower, but I can't shoot six around reliably
                      using a monopod, I hate lugging around a tripod, and the extra
                      stitching involved with six around (plus an extra one up or down
                      if I don't want to have to extensive hole plugging) is just too
                      much extra trouble.

                      So Pentax plus Peleng is what I usually use.

                      Three around is my dream. I could do this with film; I used the
                      Peleng with the M42 mount SLR Voigtlander Bessaflex. But scanning
                      all those negatives just got to be too much trouble. And even
                      then I tended to shoot four around just to have sufficient overlap
                      to deal with doppelgangers. When you shoot with a camera turned
                      to get the diagonal vertical, the seams tends to cut people off
                      at the knees, which makes for stitching problems... <sigh>

                      Roger W.

                      --
                      Business: www.adex-japan.com
                      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                        Am 29.11.2011 02:21, schrieb Bjørn K Nilssen:
                        > På Tue, 29 Nov 2011 01:11:24 +0100, skrev Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>:
                        >
                        >> Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
                        >>
                        >> Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
                        >
                        > A Samyang 7.5mm m4/3 on a NEX should come a bit close?
                        > Not a DSLR though, if the mirror is important, but the sensor is APS-C?

                        Thanks, but I already have a camera. :)

                        Cheers,
                        Gerhard
                      • prague
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                          sigma 8, peleng 8, canon 8-15.....

                          4 shots around spherical pano

                          MUCH bigger pano than sigma 4.5

                          definitely worth the 33% longer shooting time ;-)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                            3 shots around vs. 4 shots around: unless you're shooting more than 100 panos a day, there is no difference in your time. Certainly the 4 shots around will give you such better quality that it is worth it...

                            ...unless you're shooting HDRI light maps, or panos only for mobile phones... in which case you might as well shoot your panos with a $20 front door peephole fisheye... just joking... well, half-joking....

                            > Yeah, I was just thinking the same.
                            >
                            > Nothing that was mentioned in this thread actually provides an alternative. That is, shooting full sphericals on APS-C with only 3 shots. The Sunnex fisheye would be an alternative, but that one is worse. Don't know of anything better.
                            >
                            > 4k final resolution may not be everyones cake, but it's plenty enough for CG lighting and mobile phones.
                            >
                            > Blochi
                            >

                            > On Nov 28, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Jesse Garnier wrote:
                            >
                            > > Let's hold on just a second.
                            > >
                            > > The 4.5mm Sigma might not be the best lens in the world, but it's
                            > > certainly capable of delivering results better than "awful" or "so bad
                            > > you might as well not even bother." Not many other options that can
                            > > shoot three-around panos handheld on an APS-C sensor.

                          • Keith Davison
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 29, 2011
                              I've found that the Canon 8-15mm really clips the top and bottom on APS-C, so BIG zenith
                              and nadir holes at 8mm if levelled. You can tilt to close one hole or the other, but you'll still
                              need a fifth shot to patch a full sphere.

                              Lovely quality though.

                              KeithD