igirama

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 2011
      Here's an interesting TEDxAmsterdam presentation on another way of experiencing a panorama:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftsfObDi9I

      Would love to experience one in person...
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2011
        So simple. Genius.
        Thanks for sharing, Aldo.
        Did you already invite him to the next meeting?

        > Here's an interesting TEDxAmsterdam presentation on another way of experiencing a panorama:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftsfObDi9I
        >
        > Would love to experience one in person...

      • Henri Smeets
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 26, 2011
          I was there, capturing the audience creating a taggable panorama in a 90
          seconds shooting ( c360.nl/tedxamsterdam11/ )

          I saw William coming on stage, saw the half sphere and wondered what was up,
          then he put the dome on the mirror,..... wow genius, it's just a simple
          twist, literally! Had a close-up look at the dome/mirror and the effect is
          indeed stunning, as if you're hovering in the sky!

          Possible indeed a welcome guest at the next meeting!

          PS Thanks Andrew for providing me with the NN4 to shoot the panorama with a
          24mm to get a decent resolution.

        • Jesse Garnier
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 26, 2011
            Simple, brilliant, genius. Might it possible to project onto the dome
            surface, making a possible a 'theater' for experiencing different panoramas?

            Awesome stuff!

            --
            Jesse Garnier
            http://stonehopper.com

            on 11/26/11 10:01 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:

            > Here's an interesting TEDxAmsterdam presentation on another way of
            > experiencing a panorama:
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RftsfObDi9I
            >
            > Would love to experience one in person...
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2011
              Ive been thinking why this should look like such an awesome illusion. A. It engulfs the view replacing what would be seats, floor etc in a normal dome theatre with the actual content -- so your brain has no normal objects to create the subjective space impression. B.Gravity and head pose are now in sync with the image.

              There must be more reasons but it does look great.

              A cylinder might work to some extent too. It is easier to find large architectural spaces that are cylindrical than hemispherical.

              PeterM

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
                I think any setup would work, sphere, cilinder, cube etcetera but the sphere
                is the easiest to light smoothly I guess.

                Projection indeed would be nice as well, or high-res led.

                How about playing 360 videos,.... there goes the clean floor ;-)

              • Aldo Hoeben
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
                  > I think any setup would work, sphere, cilinder, cube etcetera but the sphere
                  > is the easiest to light smoothly I guess.

                  I would think a cube wont work anywhere near as immersive, unless you want to confine the visitors to the center of the installation. A cube has a discontinuous perspective, whereas a sphere (and a cylinder) has a continuous perspective that also works to an extent from outside the center of the sphere.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
                    Am 27.11.2011 05:00, schrieb panovrx:

                    > Ive been thinking why this should look like such an awesome illusion.

                    Me too. There is nothing new about viewing a panorama from the center of
                    a sphere or a cylinder. This has been done since ages, f.e. in IMax
                    domes. In fact the name "Panorama" origins from large painted displays
                    that where viewed from a central platform, often showing sculptured or
                    painted details even below that platform.

                    And obviously a panorama from a high place where anything of interest
                    lies below the horizon must be below the viewing person for a real
                    immersive experience. A glass floor would have served as well - with the
                    additional benefit of allowing for the upper hemisphere, too. But a
                    glass floor of that size is possibly harder to realize. And a central
                    platform wouldn't provide the thrill of beeing in mid air...

                  • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
                      Another thing to consider, is that the number of people on the 'floor' at any one time would need to be regulated. Eg. 100 people on the mirror, would somewhat ruin the experience.

                      Cheers,
                      Darren

                      Sent from my iPad

                      On 28/11/2011, at 7:16, "Erik Krause - > wrote:

                      > Am 27.11.2011 05:00, schrieb panovrx:
                      >
                      >> Ive been thinking why this should look like such an awesome illusion.
                      >
                      > Me too. There is nothing new about viewing a panorama from the center of
                      > a sphere or a cylinder. This has been done since ages, f.e. in IMax
                      > domes. In fact the name "Panorama" origins from large painted displays
                      > that where viewed from a central platform, often showing sculptured or
                      > painted details even below that platform.
                      >
                      > And obviously a panorama from a high place where anything of interest
                      > lies below the horizon must be below the viewing person for a real
                      > immersive experience. A glass floor would have served as well - with the
                      > additional benefit of allowing for the upper hemisphere, too. But a
                      > glass floor of that size is possibly harder to realize. And a central
                      > platform wouldn't provide the thrill of beeing in mid air...
                      >
                      > --
                      > Erik Krause

                    • Mark Fink
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
                        That and short skirts or kilts could be awkward...

                        Mark