Stereo panoramas with a single camera -- coloured/patterned apertures

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2011
      This instructable
      http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Your-Camera-To-Capture-3D-Anaglyphs/
      teaches how to add a dual aperture filter in front of your camera and it will just automatically make anaglyph 3d images. The apertures are circular and each has a complementary colored filter (red/cyan or green/magenta) behind each hole. The holes are either side of the center of the filter (can be cut out cardboard, filters can be from 3d glasses).
      He has a utility to calculate the size and position of the holes to optimize the 3d recording.

      From the anaglyph image the camera now makes directly you can with more or less success,using other programs, extract two more or less normal looking colored images (this last bit is my guess).

      But anyway you could stitch the anaglyph images directly I would think.
      Must try it. I dont know how well fisheye lenses will work.

      Prof Dietz, whose instructable this is, has a great video on this, and the information in out of focus image areas generally and how you can use it, for instance, for 3d extraction and bokeh simulation and control. He has made scripts for CHDK for Canon compacts to do some of this stuff with consumer compact cameras.
      http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/dl.aspx?id=156493

      PeterM
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2011
        Fascinating, and very well explained by the professor!

        On Nov 26, 2011, at 9:24 AM, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

        > This instructable
        > http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Your-Camera-To-Capture-3D-Anaglyphs/
        > teaches how to add a dual aperture filter in front of your camera and it will just automatically make anaglyph 3d images. The apertures are circular and each has a complementary colored filter (red/cyan or green/magenta) behind each hole. The holes are either side of the center of the filter (can be cut out cardboard, filters can be from 3d glasses).
        > He has a utility to calculate the size and position of the holes to optimize the 3d recording.
        >
        > From the anaglyph image the camera now makes directly you can with more or less success,using other programs, extract two more or less normal looking colored images (this last bit is my guess).
        >
        > But anyway you could stitch the anaglyph images directly I would think.
        > Must try it. I dont know how well fisheye lenses will work.

        Do let us know how fisheye lenses work out.

        > Prof Dietz, whose instructable this is, has a great video on this, and the information in out of focus image areas generally and how you can use it, for instance, for 3d extraction and bokeh simulation and control. He has made scripts for CHDK for Canon compacts to do some of this stuff with consumer compact cameras.
        > http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/dl.aspx?id=156493

        Roger W.