Cobra Snakes

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
      I'm back from my trip to India and will be working on making up new panos for the next few months.
      This time I did many things a little different like the low down snake view, my lens did get struck once while shooting this pano.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/cobras.html

      For this shot I used my Canon 5D-2 with the Nikon 10.5mm lens because the shots where so close.

      Roger Berry
    • Stephani Hill

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
          Here a photo of my setup for shooting low shots, I can also screw on other height rods or hook a few together for different heights. With this setup I can shoot low or flip the pole upright for high shots. In this shot I had switched to my other camera with the Canon 24mm lens for some close-ups, this is when the cobra struck my lens leaving a small mark on the filter.
          http://indiavrtours.com/pic/low_shot.jpg

          Here I am sitting on a camel at the Pushkar Camel Fair with the pole on my toe as I rotate it for making 360° photos. I also found many new uses for the pole on this trip.
          http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/Ktek_camel.jpg

          Cheers,
          Roger Berry

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Stephani Hill <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

          > Awesome! My kids loved this.
          >
          > Stephani
          > On Nov 16, 2011, at 8:35 PM, onezebra1 wrote:
          >
          > > I'm back from my trip to India and will be working on making up new panos for the next few months.
          > > This time I did many things a little different like the low down snake view, my lens did get struck once while shooting this pano.
          > > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/cobras.html
          > >
          > > For this shot I used my Canon 5D-2 with the Nikon 10.5mm lens because the shots where so close.
          > >
          > > Roger Berry

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011

            Wow! Great shot.

            Did they still have their teeth? My wife brought it up  that cobra tamers usually remove their teeth so that the danger is only theatre.

            Though, it’s probably not something they would admit to a foreigner or you could know just be getting a quick look during a strike.

            Sacha Griffin

            http://www.seeit360.com

            http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

            http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

            EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

            IM: sachagriffin007@...

            Office: 404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                  For a few years you could not find any snake charmers around, it had been outlawed.
                  One way to make the cobras safe to handle with their fangs still in place was to burn out their poison glands with a red hot steel rod, 4 to 6 weeks later the cobra would die. Doing it this way the snake charmer could show that when bit and the snake venom did not kill them.

                  The other way was to remove the cobra's fangs.

                  Now the snake charmers are back and are required to have a government permit and take good care of the snakes.

                  There where dozens of snake charmers at the Puskar Camel Fair this year, the shot I posted was from the gypsy camp just outside of the fair grounds where the gypsy have lived for many years.

                  Cheers,
                  Roger Berry

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                    Interesting. Thanks Rodger.
                    Will
                    On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:49 AM, onezebra1 wrote:

                    For a few years you could not find any snake charmers around, it had been outlawed.
                    One way to make the cobras safe to handle with their fangs still in place was to burn out their poison glands with a red hot steel rod, 4 to 6 weeks later the cobra would die. Doing it this way the snake charmer could show that when bit and the snake venom did not kill them.

                    The other way was to remove the cobra's fangs.

                    Now the snake charmers are back and are required to have a government permit and take good care of the snakes.

                    There where dozens of snake charmers at the Puskar Camel Fair this year, the shot I posted was from the gypsy camp just outside of the fair grounds where the gypsy have lived for many years.

                    Cheers,
                    Roger Berry

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Will <willbrown@...> wrote:

                    > I was told by my guide when I was at Pushkar that they have been neutralized. This might be the same charmer that is in Rodger's pano. This was almost 3 years ago.
                    > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Lg55pStBQ0QSw6PuRrHISuSuLGX-FqDZam2SC432Ago?feat=directlink
                    > Will

                  • Scott Highton
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                      Very nicely done, Roger.

                      Congratulations on your creative approach. I'm amazed at all the
                      young kids sitting nearby in the scene, literally within striking
                      distance of death. Certainly OSHA (U.S. Occupational Safety and
                      Health Administration) work place safety rules don't apply there...
                      (grin).

                      Scott

                      Scott Highton
                      Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                      Web: http://www.vrphotography.com
                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                        Excellent shot. I love this even more for the people then for the snakes, which of course add the extra kick ;)

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                        > I'm back from my trip to India and will be working on making up new panos for the next few months.
                        > This time I did many things a little different like the low down snake view, my lens did get struck once while shooting this pano.
                        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/cobras.html
                        >
                        > For this shot I used my Canon 5D-2 with the Nikon 10.5mm lens because the shots where so close.
                        >
                        > Roger Berry

                      • onezebra1
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                          Thanks,
                          On this trip to India I was trying to get up close to the people and action when shooting panos like on this one of people washing clothes near the Taj Mahal along the Yamuna River.
                          http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/washing2.html

                          Roger Berry

                          > Excellent shot. I love this even more for the people then for the snakes, which of course add the extra kick ;)
                        • Willy Kaemena
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 17, 2011
                            This  reminds me  at a similar place in Karachi where I took 1999 this  panorama

                            Willy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 18, 2011
                              Yes! Very nice.
                              From what I can see your settings for CA removal could need some optimisation.

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks,
                              > On this trip to India I was trying to get up close to the people and action when shooting panos like on this one of people washing clothes near the Taj Mahal along the Yamuna River.
                              > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/washing2.html
                              >
                              > Roger Berry
                              >

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Excellent shot. I love this even more for the people then for the snakes, which of course add the extra kick ;)

                            • zakaTo
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 18, 2011
                                Hi there Roger!

                                Those are all gorgeous takes! ... congrats!
                                (loved your low down rig! :)

                                cheers,

                                Antonio

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                                > I'm back from my trip to India and will be working on making up new panos for the next few months.
                                > This time I did many things a little different like the low down snake view, my lens did get struck once while shooting this pano.
                                > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/cobras.html
                                >
                                > For this shot I used my Canon 5D-2 with the Nikon 10.5mm lens because the shots where so close.
                                >
                                > Roger Berry

                              • Roger D Williams
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 18, 2011
                                  Sorry, you have the wrong Roger. You want Roger Berry!

                                  Roger W.

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:47 PM, "zakaTo" <avgs@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi there Roger!
                                  >
                                  > Those are all gorgeous takes! ... congrats!
                                  > (loved your low down rig! :)
                                  >
                                  > cheers,
                                  >
                                  > Antonio
                                  >
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I'm back from my trip to India and will be working on making up new panos for the next few months.
                                  >> This time I did many things a little different like the low down snake view, my lens did get struck once while shooting this pano.
                                  >> http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/cobras.html
                                  >>
                                  >> For this shot I used my Canon 5D-2 with the Nikon 10.5mm lens because the shots where so close.
                                  >>
                                  >> Roger Berry

                                • onezebra1
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 18, 2011
                                    With this Canon 5d-2 and Nikon 10.5mm lens I only need to shoot 4 shots for good overlap, but I shot a extra one facing away from the sun to take care of my shadow as you can see in this photo.
                                    http://indiavrtours.com/pic/shadow.jpg

                                    As for removing the CA, I can never seem to get it right using Photoshop.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 21, 2011
                                      I did some work fixing most of the CA problems, fixed a few other little things and added some audio to the pano.