OT PC Saga

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
      Regular readers who don't skip posts titled "OT" will know I got a
      new computer. If you're still with me, read on.

      Here are some things NOT to do when you get a new computer.

      1. Don't buy a PC with preinstalled software using a language
      that is not your mother tongue, even if you speak and read it well,
      unless it has Windows 7 Ultimate OS, which alone caters for
      language changes.

      Why? 'Cause the menus and help have all been translated from
      English and have lost something in the process. And it's much
      harder to scan the garbage to get to the good stuff quickly.

      2. If you ignore (1) and (like me) buy a Win 7 Home Premium PC
      with Japanese OS, DON'T use Vistalizator to change the OS language
      from Japanese to English.

      Why? Although it works like a treat (Yeah, yeah!) and only asks
      for 10 Euro payment "if you think it's worth it" it sabotages
      later OS upgrades. I had to undo days of work and put everything
      back to its original default status! Thanks goodness I only
      wasted 10 Euros (yes, I did pay for it).

      3. If you decide to bite the bullet and pay for an upgrade from
      Home Premium to Ultimate because it caters for language change,
      don't try to buy it from anywhere outside the country where
      you bought the computer.

      It can't be done and you'll waste time trying. At least *I*
      couldn't, and I certainly wasted time.

      4. If you decide to pay for an upgrade DON'T buy it direct from
      Microsoft. Discount stores or in my case Amazon.jp offer them
      at deep discounts.

      Roger W.
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
        Roger
        :-)

        forget about all this s... and
        GET a MAC !!!

        :-)

        best
        AYRTON

        On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Roger D. Williams <roger@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP

      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
          yeeee  what a PC  Problem ;-))

          on MAC there is only  ONE  System version,  the FULL version and it comes on ANY Mac  preinstalled  and you switch  to ANY  language with one click  even exotic  ones  like chinese,  Japanese   or arabic to name a few.
          no need  to bother with upgrades and  add ons...
          And  this ability  is  build  into the  MacOS since decades ;-)

          Willy

          On Nov 16, 2011, at 15:42, AYRTON wrote:

          Roger

          :-)

          forget about all this s... and
          GET a MAC !!!

          :-)

        • Bostjan Burger
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
            But... MAC still don't know how to make a QWERTZ keyboard... and still have no Slovenian language support ;)

            Boštjan

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
              Well the update for 10.7.1 says Slovenian is a supported language.

              Matt

[...]

            • L.D.I. Felipe B. González

[...]

                L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                felipe@...
                1998-5246
                www.fpk.com.mx

              • panokaemena@mac.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
                  Here  "my" Slovenian Keyboard  and the  the selection  of slovenian as a language

                  http://kaemena360.net/Forenfotos/Slov_Keyboard.png

                  http://kaemena360.net/Forenfotos/Language.png

                  Slovene or Slovenian (slovenski jezik or slovenščina, not to be confused with slovenčina, the native name of Slovak) is a South Slavic language spoken by approximately 2.5 million speakers worldwide, the majority of whom live in Slovenia. It is the first language of about 1.85 million people and is one of the 23 official and working languages of the European Union.[1] Although Slovene is not an endangered language, its scope is shrinking considerably, especially in science and higher education.

                  Willy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
                    That keyboard is also on my Mac - but it is not Slovenian keyboard! - it is still qwerty keyboard ... it should be qwertz. The point of my post was that the procedure to get it is much harder than on PC ( "on MAC there is only  ONE  System version,  the FULL version and it comes on ANY Mac  preinstalled  and you switch  to ANY  language with one click  even exotic  ones ... " ). There were tricks to get slovenian keyboard on MAC already in 2007, for PC already in late 80-ies and windows were translated to Slovenian language already in late 90-ies.

                    Boštjan

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
                      Suported only with special characters ( č,š,ž ), but not with the keyboard layout ... and I still read English instead Slovenian... for older people, the only solution to use mac is to buy German or Italian... or to start learning English ... don't understand me wrong... I realy like my Mac Air, only thing I realy miss is the right keyboard layout... or lightened keyboard, which is a standard with my laptops or notebooks since ...huh... "many years"...

                      Boštjan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
                        And if you really need to run windows for some bit of software you use that can be done through Bootcamp or some other virtualization software. Windows and Mac OSX on the same machine.

                        On Nov 16, 2011, at 7:51 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:

                        yeeee  what a PC  Problem ;-))

                        on MAC there is only  ONE  System version,  the FULL version and it comes on ANY Mac  preinstalled  and you switch  to ANY  language with one click  even exotic  ones  like chinese,  Japanese   or arabic to name a few.
                        no need  to bother with upgrades and  add ons...
                        And  this ability  is  build  into the  MacOS since decades ;-)

                        Willy

                        Cheers
                        Robert C. Fisher
                        VR Photography / Cinematography
                        Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

                      • thomas_krueger_eu
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 16, 2011
                          My two Winboxes with Windows 7 can be used in german, italian and spanish without problems. Most of the time the biggest problem, Mac or Windows computer, is sitting in front of the monitor <kidding>.