OT - Laptop with tablet feel

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

      Does anyone have experience with a laptop that can be converted to a tablet? I recently used an iPad2 to demo some VR tours, and really liked the tablet experience, but hate to spend that kind of money on a tablet, then also purchase a laptop that I can take on trips to download and do initial sorting and keyword entry of images for Lightroom.

      I took a look at the Asus Transformer, but again, that is a netbook with a really cool detachable monitor, but no real horsepower for Lightroom use. I also checked out the Dell Duo, but that hasn’t received very good reviews, both for performance and screen quality.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Mark

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

        That’s a hard one. I think in the end, there is no better solution besides an iPad and laptop should you need it.. and you’ll always find more uses for the iPad that you can’t live without.. even if you don’t know them now.

        Good touch laptops “if there are any” are massively expensive and nowhere near as convenient.  I haven’t used my laptop since the iPad.

        You could use a dell mini +iPad, if you can do your keyword editing in windows explorer. They are a bit too slow for heavy graphics.

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Does anyone have experience with a laptop that can be converted to a tablet? I recently used an iPad2 to demo some VR tours, and really liked the tablet experience, but hate to spend that kind of money on a tablet, then also purchase a laptop that I can take on trips to download and do initial sorting and keyword entry of images for Lightroom.

        I took a look at the Asus Transformer, but again, that is a netbook with a really cool detachable monitor, but no real horsepower for Lightroom use. I also checked out the Dell Duo, but that hasn’t received very good reviews, both for performance and screen quality.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks,

        Mark

      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          felipe@...

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

            Just stumbled across this one – the HP Slate 2:

            http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395710,00.asp#fbid=7_M4YieSpI8

            It looks promising as it seems to be primarily and Windows tablet that can use a Bluetooth 4 keyboard. Perhaps the best of both worlds, and not too pricey at $699? I know it won’t be a racehorse, but if it can run Lightroom “reasonably” well while in the field, then I’d be happy. Plus, being able to demo virtual tours using one device – big plus for me.

            Mark

            That’s a hard one. I think in the end, there is no better solution besides an iPad and laptop should you need it.. and you’ll always find more uses for the iPad that you can’t live without.. even if you don’t know them now.

            Good touch laptops “if there are any” are massively expensive and nowhere near as convenient.  I haven’t used my laptop since the iPad.

            You could use a dell mini +iPad, if you can do your keyword editing in windows explorer. They are a bit too slow for heavy graphics.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta , Georgia

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

              Holy Smokes Check this out!

              Maybe you don’t need a laptop if you just want to manage a photo shoot.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CIQc22RoTyg

              http://store.micgadget.com/card-readers/280-ipad-2-cf-card-camera-connection-kit.html

              Sacha Griffin

              http://www.seeit360.com

              http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

              http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

              EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

              IM: sachagriffin007@...

              Office: 404-551-4275

              Just stumbled across this one – the HP Slate 2:

              http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395710,00.asp#fbid=7_M4YieSpI8

              It looks promising as it seems to be primarily and Windows tablet that can use a Bluetooth 4 keyboard. Perhaps the best of both worlds, and not too pricey at $699? I know it won’t be a racehorse, but if it can run Lightroom “reasonably” well while in the field, then I’d be happy. Plus, being able to demo virtual tours using one device – big plus for me.

            • Phil
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                If you have a Microsoft retail store nearby check out the Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's about $1,000 after the 25% in store discount. Runs Photoshop and upgradable to W8 this summer.

                http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/

                I might be picking one up tomorrow.

                Phil
              • vrsmarty
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                  Not that I love Samsung nor Windows, but I think - this is the future
                  iPad is a toy

                  Darek

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <philip@...> wrote:

                  > If you have a Microsoft retail store nearby check out the Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's about $1,000 after the 25% in store discount. Runs Photoshop and upgradable to W8 this summer.
                  >
                  > http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/
                  >
                  > I might be picking one up tomorrow.
                  >
                  > Phil

                • Carlos Chegado Lists
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011

                    Not that I love Samsung nor Windows, but I think - this is the future
                    iPad is a toy

                    Darek

                    Hey Darek, go tell that to Adobe ;)

                    My best regards
                    Os melhores cumprimentos

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Carlos Chegado

                    360º Immersive Experiences

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                      No, Carlos, but it is a very desirable toy, little horse power though, good for mails and web...
                      have you ever thought that they do not want flash because iOS would not be able to play it?

                      anyway, this is what I think is the future: http://www.dell.com/content/products/superview.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&pageoverride=gallery_view1&s=biz&xdb=Z2xvYmFsOnByb2R1Y3RzOmxhdGl0OmZsYXNoOmxhdGl0dWRlLXh0My1zdXBlcnZpZXcjcmVnaW9u&modaltype=box&position=center&ovrcolor=gray&modalwidth=850&modalheight=550

                      a real computer in a very small size, something that we could work on not only play

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carlos Chegado Lists <cc@...> wrote:

                      > > Not that I love Samsung nor Windows, but I think - this is the future
                      > > iPad is a toy
                      > >
                      > > Darek
                      > >

                      > Hey Darek, go tell that to Adobe ;)
                      >

                      > My best regards
                      > Os melhores cumprimentos
                      >
                      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      >
                      > Carlos Chegado
                      >
                      > 360º Immersive Experiences
                      >

                      > On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM, vrsmarty <vrsmarty@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Not that I love Samsung nor Windows, but I think - this is the future
                      > > iPad is a toy
                      > >
                      > > Darek

                    • thomas_krueger_eu
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 15, 2011
                        I'm waiting for a refurbished Nook Color ($150, Barnes & Nobles, bestbuy.com, Ebay). It is possible to change the firmware, so instead of an ereader you will get a 7" android tablet. The device is big enough to use it as a showcase for images and panos, and small enough to put it in every bag.
                        Modified firmware for the Nook Color: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color
                        Nook Forum XDA-Developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860

                        For processing panos on the road I prefer my Clevo notebook with a Core i7 processor and 16 Gb ram.
                      • enridp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 16, 2011
                          Yes, I was looking the same, and I don't know why they are sooo expensive, I mean, is just a different display, I don't understand their prices :(

                          I found this top10 but it's one year old:

                          http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/roundup/10-best-touchscreen-laptops-in-the-world-909937

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone have experience with a laptop that can be converted to a tablet?
                          > I recently used an iPad2 to demo some VR tours, and really liked the tablet
                          > experience, but hate to spend that kind of money on a tablet, then also
                          > purchase a laptop that I can take on trips to download and do initial
                          > sorting and keyword entry of images for Lightroom.
                          >

                          > I took a look at the Asus Transformer, but again, that is a netbook with a
                          > really cool detachable monitor, but no real horsepower for Lightroom use. I
                          > also checked out the Dell Duo, but that hasn't received very good reviews,
                          > both for performance and screen quality.
                          >

                          > Any suggestions?
                          >

                          > Thanks,
                          >

                          > Mark
                          >

                          > www.northernlight.net
                          >
                          > www.virtual-travels.com
                          >
                          > <http://www.pinnacle-vr.com/> www.pinnacle-vr.com

                        • enridp
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 16, 2011
                            Here is another one (more recent and with a nice chart)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 16, 2011
                              Hi Thomas,

                              When you get your Nook Color set up, I'd be really interested in a follow up
                              on how it works and how you like it. For that price, I could justify getting
                              both a Nook and laptop.

                              Thanks!

                              Mark

                              www.northernlight.net
                              www.virtual-travels.com
                              www.pinnacle-vr.com

                            • thomas_krueger_eu
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 17, 2011
                                I will keep you informed. My Nook is actually in Miami and scheduled for shipping to Europe.

                                Thomas