Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: No more Flash on mobile devices

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 13, 2011
      2011/11/13 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>:
      > På Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:23:13 +0100, skrev Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:
      >
      >> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> **
      >>>
      >>> Sorry but those stats are just simply wrong.
      >>> If you want reliable stats you have to look at Statcounter
      >>>
      >>> http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201110-201111
      >>>
      >>> They show the current figures at 22% Android and 23,5 iOS for worldwide.
      >>>
      >>> For US they are 40% for both.
      >>>
      >>> Hans
      >>>

      >> Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest those, or any, aggregated web stats are
      >> accurate - but they all paint the same picture: iOS is a major platform on
      >> the Web. Whether it is larger, or simply comparable to, Android, the point
      >> remains - it's not a minor platform (which is what I was responding to in
      >> the first place) when it comes to mobile web platforms.
      >
      > I was actually thinking of the web as a whole, and not only mobile.
      > Currently mobile has fallen from its peak at 7% in July to 6.55% today - vs desktop.
      > And MacOSX is 7.18% currently - worldwide. Even Vista and XP are larger.
      > In the mobile world Symbian is still a lot larger than both iOS and Android, although also iOS has started to rise again.
      > I don't think it was completely wrong to call them one of the smaller competitors?

      It just depends on context of course :) Since the change in strategy
      relates to the mobile space I thought the important context was
      mobile, and that iOS has a significant presence in mobile Web. In any
      case, it's an interesting development which we - and many, many others
      - have basically no say in, but will have to deal with. I began moving
      all my work away from Flash Player (as a runtime) several years ago,
      long before iOS and Flash were in question; granted these projects
      mostly have little to nothing to do with the panoramic world - this is
      a hobby for me at the moment, though I have worked professionally in
      VR off and on in the past.

      Some other interesting details have come out in the aftermath of
      Adobe's announcement which point to a larger shift than just mobile.
      Adobe is phasing out efforts to push Flash on other platforms - like
      settop boxes - in the same way... they'll respect current licenses,
      provide limited support, but going forward aren't pushing Flash Player
      as a runtime on basically anything but desktops.

      Likewise, they quietly announced a shift in their support for Flex - a
      big shame as I've long felt Flex offered a compelling platform for
      developing rich client applications for corporate applications, where
      support for standards (and the ensuing chaos in developing and
      supporting HTML/CSS/JS across the three major browser engines - IE,
      Firefox, and Webkit) was less important than delivering highly
      functional application front-ends. Whatever you think of Flash and
      Silverlight on the public Web, both Flash/Flex and SIlverlight were
      powerful tools for corporate developers. Adobe and Microsoft's
      willingness to abandon these platforms, alienate developers, and
      squander years of marketing and development, speak to much deeper
      contemplation of the issues for these vendors that cannot be
      rationalized simply by Apples refusal to allow Flash Player on iOS.

      -R