Re: Budget pano pole/monopod project ...

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 16, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Boerner <sboerner@...> wrote:

      > As a next step with poles, has anyone investigated a way of mounting a
      > pole on a tripod for horizontal work off a building or cliff?
      >
      > The tripod would need to be weighted and pole would need to be
      > counterweighted, but assuming a 1-2 inch diameter pole, does anyone have
      > a source for the clamping mechanism?

      I made a project this summer making panoramas 4-5 m outside a 100 m high cliff.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/

      This is how it was made.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg

      Another image from my test shots.
      http://www.qtvr.dk/klint/horisontal-pole.jpg
      http://www.qtvr.dk/klint/

      It all had to be invented and homemade as the weight has to be kept down to a minimum.
      Pole was a cheap alu flag pole

      For best resolution I used a Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye pointed 20 degrees down.
      Upshot made from the cliff.
      Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight a couple of gr)

      Still counterweight was 20 - 25 kg which together with tripods and poles is a lot when you
      have to walk several km with it.

      Hans
      www.panoramas.dk
    • 3rw1n
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 16, 2006
        Hi,

        I made an aerial pano in Bordeaux this afternoon,
        Quite foggy but not as much as last week.

        Java => http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/360aerien/lac_pack_java.html

        Flash =>
        http://www.bluephotographie.com/360/360aerien/lac_pack_flash.html

        (Jpeg 70 2000x2000px)

        erwin

      • Mike Johnston
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 16, 2006
          I like this one:
          http://www.qtvr.dk/klint/horisontal-pole.jpg
          The hawk at the top is a nice touch - is it a composite?

          Mike J.

          > As a next step with poles, has anyone investigated a way of mounting a
          > pole on a tripod for horizontal work off a building or cliff?
          >
          > The tripod would need to be weighted and pole would need to be
          > counterweighted, but assuming a 1-2 inch diameter pole, does anyone have
          > a source for the clamping mechanism?

          I made a project this summer making panoramas 4-5 m outside a 100 m high
          cliff.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/

          This is how it was made.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg

          Another image from my test shots.
          http://www.qtvr.dk/klint/horisontal-pole.jpg
          http://www.qtvr.dk/klint/

          It all had to be invented and homemade as the weight has to be kept down to
          a minimum.
          Pole was a cheap alu flag pole

          For best resolution I used a Canon 5D + 15mm fisheye pointed 20 degrees
          down.
          Upshot made from the cliff.
          Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight a couple
          of gr)

          Still counterweight was 20 - 25 kg which together with tripods and poles is
          a lot when you
          have to walk several km with it.

          Hans
          www.panoramas.dk
        • Alan Ritter
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 16, 2006
            For an easy idea, Steve, how about taking the painter's pole project as
            a base? Now, take a short (24") piece of 1x6 lumber. In the center,
            drill a 3/8" hole and insert a 1/4-20 (tripod thread) "Tee-nut" (that's
            a gizmo that puts metal threads into wood. It is T-shaped and has
            little spikes that keep it from rotating. Must be pulled through the
            wood, though...) in the hole.

            Find two electrical conduit clamps that are the right size to fit the
            painter's pole and drill appropriately sized holes to mount them 3" in
            from each end of the 1x6. Clamp the painter's pole to the 1x6, leaving
            it just loose enough to rotate, and attach the 1x6 to your tripod head.
            Counterbalance the pole/camera and swing it out into space. (Use a
            couple of 2-liter soda bottles as counterbalances and fill 'em up as
            needed for the right balance. If you're shooting near a source of
            water, they'll weigh practically nothing empty and you just fill them
            on-site, then dump the water when you're done.)

            ...I'd have to work out the details but a quick trip to Home Depot,
            Lowe's, etc., should find all of the parts but one. (Why is it that
            NONE of the hardware stores EVER has every last part I need for ANY
            project? Invariably, they'll have 9 of 10 or 99 of 100 parts that I
            need but NOT that last critical piece???) (For those of y'all who
            aren't in N. America, please substitute your favorite local hardware
            store for the above.)

            /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
            http://www.mtritter.org

            Steve Boerner wrote:

            > As a next step with poles, has anyone investigated a way of mounting a
            > pole on a tripod for horizontal work off a building or cliff?
            >
            > The tripod would need to be weighted and pole would need to be
            > counterweighted, but assuming a 1-2 inch diameter pole, does anyone have
            > a source for the clamping mechanism?
            >
            > ,___
          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 17, 2006
              Carel wrote:
              > Nice detailed explanation!

              Thanks!

              > To minimize the "droop", Michel Thoby suggested to
              > ignore the no paralax point and to find the center of gravity of the
              > camera
              > plus panohead instead, so there will be no droop at all. His reasoning was
              > that with the camera that high, there will usually not be any objects
              > close
              > enought to be a paralax concern.
              > See bottom of: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Poleposition/Poleposition.html

              The droop he's referring to is caused by his camera spinner and he's
              ofsetting the camera to its CG (center of gravity) vs. its NPP. So far
              the only droop I have to deal with is when it's used horizontally (and
              that's very rare), I built it for vertical use and the horizontal use is
              merely icing on the cake.

              > Also, the rubber feet on the bottom should be three instead of four, for
              > less wobble on un-even surfaces.

              Good point.

              > I also made a removable pin in the center,
              > to stick it in the ground when the surface is even more un-even.

              Do you think turning it into an ice pick really helps considering the
              distances from the camera when shooting on uneven ground?

              --
              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 17, 2006
                Hi,

                Interesting panorama, I am fascinated by those aerial panos. Too bad the sky isn't looking very nice, but I guess in this time of year, it's the best you can get! ;)
                Anyway, I suppose the topic is about comparition of Pureplayer's Java and Flash viewers, so here's my thought.
                I've put them side by side and it's clearly that the flash panorama is looking much smoother than the java version. More like a better edge antialiasing. And I like that. In terms of scrolling and moving, both performed with simmilar performances. The Java version has the advantage of previewing the panorama while loading, and this could be a plus. The fullscreen version of flash was great, and moved ok on my system. I couldn't activate the java fullscreen version, and I don't know why... When I clicked the fullscreen button, it opens the fullscreen and imediately closes back in a flash...

                Here's a thought. If you started this comparision between Pureplayer Flash and Java, why don't you take it further and using the same panorama, and the same cube properties, use rest of the technologies to make a fully featured comparition. (Pano2QTVR flash and QT, DevalVR mov and jpg, Spi-V, Flashpanorama's Flash player, PTViewer, FSPViewer, etc). I think it would be interesting...

                Best regards,
                Andrei Zdetovetchi

                the panoblogus - http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/

                I made an aerial pano in Bordeaux this afternoon,

                Quite foggy but not as much as last week.

                Java => http://www.bluephot ographie. com/360/360aerie n/lac_pack_ java.html

                Flash =>

                http://www.bluephot ographie. com/360/360aerie n/lac_pack_ flash.html

                (Jpeg 70 2000x2000px)

                erwin

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

              • Carel
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 17, 2006
                  Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                  > The droop he's referring to is caused by his camera spinner and he's
                  > ofsetting the camera to its CG (center of gravity) vs. its NPP. So far
                  > the only droop I have to deal with is when it's used horizontally (and
                  > that's very rare), I built it for vertical use and the horizontal use is
                  > merely icing on the cake.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Pat Swovelin
                  > Cool Guy @ Large

                  There is still considerable off center "bending" (if you want to reserve the
                  word "droop" for horizontal) in the upright position, especially with a
                  heavier camera such as the 5D. It also makes holding the whole thing
                  straight a lot easier. When turning over the NPP there is considerable
                  backward pull and it takes longer to steady after a turn.

                  Regarding the pin: I think I used it once :-)

                  Carel

                • 3rw1n
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 17, 2006
                    That's a good idea but I'd a rather do it with a more beautiful, better
                    stitched ... aerial pano.
                    Anyway, I'll keep your suggestion in mind and will try to make such a
                    comparison (hasn't it been done before?) soon.

[...]

                    the panoblogus - http://www.csvd <http://www.csvd.ro/panoblog/>
                    ro/panoblog/

                    I made an aerial pano in Bordeaux this afternoon,

                    Quite foggy but not as much as last week.

                    Java => http://www.bluephot ographie. com/360/360aerie n/lac_pack_
                    java.html

                    Flash =>

                    http://www.bluephot ographie. com/360/360aerie n/lac_pack_ flash.html

                    (Jpeg 70 2000x2000px)

                    erwin

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mlmsg
                    {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
                    #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                      > Because there's so much interest this week in pano poles and what people
                      > are using here's my 2¢ worth http://tinyurl.com/yx72rj I've been using
                      > this for the past few months with no problems.
                      >
                      > Good luck.
                      >
                      > Pat Swovelin
                      > Cool Guy @ Large

                      While still having restless nights dreaming up schemes to make a compact
                      steppermotor with counter-rotating ballance (to have the rig stop & start
                      without judder), I made this:
                      http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/pole_handle.html
                      It allows one to steady the pole with one hand, while rotating it in easy to
                      eye-ball steps with the other. One tapes the wired or wireless shutter
                      release to near the right or left thumb or finger.

                      Carel Struycken

                    • Robert C. Fisher
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 7, 2007
                        That looks like a good idea! I am in the process of building a pole
                        rig but I like to refer to it as my "Camera on a Stick". I spent most
                        of Saturday working on a few parts in a friend's machine shop. The
                        parts look really simple but they do take a bit of time to make.

                        On Jan 7, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Carel wrote:
                        > While still having restless nights dreaming up schemes to make a
                        > compact
                        > steppermotor with counter-rotating ballance (to have the rig stop &
                        > start
                        > without judder), I made this:
                        > http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com/pole_handle.html
                        > It allows one to steady the pole with one hand, while rotating it
                        > in easy to
                        > eye-ball steps with the other. One tapes the wired or wireless shutter
                        > release to near the right or left thumb or finger.
                        >
                        > Carel Struycken

                        Cheers
                        Robert C. Fisher
                        VR Photography/Cinematography
                      • jeffrey
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 8, 2007
                          what about a GYROSCOPE????????????

                          who's gonna be the first to stick one or two on the bottom of the pole? or
                          do i have my head up my butt? :)

                        • Pat Swovelin
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 8, 2007
                            jeffrey wrote:
                            > what about a GYROSCOPE????????????
                            >
                            > who's gonna be the first to stick one or two on the bottom of the pole?

                            It may be a waste of time because even though the gryos will stabilize
                            the base of the pole you'll still have flex in the pole that won't be
                            effected by the gyros on the other end. Gyros on the top end would be
                            great but the added mass would kill you (gyros are seriously heavy).
                            Not to mention that moving the raised pole would be a pain. Have you
                            ever moved a Steadicam rig with spinning gyros, it moves but you really
                            have to push it around and doing that 18' (or whatever) below the mass
                            on a pole might not be a good thing.

                            > or do i have my head up my butt? :)

                            Yes but that's another story for another time. =8^)

                            Pat Swovelin
                            Cool Guy @ Large
                          • Bjørn K Nilssen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 8, 2007
                              On 8 Jan 2007 at 12:27, Pat Swovelin wrote:

                              > jeffrey wrote:
                              > > what about a GYROSCOPE????????????
                              > >
                              > > who's gonna be the first to stick one or two on the bottom of the pole?
                              >
                              > It may be a waste of time because even though the gryos will stabilize
                              > the base of the pole you'll still have flex in the pole that won't be
                              > effected by the gyros on the other end. Gyros on the top end would be
                              > great but the added mass would kill you (gyros are seriously heavy).
                              > Not to mention that moving the raised pole would be a pain. Have you
                              > ever moved a Steadicam rig with spinning gyros, it moves but you really
                              > have to push it around and doing that 18' (or whatever) below the mass
                              > on a pole might not be a good thing.

                              Another thing is that a steadycam may use gyros to stabilize the cam while moving around -
                              which is quite the opposite of what you want with a panocam ;)
                              I can see no point in using gyros, although RC heli gyros are very light-weight (but
                              expensive).
                              It's much easier to just keep the pole steady by hand.
                              --
                              Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 8, 2007
                                Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                                > On 8 Jan 2007 at 12:27, Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                >
                                >> jeffrey wrote:
                                >>> what about a GYROSCOPE????????????
                                >>>
                                >>> who's gonna be the first to stick one or two on the bottom of the pole?
                                >> It may be a waste of time because even though the gryos will stabilize
                                >> the base of the pole you'll still have flex in the pole that won't be
                                >> effected by the gyros on the other end. Gyros on the top end would be
                                >> great but the added mass would kill you (gyros are seriously heavy).
                                >> Not to mention that moving the raised pole would be a pain. Have you
                                >> ever moved a Steadicam rig with spinning gyros, it moves but you really
                                >> have to push it around and doing that 18' (or whatever) below the mass
                                >> on a pole might not be a good thing.
                                >
                                > Another thing is that a steadycam may use gyros to stabilize the cam
                                > while moving around -
                                > which is quite the opposite of what you want with a panocam ;)

                                Actually gyros are used on a Steadicam rig when you're in windy
                                conditions or on an unstable platform like a ship at sea when it's
                                rolling all over the place, they're not used as a normal part of your
                                rig. The reason they're used is to stabilize the rig when you move and
                                when you're stationary in both cases it's the same thing, you don't want
                                the post (the vertical shaft of the rig) to be swaying about.

                                > I can see no point in using gyros, although RC heli gyros are very
                                > light-weight (but
                                > expensive).
                                > It's much easier to just keep the pole steady by hand.

                                Oh there you go, making it simple again. Besides look at all of the
                                camera gear you can buy with the money you don't spend on gyros. =8^)

                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                              • panovrx
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 8, 2007
                                  A gyroscope would be not be much use on a pole -- it is all to do
                                  with the strength of the gyro and the weight and where the centre of
                                  gravity of the whole assembly is located

                                  however there are other uses of a gyro in pano making

                                  I have a Kenyon gyro which I use sometimes for helping make
                                  stabilized transition movies, and panoramic timelapse movies
                                  (as well as for normal type gyro uses like aerial photography)

                                  One day I will get a Glidecam or similar stabilizer which is a
                                  stabilizer system with a gimbal supported rod -- camera at the top,
                                  counterweight at the bottom of the rod. The counterweight can be a
                                  gyro. This Glidecam/Kenyon setup could be a very effective system I
                                  think for mobile pano capture -- where the pano could be captured
                                  just by turning the rod to the different angles. Because the system
                                  is so balanced it should be easy to do a very accurate zero parallax
                                  sequence handheld. And then shoot a transition movie to the next
                                  locale in a seamless fashion if desired.

                                  Peter
                                  http://www.mediavr.com/blog

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

                                  > >> It may be a waste of time because even though the gryos will
                                  stabilize
                                  > >> the base of the pole you'll still have flex in the pole that
                                  won't be
                                  > >> effected by the gyros on the other end. Gyros on the top end
                                  would be
                                  > >> great but the added mass would kill you (gyros are seriously
                                  heavy).
                                  > >> Not to mention that moving the raised pole would be a pain. Have
                                  you
                                  > >> ever moved a Steadicam rig with spinning gyros, it moves but you
                                  really
                                  > >> have to push it around and doing that 18' (or whatever) below
                                  the mass
                                  > >> on a pole might not be a good thing.
                                  > >
                                  > > Another thing is that a steadycam may use gyros to stabilize the
                                  cam
                                  > > while moving around -
                                  > > which is quite the opposite of what you want with a panocam ;)
                                  >
                                  > Actually gyros are used on a Steadicam rig when you're in windy
                                  > conditions or on an unstable platform like a ship at sea when it's
                                  > rolling all over the place, they're not used as a normal part of
                                  your
                                  > rig. The reason they're used is to stabilize the rig when you move
                                  and
                                  > when you're stationary in both cases it's the same thing, you don't
                                  want
                                  > the post (the vertical shaft of the rig) to be swaying about.
                                  >
                                  > > I can see no point in using gyros, although RC heli gyros are
                                  very
                                  > > light-weight (but
                                  > > expensive).
                                  > > It's much easier to just keep the pole steady by hand.
                                  >
                                  > Oh there you go, making it simple again. Besides look at all of
                                  the
                                  > camera gear you can buy with the money you don't spend on
                                  gyros. =8^)

                                  > Pat Swovelin
                                  > Cool Guy @ Large

                                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 9, 2007
                                    On 9 Jan 2007 at 0:35, panovrx wrote:

                                    > A gyroscope would be not be much use on a pole -- it is all to do
                                    > with the strength of the gyro and the weight and where the centre of
                                    > gravity of the whole assembly is located
                                    >
                                    > however there are other uses of a gyro in pano making
                                    >
                                    > I have a Kenyon gyro which I use sometimes for helping make
                                    > stabilized transition movies, and panoramic timelapse movies
                                    > (as well as for normal type gyro uses like aerial photography)
                                    >
                                    > One day I will get a Glidecam or similar stabilizer which is a
                                    > stabilizer system with a gimbal supported rod -- camera at the top,
                                    > counterweight at the bottom of the rod. The counterweight can be a
                                    > gyro. This Glidecam/Kenyon setup could be a very effective system I
                                    > think for mobile pano capture -- where the pano could be captured
                                    > just by turning the rod to the different angles. Because the system
                                    > is so balanced it should be easy to do a very accurate zero parallax
                                    > sequence handheld. And then shoot a transition movie to the next
                                    > locale in a seamless fashion if desired.

                                    Tell us more !?
                                    Are you talking about something like this http://www.glidecam.com/product-2000-pro.php ?
                                    And are you making tours with a pano -> video transition -> next pano?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 9, 2007
                                      Ok. I have my head up my butt. Excuse me :-D

                                      3b. Re: Budget pano pole/monopod project ...
                                      Posted by: "Pat Swovelin" Panoramas@... nthriwz
                                      Date: Mon Jan 8, 2007 1:10 pm ((PST))

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 9, 2007
                                        jeffrey wrote:
                                        > Ok. I have my head up my butt. Excuse me :-D

                                        Well you don't have to brag about it. =8^)