Re: [PanoToolsNG] New Gopro lens -- sample still

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
      Awesome quality but even better is the photo is taken right out the front of my old office at Underwood House :)

      Matt

      On 3 Nov 2011, at 08:36, panovrx wrote:

      http://www.mediavr.com/gopro406.jpg (6 Meg) -- straight from the camera

      here is a shot from the new Gopro .. the HD Hero2. It has a new lens, sensor etc. Everything is meant to be twice as good, the lens, the resolution etc, ... according to the site and it does seem to be a significant improvement on the HD Hero. Better dynamic range, burst capacity, etc. And a better lens.

      There are still a bunch of issues stopping it being ideal for diystreetview etc
      http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/07/02/4x-gopro-hd-digital-cameras-make-for-nice-panoramas/
      but it is getting there

      it is now 11 megapixel, and can shoot shots like that above continuously at 2 fps indefinitely. It has other intervalometer modes. Soon, they say, there will be a firmware update to allow the use of the 3d "Backpak" for this model -- which will allow syncing for stereo video and stills of two Gopro Hero2. Then later there will be a Wifi Remote Control Backpak which enables synced shooting of up to 45 cameras. Whether that syncs the exposure on all the cameras I am not clear on.

      It seems relatively simple btw to hack the cable on the 3d sync kit to make it longer so you can move the cameras further apart. Conveniently the wires are color coded.

      PeterM

    • Uri
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011

        > http://www.mediavr.com/gopro406.jpg (6 Meg) -- straight from the camera
        >
        > here is a shot from the new Gopro .. the HD Hero2. It has a new lens, sensor etc. Everything is meant to be twice as good, the lens, the resolution etc, ... according to the site and it does seem to be a significant improvement on the HD Hero. Better dynamic range, burst capacity, etc. And a better lens.

        Very attractive... This could make a great RC helicopter borne camera or even a lightweight "pocket" panorama camera. Now I'm curious; Is there a way to set the exposure manually? remote control?
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
          Everybody is driving on the wrong side of the street....

          Uri wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
          >> http://www.mediavr.com/gopro406.jpg (6 Meg) -- straight from the camera
          >>
          >> here is a shot from the new Gopro .. the HD Hero2. It has a new lens, sensor etc. Everything is meant to be twice as good, the lens, the resolution etc, ... according to the site and it does seem to be a significant improvement on the HD Hero. Better dynamic range, burst capacity, etc. And a better lens.
          >

          > Very attractive... This could make a great RC helicopter borne camera or even a lightweight "pocket" panorama camera. Now I'm curious; Is there a way to set the exposure manually? remote control?

        • Rick Drew
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011

            Been using it for almost a week, mostly doing time-lapse with a DIY egg timer base. While it brags 2x the resolution and 2x the sensor size, the still image quality is still pretty bad – lots of artifacting and compression noise. The shutter speed, etc., are all automatic.  I shot a test at my gym – 200 images, one every 2 seconds. People in motion were all blurry. In BRIGHT sunlight things are crisp. Indoors, even in decent light,  not so much.

            Rick Drew

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2011
              Here is a low light indoors shot
              http://www.mediavr.com/gopro419a.jpg

              this is with a bit of Levels and denoising

              here is the original
              http://www.mediavr.com/gopro419.jpg

              I think the pictures are a lot sharper if you use the camera out of the case (or remove the window from the case -- this is what I have done). I also took the spring out of the case shutter button. Then you can press it more gently. Also I made a little lens shade for the lens.

              PeterM