Re: [PanoToolsNG] Drum panorama

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011

      On Nov 2, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

      På Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:54:57 +0100, skrev John Riley <johnriley@...>:

      I have read about an artist who makes some very cool works using a simulated/computed/extracted technique.  In essence, you shoot video of the object while rotating it continuously, extracting the center column of pixels to make a "roll out" image, like you want.  There are other, fancier ways you can do things to get awesome artistic effects.  A good place to start:
      http://www.flong.com/texts/lists/slit_scan/
      That site even has code to automate the process.  Even extracting it while shooting, I think.  I did a few of them a few years back and it was pretty straightforward.  Video quality from your DSLR is so good now that it would look better than back then too.

      Interesting.
      But one problem is the rolling-shutter on all (most?) dslr's, which causes moving objects to get deformed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
      I guess a constant speed device like a vinyl record player should work fine for rotation (33 rpm?)?

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - bk@... - 3D and panoramas

      Isn't the shutter locked up while shooting video?  I don't think those shutter are capable of running 30 fps 8-)

      John Riley
      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
      http://4pi-vr.com
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
        Am 02.11.2011 21:51, schrieb John Riley:

        > Isn't the shutter locked up while shooting video? I don't think those
        > shutter are capable of running 30 fps 8-)

        There is no physical shutter of course but since the sensor has to be
        read sequentially there is an electronic "shutter".

      • Peter Stephens - PanoTools NG list
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011

          What an interesting page, thanks for sharing that link.  Loving some of the images on flickr too - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/slitscan/  Hope to find some time to play around with this…  and might be an option for the drum.

          Pete

          Peter Stephens Photography

          www.peterstephens.co.uk

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
            Thanks Erik, that's interesting.  Is the sensor also read sequentially when shooting photos?  Would that have the potential to cause problems depending on the physical shutter speed?  I have never thought much about that aspect of the reading of the sensor.

            John

            John Riley
            4Pi-VR Media Solutions
            http://4pi-vr.com
            johnriley@...
            (h)864-461-3504
            (c)864-431-7075
            (w)864-503-5775

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
              Am 02.11.2011 23:06, schrieb John Riley:
              > Thanks Erik, that's interesting. Is the sensor also read sequentially
              > when shooting photos?

              Yes, of course. But it is read after the physical shutter closed, so it
              won't have any impact on the image.

              Video rolling shutter can give very strange effects, but it can be
              positively used as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrwrwMfNSs

              (See Blochi's post "Rotor panorama" some weeks ago).

            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                På Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:06:34 +0100, skrev John Riley <johnriley@...>:

                > Thanks Erik, that's interesting. Is the sensor also read sequentially when shooting photos? Would that have the potential to cause problems depending on the physical shutter speed? I have never thought much about that aspect of the reading of the sensor.

                There's a lot of example photos showing the problems it causes with single-shots in that Wikipedia article I linked to above.
                And there are tons of other pages dealing with the rolling-shutter problem and CMOS sensors.
                And there are also (extremely expensive) tools/plugins that can correct some of the problems.

                > John
                >
                > John Riley
                > 4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                > http://4pi-vr.com
                > johnriley@...
                > (h)864-461-3504
                > (c)864-431-7075
                > (w)864-503-5775
                >
                > On Nov 2, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
                >
                >> Am 02.11.2011 21:51, schrieb John Riley:
                >> >
                >> > Isn't the shutter locked up while shooting video? I don't think those
                >> > shutter are capable of running 30 fps 8-)
                >>
                >> There is no physical shutter of course but since the sensor has to be
                >> read sequentially there is an electronic "shutter".

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011

                  > I have read about an artist who makes some very cool works using a simulated/computed/extracted technique. In essence, you shoot video of the object while rotating it continuously, extracting the center column of pixels to make a "roll out" image, like you want. There are other, fancier ways you can do things to get awesome artistic effects. A good place to start:
                  > http://www.flong.com/texts/lists/slit_scan/
                  > That site even has code to automate the process. Even extracting it while shooting, I think. I did a few of them a few years back and it was pretty straightforward. Video quality from your DSLR is so good now that it would look better than back then too.
                  >
                  > John Riley
                  > 4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                  > http://4pi-vr.com
                  > johnriley@...
                  > (h)864-461-3504
                  > (c)864-431-7075
                  > (w)864-503-5775
                  >
                  > On Nov 2, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
                  >
                  > > Often called slit-scan (you'll find lots of links on that with Google)
                  > > Traditionally it was made with a camera with a narrow vertical slit, and film passing slowly past that slit while the rotation was synchronized with the turntable with the object on.
                  > > I've tried to find an automated solution too, but with no success.

                  I unwrapped a painted vase once for a potter who wanted to make a replica, with a decal transfer, of the vase. I put the vase on a panorama head turntable, set it to 5 degrees, and then did 72 shots from straight on, with lighting with polarizers. Then I made a rough 3d CG model of the vase and projected the textures one at a time on the model and rendered a vertical slice from each frame. I stitched them together to make a 360 and mapped that onto the vase to check it looked ok.

                  Then the potter took that panoramic image and used a program that makes gores (foldable shapes) whose name I forget and had the transfer made and made the replica. It looked close to the original I thought.

                  PeterM
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                    Am 02.11.2011 23:22, schrieb Bjørn K Nilssen:
                    > And there are also (extremely expensive) tools/plugins that can
                    > correct some of the problems.

                    Deshaker for VirtualDub (both freeware) will remove rolling shutter from
                    camera movement, but not from object movement.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                      Am 02.11.2011 23:40, schrieb panovrx:
                      > I unwrapped a painted vase once for a potter who wanted to make a
                      > replica [...]

                      Wouldn't it have been easier to project the images on the vase using a
                      slide or video projector? If the projection lens reproduces the same
                      field of view like the taking lens and you have the vase at the same
                      distance you should get the very same image on the vase...

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                        I forget the details of the rendering -- maybe I had to choose a particular mapping or unwrapping or baking or something -- sorry 10 years ago :-)
                        ..but it worked
                        here are the replica vases -- I did 2
                        http://www.norman-lindsay.com.au/art/more_teatowels.html

                        PeterM

                        > Am 02.11.2011 23:40, schrieb panovrx:
                        > > I unwrapped a painted vase once for a potter who wanted to make a
                        > > replica [...]
                        >
                        > Wouldn't it have been easier to project the images on the vase using a
                        > slide or video projector? If the projection lens reproduces the same
                        > field of view like the taking lens and you have the vase at the same
                        > distance you should get the very same image on the vase...
                        >
                        > --
                        > Erik Krause
                        > http://www.erik-krause.de

                      • panovrx
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                          here is the other vase
                          http://www.normanlindsay.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=101557
                          the second image of the slideshow shows what the unwrapped texture looked like

                          > I forget the details of the rendering -- maybe I had to choose a particular mapping or unwrapping or baking or something -- sorry 10 years ago :-)
                          > ..but it worked
                          > here are the replica vases -- I did 2
                          > http://www.norman-lindsay.com.au/art/more_teatowels.html
                          >
                          > PeterM
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Am 02.11.2011 23:40, schrieb panovrx:
                          > > > I unwrapped a painted vase once for a potter who wanted to make a
                          > > > replica [...]
                          > >
                          > > Wouldn't it have been easier to project the images on the vase using a
                          > > slide or video projector? If the projection lens reproduces the same
                          > > field of view like the taking lens and you have the vase at the same
                          > > distance you should get the very same image on the vase...
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > Erik Krause
                          > > http://www.erik-krause.de

                        • Scott Highton
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011
                            Hi Peter,

                            What you're trying to do is the equivalent of a slit scan camera shooting an object on a turntable, as I believe someone else mentioned here.  In general, the narrower the slit, the better your results (unless you go to extremes and then wind up with diffraction problems... don't worry about this for the following).  This sort of work has traditionally been done with slit scan camera/turntable systems such as those available from Roundshot (both film and digital) and Panoscan.

                            You can try a similar approach with a low priced digital camera, a slow moving turntable, and some automated scripts (which you'll probably have to create) in Photoshop.

                            Basically, you shoot a series of images as the object rotates, then extract a center column of pixels from each image, and then stack these columns together (like books in a book case) in Photoshop to create a complete 360° flattened view.  Don't try to "stitch" these columns, but rather, simply abut them next to each other.  The more pictures you take (i.e. the smaller the rotation between each), the fewer number of pixels you'll need to extract from the center of each, and the better your resulting image assembly is likely to be.

                            In a perfect world, you'd only take a single pixel column from each image (the equivalent of a single pixel wide slit or image sensor), but that could entail capturing and extracting thousands of images.

                            However, you may find that you can still get great results by shooting fewer images and extracting 10, 20, or 50 pixel wide columns from the center of each.  You'll have to do your own tests to see what works for the size of the object you're shooting and the resolution of the finished image you need.  And you'll have to figure out how many shots are necessary (how much to rotate the object between each shot) for a full rotation in order to maintain the proper aspect ratio for the resulting file when the columns are all stacked together.  Use a telephoto lens for best results.

                            For example, let's say you want a final image that is 3,600 pixels wide.

                            If you were only going to extract a single pixel column for each source image, you'd need 3,600 images, and you'd have to rotate the object 1/10 of a degree between shots.
                            If you could use 10 pixel (wide) columns instead, you'd need only 360 images where the object was rotated one degree between shots.
                            If you could use 20 pixel columns, you'd need 180 images where the object was rotated two degrees between shots.
                            If you could use 50 pixel columns, you'd need 72 images where the object was rotated five degrees between shots.
                            Or, if you could use 100 pixel columns, you'd need only 36 images where the object was rotated 10 degrees between shots.
                            You see the pattern.

                            Bryan Mumford, developer of the Time Machine camera triggering and time lapse system, has a web page that discusses this approach using his Time Machine, a motorized rotary table, and a digital camera.  The Time Machine controls the rotation of the rotary table and the firing of the camera.  He calls this process "Streak Photography," and he's created some beautifully artistic results, including sequences assembled into QT movies.  The same approach should work for capturing and assembling single "unwrapped" object images.

                            Should you decide that you want to pursue a "stitching" approach instead, consider using a telephoto lens and shoot the object from a distance.  This will compress the differences between high and low points on the surface of the drum and minimize visual distortion or foreshortening of the object in each source image.  Then, enter a long focal length, such as 400mm, in PTGui (you may need to override the  EXIF lens info).  That might  better help with control point generation.

                            Good luck with your efforts, and please let us know about your results (post them so we can see, if possible).

                            Regards,

                            Scott Highton
                            Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                                 320 pages, 300+ illustrations, $44.95
                                 ISBN 978-0-615-34223-8)
                            Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

                          • John Riley
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 2, 2011

                              On Nov 2, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Erik Krause wrote:

                              Am 02.11.2011 23:06, schrieb John Riley:
                              > Thanks Erik, that's interesting. Is the sensor also read sequentially
                              > when shooting photos?

                              Yes, of course. But it is read after the physical shutter closed, so it
                              won't have any impact on the image.

                              Video rolling shutter can give very strange effects, but it can be
                              positively used as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrwrwMfNSs

                              Now, THAT was a crazy ride!  Reminds me of my younger days when a friend handed me something and said "here, eat this", hehehe.

                              You say "Yes, of course", but are you sure about that?  I did a some looking around on the web and I get the impression that DSLRs only use (electronic) rolling shutter when shooting video, but read the whole sensor at once after the shutter closes with stills.

                              Feel free to straighten me out, if need be.

                              John

                              John Riley
                              4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                              http://4pi-vr.com
                              johnriley@...
                              (h)864-461-3504
                              (c)864-431-7075
                              (w)864-503-5775
                            • prague
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 3, 2011
                                YOu might want to ask Igor Marx how he did this

                                http://www.360cities.net/image/strawberry-panorama

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2011

                                  Cool !!  gona have to give that a go now !

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 3, 2011

                                    Hi Scott,

                                    Thanks….  The drum I was experimenting with was only shot with 16 images so no wander I had issues with it…..  also I shot it with an 75mm lens.  Will have another go with far more images and maybe a longer lens.  Loving the time machine photos, need to make some time to try to create some of these cool images.

                                    I’ll post my results here for you to see yes.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 3, 2011

                                      Le 3 nov. 2011 à 10:53, prague a écrit :

                                      YOu might want to ask Igor Marx how he did this

                                      http://www.360cities.net/image/strawberry-panorama

                                      I had posted a page about what I think is a closely related matter. I have converted some QTVR old files to supplement them in Flash. Hoping it all works right:

                                      Michel
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 3, 2011
                                        Am 03.11.2011 04:10, schrieb John Riley:
                                        > I get the impression that DSLRs only use (electronic) rolling shutter
                                        > when shooting video, but read the whole sensor at once after the shutter
                                        > closes with stills.

                                        It isn't possible technically to read the whole sensor at once. You
                                        would need one A/D converter for each sensor cell, not to speak of the
                                        processor which would need to run several million tasks in parallel. You
                                        can't even read all scan lines in parallel.

                                        read
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_pixel_sensor#Array
                                        and
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge-coupled_device#Frame_transfer_CCD

                                        However, since the physical shutter moves at limited speed you get a
                                        rolling shutter effect anyway. If you shoot at exposure times faster
                                        than shortest flash sync (1/250s usually) only a slit moves across the
                                        sensor. See f.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfSW4eW25g

                                      • prague
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 4, 2011
                                          then how does a Global Shutter work?

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 6, 2011
                                            Am 04.11.2011 15:57, schrieb prague:
                                            > then how does a Global Shutter work?

                                            In still photography any non-focal-plane shutter is a global one. For
                                            video apparently CCD sensors don't suffer from rolling shutter (which
                                            was new to me): http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/