Re: [PanoToolsNG] Advice on shooting long mural

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2011
      Roger
      > It's going to probably come down to
      > timing more than anything - how quickly do we capture to minimize light
      > changes, how quickly can we move the rig and shoot and repeat...

      Is it possible to shoot a reference item (e.g. colorchecker)
      in each frame to allow for post-production
      lighting correction.

      This is a compromise with shooting speed of course.

      It's a playoff of images-under-constant-light versus images-correctible-for-light

      BugBear
    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2011

        On Nov 1, 2011, at 3:03 AM, paul womack wrote:

        Is it possible to shoot a reference item (e.g. colorchecker)
        in each frame to allow for post-production
        lighting correction.

        Yes - we'd already decided we needed to shoot a ColorChecker target - not every frame, as we can balance between frames, but depending on the time of day up to every 5-10 minutes (~ every 5-10 frames). There are some common colors in the mural, in the outline, and in the credit blocks, we can also use as semi-objective references for color/density matching across frames, but yes - the photo assistant will probably spend much of her time running back and forth with a ColorChecker SG.

        -R
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
          Am 01.11.2011 15:52, schrieb Roger Howard:
          > the photo assistant will probably spend much of her time running back
          > and forth with a ColorChecker SG.

          For white balance adjustment you don't need a fully featured color
          checker, a gray card would do. Since you will probably use a large
          overlap anyway you can mount it on an arm such that it is in one corner
          of the image. It doesn't need to be sharp, only larger than twice the
          blur in order to ensure you have still a valid gray in it's center.