Re: [PanoToolsNG] best for touch screen?

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2011
      Pedro,

      my VR panoramas are most commonly used with the interactive whiteboards ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLxVjw1yvRk&feature=related ) since last five years. I suppose that the logic of use is similar than with touch screens or other mobile touch screen devices. Even the QTVR or java applets based VR panoramas were very popular. My opinion is that every panorama viewer would fit your needs. I use Pano2VR with flash output at the moment but -i am looking forward for new technologies. My experience is that HTML5 crashes all the time on school PCs...I am staying conservative with flash.

      Bostjan

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

        > greetings!
        > i will soon have to show some panoramas on a touchscreen computer (not an idevice) for public consumption, and i'm wondering what the best software to use is. perhaps more to the point, what to avoid. i've come across suggestions that flash creates problems with touchscreens, others that say the problems are inherent to touchscreens, and therefore common to flash, html, and whatever else is run on them.
        > it's to be used locally only, not on the web -- would qtvr be a safe bet? would the simple ptgui player be okay?
        > any hints and pointers from those with experience, preferably recent, would be very welcome.
        > tia and cheers,
        > pedro

        A friend installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on his PC connected to a touch screen capable monitor and my Flash panos online worked ok

        http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/09/windows-8-hardware-touch-screens-sensor-support-and-robotic-fingers.ars

        PeterM
      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2011
          It depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
          Running single panoramas? A complete tour with coding? Standalone Flash player? Flash in a browser?

          Recently I did a tour with Krpano for touchscreen running as a standalone flash application.

          No problem so far but you have to make sure that you have proper code. No accidentally windows left open and the like.

          Just showing single panoramas is no problem at all either way.

          >>> i've come across suggestions that flash creates problems with touchscreens,

          Could you be a bit more specific?

          Cheers
          J├╝rgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

          > greetings!
          > i will soon have to show some panoramas on a touchscreen computer (not an idevice) for public consumption, and i'm wondering what the best software to use is. perhaps more to the point, what to avoid. i've come across suggestions that flash creates problems with touchscreens, others that say the problems are inherent to touchscreens, and therefore common to flash, html, and whatever else is run on them.
          > it's to be used locally only, not on the web -- would qtvr be a safe bet? would the simple ptgui player be okay?
          > any hints and pointers from those with experience, preferably recent, would be very welcome.
          > tia and cheers,
          > pedro

        • pedro_silva58
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2011
            thank you all for your input.
            i want to run a bunch of single panoramas, probably inside a browser (simplest and cheapest for me, i think). looks like it will be no problem then. i'll complain if it turns out otherwise...

            >>> i've come across suggestions that flash creates problems with touchscreens,
            > Could you be a bit more specific?

            for example, on this very list of ours:
            "flash is a usability nightmare with touchscreen"
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/50864

            cheers,
            pedro
          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2011
              And make sure to change the drag-mode for touchscreeen view.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

              > thank you all for your input.
              > i want to run a bunch of single panoramas, probably inside a browser (simplest and cheapest for me, i think). looks like it will be no problem then. i'll complain if it turns out otherwise...

              > > Could you be a bit more specific?
              >
              > for example, on this very list of ours:
              > "flash is a usability nightmare with touchscreen"
              > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/50864
              >
              > cheers,
              > pedro

            • Jean-Marc Paratte
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2011

                Hi,

                I’ve recently tested a pano on a Windows Seven PC Tablet TouchScreen and other TouchScreen monitors.

                There are 2 main problems to solve:

                1/ The drag action onto the panorama: When we drag with the finger, we naturally wait for the panorama to follow our finger. Actually it’s just the reverse action with the mouse (FlashpanoramaPlayer, behavior 0,1,2, other players I don’t know). PLEASE, ADD QUICKLY A NEW BEHAVIOR TO REVERSE BEHAVIOR MOUSE DIRECTION.

                2/ onOver and onOut events can’t be used. We can use only onClick event. In consequence, we can’t use effects when we fly over a spot: Alt messages, size effects, transparency effects, etc… Only simple buttons are usable.

                jmP