Shooting 3D handheld Panos

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
      Thursday I'm heading off to India for the Pushkar Camel Fair and have plans for shooting handheld 3d panos of the Taj Malha too. No stands are allowed in the Taj, so I'm going to try a handheld 2 camera setup with 2 Canon 15mm lens.
      The remotes are Hahnel Giga T Pro II wireless remote control that features a self-timer, interval timer, long exposure setting and exposure count settings for time-lapse.

      At the Camel Fair where I can us my pole and special pano head for shooting 3d panos I'm thinking of using the Hahnel Giga T Pro II interval timer, or I could use my foot plate and set the rotator dent stops but the interval timer should be faster as I turn the pole by hand.

      Here's what my handheld setup looks like:
      http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d2.jpg

      http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d22.jpg

      http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d222.jpg

      Roger Berry
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
        You could shoot a bunch of regular handheld stereo stills with a nice rig like that too. I use a base to base setup like that with 10.5mm Nikkors and crop (and dewarp) them vertically to make horizontal stereo format stereo stills eg. http://www.mediavr.com/occupyana1.jpg
        I mask the lenses to get more contrast in the area I am using.
        PeterM

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > Thursday I'm heading off to India for the Pushkar Camel Fair and have plans for shooting handheld 3d panos of the Taj Malha too. No stands are allowed in the Taj, so I'm going to try a handheld 2 camera setup with 2 Canon 15mm lens.
        > The remotes are Hahnel Giga T Pro II wireless remote control that features a self-timer, interval timer, long exposure setting and exposure count settings for time-lapse.
        >
        > At the Camel Fair where I can us my pole and special pano head for shooting 3d panos I'm thinking of using the Hahnel Giga T Pro II interval timer, or I could use my foot plate and set the rotator dent stops but the interval timer should be faster as I turn the pole by hand.
        >
        > Here's what my handheld setup looks like:
        > http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d2.jpg
        >
        > http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d22.jpg
        >
        > http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_5d222.jpg
        >
        > Roger Berry

      • onezebra1
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
          This is my custom made 3D pano head setup that I will be using around the Pushkar Camel Fair.
          With this setup I can mount my cameras a few different ways and adjust how far apart they are.
          http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head2.jpg
          http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head3.jpg

          I probably will shoot many regular 3D panoramic photos shooting around 12 photos and stitching them together.
          I also have 2 Nikkor 10.5mm lens and 2 canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

          Roger Berry

          > You could shoot a bunch of regular handheld stereo stills with a nice rig like that too. I use a base to base setup like that with 10.5mm Nikkors and crop (and dewarp) them vertically to make horizontal stereo format stereo stills eg. http://www.mediavr.com/occupyana1.jpg
          > I mask the lenses to get more contrast in the area I am using.
          > PeterM
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
            Interesting to see the bar at the back going down. To stop too much torque on the head of the pole I guess. Still lateral torque if the pole got unlevel somehow would worry me with two heavy cameras like that way above my head!

            PeterM

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

            > This is my custom made 3D pano head setup that I will be using around the Pushkar Camel Fair.
            > With this setup I can mount my cameras a few different ways and adjust how far apart they are.
            > http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head2.jpg
            > http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head3.jpg
            >
            > I probably will shoot many regular 3D panoramic photos shooting around 12 photos and stitching them together.
            > I also have 2 Nikkor 10.5mm lens and 2 canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.
            >
            > Roger Berry
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You could shoot a bunch of regular handheld stereo stills with a nice rig like that too. I use a base to base setup like that with 10.5mm Nikkors and crop (and dewarp) them vertically to make horizontal stereo format stereo stills eg. http://www.mediavr.com/occupyana1.jpg
            > > I mask the lenses to get more contrast in the area I am using.
            > > PeterM

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
              So shooting on a diagonal gives a full 360 at 4 around???

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
                Having the cameras sitting diagonal is only used for my Canon 15mm lenses to get 180° vertical FOV out of these lenes.
                For shooting 360° 3D panos I will need to shoot 30 or more shots per camera as only the center vertical part of each shot is used.

                For shooting regular panos with the Canon 15mm lens mounted diagonal you need about 9 shots like shown here.
                http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/77.html

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
                  What you said about 4 shots around diagonally got me thinking about my Canon 8-15mm lens for shooting regular panos.
                  Gave it a quick test set at 14mm and 4 shots around and it worked. Will do some more testing tomorrow.

                  > So shooting on a diagonal gives a full 360 at 4 around???

                • Bostjan Burger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2011
                    Interesting set and a curage to do handheld panoramas with 15 mm lense. I know that the common (wrong) terminology is 3D photography but right would be stereo photography. That what use "3D" movies or "3D" screens is only a "3D effect", but still stereo.

                    :) Bostjan