help in choosing some lens...

  • Bruce Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2011
      Greetings,
      On this topic, can anyone help with fish eye and super wides lens recommendations. My goals are to
      have 2 lens, 8mm fish eye ( for example; Peleng, Tokina, Bower, Samyang )
       and 10-?mm super wide fixed or zoom (example 14mm Bower) to fill in the gap to my 18-55mm
      I have a Canon XSi, I'm doing indoor, outdoor work, on a fixd income. Pan head
      I'm considering Nodai Ultimate R1 on a carbon tripod. To do 360/180vr pan's
      Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
      Thank You ,
      Bruce
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2011
        Hi Bruce,

        the Peleng 8mm is a fun to use lens, but has serious lens flare issues. I use it for handheld panos, not for comissioned work. Fos assignments I use a Tokina 10-17 which is a good lens and produces far less lens flare. With the Peleng I could do a pano with 4 shots and some retouching in zenit and nadir (It´s better to use 6 shots, since the distortion in the edges is very high. With the Tokina I always do 7 shots (6 tilted 12.5º down and one zenit). About the "shaving" question, I mostly shoot with a 50D (which is a crop sensor the same size ratio as the Rebel) and you won´t notice if it is shaved or not.

        Best regards

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • Jesse Garnier
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2011
          On 10/24/11 7:16 AM, Bruce Martin wrote:

          > On this topic, can anyone help with fish eye and super wides lens
          > recommendations. My goals are to have 2 lens, 8mm fish eye (for
          > example; Peleng, Tokina, Bower, Samyang) and 10-?mm super wide fixed
          > or zoom (example 14mm Bower) to fill in the gap to my 18-55mm.

          On a crop body like your XSi, the 5.6mm Sunex or 4.5mm Sigma will
          produce a full circular image and produce good results with the fewest
          possible images. I mostly shoot handheld three-around with the 4.5mm
          Sigma on a 50D. I have been very pleased with the quality with my 4.5mm
          Sigma, though it can be finicky to focus.

          The Sunex is set at its hyperfocal point, and also has a fixed aperture,
          so there's no fussing. I evaluated both the Sigma and Sunex when I
          bought this round of equipment a few years ago. My own informal testing
          showed they were similar in sharpness, though I'd be interested in other
          opinions on this.

          I understand from your message cost is an issue though, and
          unfortunately both of these lenses sell for about double what the
          cheaper 8mm lenses cost.

          --
          Jesse Garnier
          http://www.stonehopper.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2011
            Sunex is a truly horrible lens. No one should ever use that thing.