Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: grandfather's slides

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 18, 2011
      Hi Jeff!!
      :-)
      Loook who is here?!

      I had a Nikon Coolscan in university.

      That crappy feeder won't last 10.000 slides without repair.
      It won't work on Kodachrome paper slide frames
      it won't work on gepe glass slide frames
      it will hung on different frame thickness
      Digital ICE won't work on Kodachrome

      but it is a better scanner then Reflecta, but if you wand a slide scanner for 35mm alone, the 5400 Konica Minolta is FAR better choice than the 5000ED in many senses.

      I was very very happy with Epson V750, and own an old 4870. Intelligent choice if you need to scan medium, large or strange film formats.

      IMHO choices are two:
      1- the Reflecta
      2- a very intensive modding of a Kodak Carousel or Rollei hi-end projector (computer controllable via rs232)
      Calibrated LED light, substitution of optics with a dedicated camera+macro lens.
      I'd choose a Canon550D for remotability.

      2011/9/26 prague <panoramas@...>

      LOL

      I love this list :)

      Yes, I can certainly wait 8 years until our robot overlords reach a prepubescent phase. In some ways this is the best answer - worrying about it later is just very appealing to me :)

      Only question is, how to "whack together an archival-grade vault" ? I would guess that this might not be quite as simple as Blochi suggests.

      For now the slides have been moved to self storage in a facility, in a large warehouse that is climate-controlled. with autumn and winter approaching I think all is ok, but I should move them into a better place relatively soon I think.

      My only question - will such software really continue evolving? We won't run out of slides to scan in the next years? I mean, the technology of scanning slides isn't exactly at the forefront of consumer demand, is it.

      > Hi Jeffrey,
      >
      > I wholeheartedly agree with Wim.
      >
      > Whack together an archival-grade vault, can't be harder than modding a PC case. Some humidity and temperature controller. And your slides will outlive any digital image file you could make today. Not only bit rod, but also in terms of quality processing. Wait 5 or 8 years. Then it will sound silly to you to edit with the crappy tools we have today. I still believe in the HDR revolution, and your slides may have so much latitude that you'd have to be concerned to A) scan all it all, and B) preserve it during postprocessing. You'd have to tonemap it today, irreversibly squeeze and push to fit in through our current 8-bit pipelines. In 3 years you won't have to do this anymore, and in 5 you will just shake your head about how badly we treated our image data these days. And when you wait 8, Wim's AI will be happy to do it for you. But don't wait 13 years, because then you will actually have to discuss with the AI and convince it or bribe it for a favor.  ;)
      >
      > Blochi

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: