throwable panoramic ball camera

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
    • Blake Michaelson
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
        Brilliant!  I want one.

        On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

          > this is genius.
          > http://jonaspfeil.de/ballcamera

          yes as camera units become so tiny it is interesting to think of uses for compact/dense camera arrays -- like this 5mm thick stereo camera http://iainsinclair.com/poco_3d_info.html
        • ziouga
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

            > this is genius.

            Indeed!

            With balls like those the Google folks are soon going to streetview even the most difficult places. Hop-click, hop-click, hop-click...

            ciao
            Alessandro
          • Mark D. Fink
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011

              Just waiting for them to put these in a soccer ball that shoots streaming video. :o)

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                On 2011-10-14 5:05 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                Great concept.
                The panos need better stitching and color matching.

                The quality of the images from the cameras chosen are not the greatest. Reminds me of when I tried using web cameras to create a multicamera pano setup. No two of the cameras responded the same. And each camera was stuck on auto exposure and auto white balance.

                The cameras need to be calibrated so they respond the same. The cameras need to use one white balance (or shoot RAW). Auto exposure is ok, as long as, there is plenty of overlap, else they need to be slaves to a single sensor. I don't expect to find inexpensive cameras with these requirements.

                I don't want something I can throw into the air but put on a tripod to record pano-video.
                By using lots of small cameras it is possible to reduce the parallax error that is unavoidable when using a multi camera pano setup. It is the distance between lens centers that is important to reduce as much as possible. As a stationary setup the processing guts can be removed and placed below the ball to get the cameras as close together as possible.

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                • edufrick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Something is very wrong with the sample panorama image. It is not Equirectangular and clearly does not cover 360 degrees. And there must be a way to calibrate the cameras to avoid such discrepancy of contrast between them.

                    [] Eduardo

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

                    > this is genius.
                    > http://jonaspfeil.de/ballcamera

                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                      OK, who will be the first to design a giant slingshot for it?

                      John Riley
                      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                      http://4pi-vr.com
                      johnriley@...
                      (h)864-461-3504
                      (c)864-431-7075
                      (w)864-503-5775

                      On Oct 14, 2011, at 4:05 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

                      this is genius.
                      http://jonaspfeil.de/ballcamera

                    • Matthew Rogers

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                          Its going to end up in a sex toy isn't it....

                          To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                            Hopefully... ;-)
                            Rodolpho Pajuaba
                            www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
                            www.pajuaba.com.br/panoblog
                            www.pajuaba.com.br/traduzindophotoshop
                            Follow me on Twitter - @rpajuaba

                            2011/10/14 Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@...>

                            Its going to end up in a sex toy isn't it....

                            Just don't let this woman anywhere near it:

                            Matt

                          • robert
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                              Yes, it just keeps getting more interesting, the digital nano age of photography.

                              Image if you could capture and display pixels at the nano level, would make Lenticular displays just amazing. One day soon perhaps even in live video, then you could forget the 3D glasses.

                              > yes as camera units become so tiny it is interesting to think of uses for compact/dense camera arrays -- like this 5mm thick stereo camera http://iainsinclair.com/poco_3d_info.html

                            • Christian Bloch
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 14, 2011
                                You mean, like on the Nintendo 3Ds?
                                Its 3d photo app is a lot of fun, actually. And movie trailers look incredible in glasses-free 3D.

                                Blochi

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 15, 2011
                                  Well, considering Rule 34, it is inevitable.

                                  John Riley
                                  4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                                  http://4pi-vr.com
                                  johnriley@...
                                  (h)864-461-3504
                                  (c)864-431-7075
                                  (w)864-503-5775

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 15, 2011
                                    Ah, so thats how Nintendo did that. I've never seen one as I don't really play any computer games as I work on computer too much during the day to want to relax in front of one.

                                    But it makes perfect sense, done well it is amazing. Some day I will probably do some art print work with this, I saw a very nice set of work a couple of months ago, just stunning when done well.

                                    cheers,

                                    Robert