Samyang for Pentax ASP-C

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
      Question: Does anyone know if there is an adapter from 4/3 lens to Pentax
      body? I know there's one for 4/5 to NEX, although I haven't been able to
      track it down. Perhaps the same manufacturer does one for Pentax?

      I saw the little Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for 4/3 cameras mounted on a Sony
      NEX-3
      and said to myself "Wow! That's one really compact setup..." For me, the
      key
      advantage would be that, being designed for 4/3, the 7.5mm lens would have
      full circular image (although I know some if not all of the built-in lens
      hood would have to be shaved off to make the full circle available on the
      larger ASP-C sensor).

      However, I just can't get to like the NEX series, and have decided to stick
      with my favorite, the Pentax K-x.

      At the moment I have the 10-17mm zoom fisheye, which is a great lens (the
      same
      optically as the Tokina 10-17mm zoom), but I hate having to take 6+1 or 2
      around
      so I usually end up using my Peleng 8mm M42 lens, with an adaptor and a
      neat
      ring mount that Bo Lorentzen made, to take 4 around with the lens tilted
      so that
      the diagonal is vertical. One problem is that when there are lots of people
      moving around in the scenes I take, the seams are not vertical, so they
      often
      cut across bodies or legs, which makes things difficult. <sigh>

      I've got used to the Peleng's quirks, and get satisfactory results, but I'd
      love to be able to use a circular fisheye. The earlier Samyang 8mm F/3.5
      would
      not give me much advantage over the Peleng except maybe in flare resistance
      (although I understand it's not a stellar performer in that regard) as it
      is
      a full-frame fisheye and barely even covers 180 degrees.

      But with the new 4/3 Samyang, I wouldn't need a ring mount because the
      camera
      wouldn't need to be tilted, so the seams would have a better chance of
      falling
      between people (who generally tend to stand more or less vertically).
      <grin>

      Oh, and if I'm wrong about the new Samyang, please correct me!

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
        På Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:31:41 +0200, skrev Roger D. Williams <roger@...>:

        > Question: Does anyone know if there is an adapter from 4/3 lens to Pentax
        > body? I know there's one for 4/5 to NEX, although I haven't been able to
        > track it down. Perhaps the same manufacturer does one for Pentax?

        Your mixing the 4/3 formats. The new 7.5mm lens is not for 4/3, but micro 4/3 (or MFT or M43 or M4/3)
        I don't think that you'll ever be able to fit a lens for a mirrorless body to a dSLR.

        --
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
          Thanks! That's news to me... I didn't know there was any difference, thought "4/3" was just the short form of "Micro 4/3." Duh! I suppose the "Micro" means smaller?

          Roger

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
            På Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:24:09 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams <roger@...>:

            > Thanks! That's news to me... I didn't know there was any difference, thought "4/3" was just the short form of "Micro 4/3." Duh! I suppose the "Micro" means smaller?

            They use the same sensor size, but MFT is mirrorless, and as such can use smaller lenses, like the Samyang 7.5mm, which is really looking like a good choice for a small lightweight setup :)

            > Roger
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
            >
            >> På Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:31:41 +0200, skrev Roger D. Williams <roger@...>:
            >>
            >>> Question: Does anyone know if there is an adapter from 4/3 lens to Pentax
            >>> body? I know there's one for 4/5 to NEX, although I haven't been able to
            >>> track it down. Perhaps the same manufacturer does one for Pentax?
            >>
            >> Your mixing the 4/3 formats. The new 7.5mm lens is not for 4/3, but micro 4/3 (or MFT or M43 or M4/3)
            >> I don't think that you'll ever be able to fit a lens for a mirrorless body to a dSLR.

            --
            Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
              It means that the "flange/back distance is shorter in the M43 than the 4/3 cameras.

              The M43 lenses are closer to the sensor so you can't use them other cameras that have much longer flange/back distances.

              Roger D Williams wrote:
              > Thanks! That's news to me... I didn't know there was any difference, thought "4/3" was just the short form of "Micro 4/3." Duh! I suppose the "Micro" means smaller?
              >
              > Roger
              >
              > Sent from my iPad
              >
              > On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
              >
              >> PÃ¥ Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:31:41 +0200, skrev Roger D. Williams <roger@...>:
              >>
              >>> Question: Does anyone know if there is an adapter from 4/3 lens to Pentax
              >>> body? I know there's one for 4/5 to NEX, although I haven't been able to
              >>> track it down. Perhaps the same manufacturer does one for Pentax?
              >> Your mixing the 4/3 formats. The new 7.5mm lens is not for 4/3, but micro 4/3 (or MFT or M43 or M4/3)
              >> I don't think that you'll ever be able to fit a lens for a mirrorless body to a dSLR.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
              >>

              >> ------------------------------------
              >>
              >> --

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
                On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 23:44:22 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                wrote:

                > På Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:24:09 +0200, skrev Roger D Williams
                > <roger@...>:
                >
                >> Thanks! That's news to me... I didn't know there was any difference,
                >> thought "4/3" was just the short form of "Micro 4/3." Duh! I suppose
                >> the "Micro" means smaller?
                >
                > They use the same sensor size, but MFT is mirrorless, and as such can
                > use smaller lenses, like the Samyang 7.5mm, which is really looking like
                > a good choice for a small lightweight setup :)

                Aha! So the reason it works on the NEX, which has an ASP-C sensor, is
                that it, too, is mirrorless.

                I get it now.

                The Sigma fisheye designed for full circular images on ASP-C is very
                expensive and doesn't have a good reputation. Maybe I could get to like
                a NEX? That "standard" lens (at the equivalent of 24mm) suits my
                non-panorama shooting style very well.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2011
                  It is not exactly straightforward to use the Samyang 7.5mm on a Nex. First the usual M43 to Nex adapters on Ebay are a little too thick so people are removing a couple of spacing rings inside the Samyang to get it to infinity focus on the Nex. Then you need to shave the Samyang to get full circle coverage. Then you have the issue of no remote socket. Reports are also that it needs to be stopped down a lot to make it sharp across the format and there is a rogue reflection which causes grief sometimes. There is a comprehensive discussion here
                  http://www.panoguide.com/forums/tipsntricks/9644/

                  PeterM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2011
                    Oh dear. That doesn't sound like anything I would want get into. Pity... thanks for the warning.

                    roger.

                    Sent from my iPad