JavaScript object viewer with tiled zooming?

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
      I'm working on a new project and am in need of an object viewer that
      has zoom functionality using pre-generated tiled imagesets (like
      Zoomify, SeaDragon, and many other tools use). The closest I've found
      so far is this:

      http://www.ajax-zoom.com/examples/example15.php

      However it is too tied to PHP (for config, for tile generation, etc)
      for my needs (my current Web app framework is Django) and hoping not
      to have to rip it apart.

      I'm somewhat torn on whether I should be doing zooming in an object
      viewer at all, but my (internal) customers want to see it before
      deciding.

      So anyone know of a JavaScript 360 object viewer with tiled zooming
      other than the one above?

      For what it's worth, I'm using the SeaDragon library for zoomable
      still images and quite happy with it so far.

      Thanks,

      Roger
    • Matt Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
        Roger,

        I haven't looked to deep, but wouldn't you be able to iframe to the page with the 360 from content within django?

        Matt Smith
        PhotoSpherix
        317.396.5791
        Indianapolis, Indiana USA

        On Oct 4, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Roger Howard wrote:

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Matt Smith <masmith@...> wrote:

          Roger,

          I haven't looked to deep, but wouldn't you be able to iframe to the page with the 360 from content within django?

          Not really sure what you're getting at - I mean yes, all the content is stored within Django, and the views (pages, primarily) are generated by Django, but I still need a viewer. I can write a basic JavaScript object viewer in my sleep, but tiled/multires views start getting complicated.

          It looks like krpano can support multirez, tiled object viewing (Patrick Cheatham has an example) so I need to look more into that - if anyone knows of a tutorial that covers this specifically I'd love to see it! I guess I should reach out to Patrick...

          -R
        • Jan Martin

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
              Roger,

              see if this works on a page in django

              <iframe src="http://www.ajax-zoom.com/examples/example15.php" width="50%" height="300">
              </iframe>

              If it does, make a 360 view that is just the player and then add it to your pages content. Just a thought.

              Matt Smith
              PhotoSpherix
              317.396.5791
              Indianapolis, Indiana USA

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
                On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Matt Smith <masmith@...> wrote:

                Roger,

                see if this works on a page in django

                <iframe src="http://www.ajax-zoom.com/examples/example15.php" width="50%" height="300">
                </iframe>

                If it does, make a 360 view that is just the player and then add it to your pages content. Just a thought.

                Again, of course it will - there's no reason an iframe won't work in Django app - any iframe issues are purely a limitation of the browser, not the server-side scripting language. But I'm not running PHP on my server just to run an object viewer so unless the PHP components are hosted for me on another server - and that's really not an option in this case - this doesn't really help.

                Can the Ajax Zoom player be effectively separated from its PHP components? For instance, can you provide a tileset for the images, generated offline by one of the many tools that can do so, or do you have to use its backend to generate the tilesets?

                In other words, can I use just the JavaScript/CSS bits (the client-side parts), without their backend (the php parts)?

                Have you used it with zoomable/multirez object VR?

                Thanks!