Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Problems at 360cities on iPad?

  • Ben Newhouse
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
      This is probably just a javascript bug in 360 cities wherein they're not properly checking for the orientation of the device (there are callbacks for ondeviceorientation and you can also look at the page body width IIRC).  The only thing different from being linked from facebook is possibly a link that 360cities themselves generates and the referrer likely being set as from facebook (although this practice is dying with javascript redirects).  I.E. programming can be hard, and it's likely that 360cities just missed an edge case - no need to develop conspiracy theories.

      On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

      There is nothing wrong... Apple decided it is more energy saving if you turn your head sideways.

      Accept and adopt...  :)

      More seriously though... it is a format which is not a standard.  One should expect problems until it is established as a standard .... in a few years.... if it can survive that long.

      Trausti

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
        Conspiracy aside... it is ok to check with reality... and the lighter (humouristic) side of life from time to time.

        Trausti

        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Ben Newhouse <newhouseb@...> wrote:

        This is probably just a javascript bug in 360 cities wherein they're not properly checking for the orientation of the device (there are callbacks for ondeviceorientation and you can also look at the page body width IIRC).  The only thing different from being linked from facebook is possibly a link that 360cities themselves generates and the referrer likely being set as from facebook (although this practice is dying with javascript redirects).  I.E. programming can be hard, and it's likely that 360cities just missed an edge case - no need to develop conspiracy theories.

      • Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM, robert <image360@...> wrote:

          iOS is a unfortunate nightmare for us all. Each iOS device must be considered/tested alone per revision or update. While Apple hardware in general is closed and solid, their software is unique to each platform. and different.

          Have you ever developed anything for iOS? You couldn't be more wrong. All arguments about Flash support, single-source app market, and other market issues aside, this is so wrong - I can't think of another platform today that is *more* stable from a developer's standpoint (whether you *like* developing for it is another story - I personally despise Obj-C).

          Windows - half a dozen major development platforms, several major browsers with multiple (and signficantly different) versions, massive variation in every PC (installed drivers, different runtimes - so-called "DLL hell")
          Mac OSX - Classic, Carbon, Cocoa, massive API differences between major releases.
          Linux - I love me some Linux, but it's hardly the hallmark of a stable set of APIs. Multiple major desktop environments, each with their own GUI toolkits; etc.
          Android - major variations in hardware capabilties, major revs between OS updates, an evolving target (though still easier than almost any desktop environment).
          iOS - essentially two targets for 99% of apps - iPhone/iPodTouch and iPad. APIs almost entirely backwards compatible. Apps almost entirely forwards compatible. One common browser, completely backwards compatible so far.

          Even if it was true that each iOS device must be tested for - which it isn't, except for edgiest of edge cases (use of undocumented APIs, for instance) - you're talking about the smallest number of devices of any major computing platform on the market. Today it's pretty much iPhone 3gs, 4g, iPad 1 and 2, and iPod Touch (camera models).

          Seriously. Troll. And I know I'm feeding it.