Re: any luck faking out DPP lens corrections for non-Canon lenses? Some success

  • David
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 2, 2011
      BTW the -vo option just gives me an superfluous or invalid option error so I dropped it off.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dburton97128@...> wrote:

      > OK, thanks for all the advice.
      >
      > I did this:
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:LensType=490 set to canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:LongFocal=15 max zoom
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:ShortFocal=8 min zoom
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:LensModel=Samyang8mm
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:FocusDistanceUpper=3
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:FocusDistanceLower=1
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:FNumber=8
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:FocusRange=10
      >
      > -n -L -Canon:TargetAperture=8
      >
      > Many of these probably have no effect and the ones that do probably could be further optimized but it does work for my Samyang 8mm.
      >
      > In the lens correction screen any peripheral illumination is very bad so turn it off.
      >
      > For CA, slide the bar to '0', then tweak the R/B sliders for best results. A single position does not give the best results everywhere in the image so some compromise is made. Mine are both just under the furthest right positions.
      >
      > Thanks, and if anyone can offer more optimized settings for the Samyang 8mm I'd like to hear it.
      >
      > David B
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The focus distance set in DPP's 'Lens aberration correction' has a significant influence on the effect of the settings for de-vignetting and CA removal, but even if you apply a recipe file containing values for these corrections, the shooting distance still needs to be set manually for each individual RAW file or it will always be at infinity. This is not very convenient if you want to process a larger number of images in one go.
      > >
      > > I tried the parameters listed below in the command line for ExifTool/ExifToolGUI to see if they had an effect on those corrections, but alas they did not.
      > > -Canon:FocusRange="5"
      > > -Canon:FocusDistanceUpper="3"
      > > -Canon:FocusDistanceLower="1"
      > > These change the EXIF as intended, but apparently these are not the ones needed for the lens aberration correction in DPP.
      > >
      > > Does anyone know how to set the focus distance in Canon RAW EXIF to make this work?
      > >
      > > Erik Leeman
      > >
      > > <http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ah, easy!
      > > > Just had to add the ShortFocal tag with an appropriate numeric
      > > > value to the string, so it reads like this:
      > > >
      > > > -n -L -v0 -Canon:LensType=13 -Canon:ShortFocal=15
      > > >
      > > > and DPP now also lets me access the 'Lens aberration correction'
      > > > menu for my 5D + 15mm SIGMA Fisheye RAW files using initial
      > > > settings that should fit my lens very well, excellent!
      > > >
      > > > Cheers!
      > > >
      > > > Erik Leeman

    • dorindxn
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 27 4:05 AM
        Then is easier, I had the impression that you use a non-Canon fish-eye zoom lens like Tokina 10-17mm, that way I said that will be difficult for you than my fixed 8mm, but now I read again and saw that was about Samyang.

        The 10-22 patch then might be enough.

        cheers,
        Dorin