Re: [PanoToolsNG] Online Photo Storage

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
      On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:03 AM, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

      > Hello. I am approaching 400G of photos that I am currently storing on an external 1TB hard drive and until recently, I thought was being backed up by Carbonite daily. I just found out that Carbonite only backs up the hard drive on the computer and does not allow backing up files from any external drive.
      >
      > I am looking for suggestions for storing my digital photo files safely without having to mortgage my house to pay for the service.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your responses.

      I had the exact same experience with Carbonite but unfortunately after a disk crash in which I lost some vital data and had to pay for very expensive data recovery services. Incidentally, I had the devil's own job getting Carbonite to stop sending me reminders and sales pitches long after I had vowed never to buy anything from them ever again!

      I suggest another 1TB disk!

      Roger W.

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        How is your external drive connected? Is it via USB? I wonder if it had an
        eSATA connector if Carbonite would still think it was external.

        The system I use is an internal RAID - 2 2TB drives - and an external
        Cavalry box that holds 2 2TB drives in a RAID array as well. I synchronize
        the two drive arrays so that whenever I leave the house, the external drives
        go with me. That way, at work, I can get stuff done during lunch if
        necessary, then synch when I get back home. Adding something like Carbonite
        as a third destination would give me an extra level of comfort for those
        times when two simultaneous meteorites take out both my home computer and
        the external drives sitting on my desk at work. I just hate it when that
        happens...

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com