Re: [PanoToolsNG] Online Photo Storage

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
      På Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:03:07 +0200, skrev gregoryv92821 <gregvoisan@...>:

      > Hello. I am approaching 400G of photos that I am currently storing on an external 1TB hard drive and until recently, I thought was being backed up by Carbonite daily. I just found out that Carbonite only backs up the hard drive on the computer and does not allow backing up files from any external drive.
      >
      > I am looking for suggestions for storing my digital photo files safely without having to mortgage my house to pay for the service.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your responses.

      I've been using secondcopy for many years, it works great and is very cheap. It lets you back up whatever you want whenever you want to wherever you want, with as many backed up versions as you want, even via ftp to the cloud.
      With a couple of extra 1TB drives and an ftp account you'll be safer than the bank :)

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2011
        On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:03 AM, "gregoryv92821" <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I am approaching 400G of photos that I am currently storing on an external 1TB hard drive and until recently, I thought was being backed up by Carbonite daily. I just found out that Carbonite only backs up the hard drive on the computer and does not allow backing up files from any external drive.
        >
        > I am looking for suggestions for storing my digital photo files safely without having to mortgage my house to pay for the service.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your responses.

        I had the exact same experience with Carbonite but unfortunately after a disk crash in which I lost some vital data and had to pay for very expensive data recovery services. Incidentally, I had the devil's own job getting Carbonite to stop sending me reminders and sales pitches long after I had vowed never to buy anything from them ever again!

        I suggest another 1TB disk!

        Roger W.

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
          How is your external drive connected? Is it via USB? I wonder if it had an
          eSATA connector if Carbonite would still think it was external.

          The system I use is an internal RAID - 2 2TB drives - and an external
          Cavalry box that holds 2 2TB drives in a RAID array as well. I synchronize
          the two drive arrays so that whenever I leave the house, the external drives
          go with me. That way, at work, I can get stuff done during lunch if
          necessary, then synch when I get back home. Adding something like Carbonite
          as a third destination would give me an extra level of comfort for those
          times when two simultaneous meteorites take out both my home computer and
          the external drives sitting on my desk at work. I just hate it when that
          happens...

          Mark

          www.northernlight.net
          www.virtual-travels.com