EF 8-15 mm f4 L:review of the new Canon Fisheye Zoom

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2011
      Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...

      Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
      http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html

      Michel Thoby
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2011
        Thank you very much, Michel for taking your time to write such an extended review!

        Jürgen

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

        > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
        >
        > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
        > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
        >

        > Michel Thoby

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 26, 2011
          Excellent  job Michael.

          :) Bostjan

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2011
            As always the review to look at!

            thanks Prof.Thoby!

            regards,

            Antonio

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

            > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
            >
            > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
            > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
            >

            > Michel Thoby

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

              > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
              >
              > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
              > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html

              I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
              I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap design.
              Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181 degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.

              Here is a low light high iso test
              http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
              (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)

              Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.

              PeterM
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011

                Bad link.

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011

                  > Bad link.

                  Sorry shd be ok now.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011

                    Yes, that’s a very good lens. I see no hint of any CA.

                    Detail seems good considering the heavy jpg compression and noise reduction.

                    Sacha Griffin

                    http://www.seeit360.com

                    http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                    http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                    EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                    IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    Office: 404-551-4275

                    >>I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
                    I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare
                    resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap
                    design.
                    Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle
                    contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181
                    degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on
                    a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.

                    Here is a low light high iso test
                    http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                    (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)

                    Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.

                    PeterM

                  • 1drey
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011
                      Great illustration of 8-15 potential!
                      I would add to it's merits a very well controlled coma - no nasty glow around the big sources of light.

                      Will be my next lens, hopefully soon.

                      Thank you for sharing this test pano!

                      Andrey

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Bad link.
                      > >

                      > Sorry shd be ok now.
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                      >

                      > >>I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
                      > I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare
                      > resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap
                      > design.
                      > Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle
                      > contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181
                      > degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on
                      > a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.
                      >
                      > Here is a low light high iso test
                      > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                      > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                      >
                      > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                      >
                      > PeterM

                    • robert
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 20, 2011
                        So, it's a great lens, not really much of a surprise since Canon seems to be finally hitting all gears on super wides. I mean what could you expect after the 17mm TS lens?

                        But is there any perfect lens for 360's?

                        Peter's example is filled with errors if you look a bit too close. Are all fish-eye lens's just problematic from a NPP?

                        Robert

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                        > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
                        >
                        > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
                        > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
                        >

                        > Michel Thoby

                      • texas360dave
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 21, 2011
                          Canon lens... but what Canon Camera are you using ?

                          Yes, I too am impressed with the color, clarity, sharpness. Your images are just truely spectacular.

                          I did look at the MTF chart for this lens.. and it performs as well as or better (sharpness, and contrast curves) than the Nikor 10.5mm lens. BUT, the camera specs are important too. The photographer expertise also plays a very large part in taking a spectacular image set.

                          Thanks for the SUPER show and tell.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "1drey" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                          > Great illustration of 8-15 potential!
                          > I would add to it's merits a very well controlled coma - no nasty glow around the big sources of light.
                          >
                          > Will be my next lens, hopefully soon.
                          >
                          > Thank you for sharing this test pano!
                          >
                          > Andrey
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Bad link.
                          > > >

                          > > Sorry shd be ok now.
                          > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm

                          > > I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare
                          > > resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap
                          > > design.
                          > > Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle
                          > > contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181
                          > > degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on
                          > > a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.
                          > >
                          > > Here is a low light high iso test
                          > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                          > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                          > >
                          > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                          > >
                          > > PeterM

                        • robert
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 21, 2011
                            So, how do you feel it compares to a Canon 15 2.8 FE when both are at F4.0?

                            From what I've read, the 8-15 is better at edges and flare, but I'm not really concerned about either of those as in what I shoot edges never or very rarely get used and to me a bit of flare is OK, much like a bit of ghosting when lots of movement in a image, it just seems natural to include it.

                            If you have a 15 FE 2.8 too, I would love to see the same shot stitched from both.

                            Regards,

                            Robert

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
                            > >
                            > > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
                            > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
                            >
                            > I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
                            > I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap design.
                            > Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181 degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.
                            >
                            > Here is a low light high iso test
                            > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                            > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                            >
                            > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                            >
                            > PeterM

                          • panovrx
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 22, 2011
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                              > So, how do you feel it compares to a Canon 15 2.8 FE when both are at F4.0?
                              >
                              > From what I've read, the 8-15 is better at edges and flare, but I'm not really concerned about either of those as in what I shoot edges never or very rarely get used and to me a bit of flare is OK, much like a bit of ghosting when lots of movement in a image, it just seems natural to include it.
                              >
                              > If you have a 15 FE 2.8 too, I would love to see the same shot stitched from both.

                              I havent got a Canon 15mm but I do have a Sigma 15mm and it is a lot better than that. But if you are not using the edges and doing multirow sphericals I dont there would be a lot of difference.

                              If you have flare on the 8-15mm it consists of a low narrow sequence of discrete flare spots gradually decreasing in intensity away from the light. To my eye it doesnt look very pictorial. You would need a very dark background to see this flare generally. The Sigma in comparison has a veiling flare with no discrete spots and the Nikkor 10.5mm has a bit of both.

                              Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                              http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                              I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.

                              PeterM

                              > > Here is a low light high iso test
                              > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                              > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                              > >
                              > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                              > >
                              > > PeterM

                            • robert
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 22, 2011
                                Thanks Peter,

                                Nice work, would not worry about the buildings too much in this shot, yes they get a bit soft of you look too close, but it's not the area of interest. The "polite" area seems much more interesting.

                                I have no problem with a bit of soft focus toward infinity in 360's, in many views it may actually help to make it more human.

                                This is a very odd image if you try to understand what the protesters are doing and why the Police are there. Seems everyone at the front line is taking pictures, not protesting.

                                Cheers,

                                Robert

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > So, how do you feel it compares to a Canon 15 2.8 FE when both are at F4.0?
                                > >
                                > > From what I've read, the 8-15 is better at edges and flare, but I'm not really concerned about either of those as in what I shoot edges never or very rarely get used and to me a bit of flare is OK, much like a bit of ghosting when lots of movement in a image, it just seems natural to include it.
                                > >
                                > > If you have a 15 FE 2.8 too, I would love to see the same shot stitched from both.
                                >
                                > I havent got a Canon 15mm but I do have a Sigma 15mm and it is a lot better than that. But if you are not using the edges and doing multirow sphericals I dont there would be a lot of difference.
                                >
                                > If you have flare on the 8-15mm it consists of a low narrow sequence of discrete flare spots gradually decreasing in intensity away from the light. To my eye it doesnt look very pictorial. You would need a very dark background to see this flare generally. The Sigma in comparison has a veiling flare with no discrete spots and the Nikkor 10.5mm has a bit of both.
                                >
                                > Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                                > http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                                > I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.
                                >
                                > PeterM
                                >

                                > > > Here is a low light high iso test
                                > > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                                > > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                                > > >
                                > > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                                > > >
                                > > > PeterM

                              • 1drey
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 23, 2011
                                  > Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                                  > http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                                  > I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.
                                  >
                                  > PeterM

                                  Seems that the polar area has slightly lower resolution than the rest of a pano. Can it be cured with properly set focusing distance or a zenith shot is a must?

                                  A.
                                • panovrx
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 23, 2011
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "1drey" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

                                    > > Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                                    > > http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                                    > > I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.
                                    > >
                                    > > PeterM
                                    > >

                                    > Seems that the polar area has slightly lower resolution than the rest of a pano. Can it be cured with properly set focusing distance or a zenith shot is a must?
                                    >
                                    > A.

                                    I think it is just misfocus. Here btw is an example of Canon8/15 flare
                                    http://www.mediavr.com/canon815flare.jpg .. at the 8mm/f4 setting .. a worst case scenario

                                    PeterM
                                  • luca vascon
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 24, 2011
                                      Super review, Michel!!!

                                      the 10-17 Tokina exits beaten a bit, but not for 1/3 of the price, and considering the 12-17mm use.

                                      My Samyang 8mm, instead, seems not capable of right focusing.
                                      :-(

                                      I'm proud too of the 15mm Sigma, one of the best fisheyes I aver tried in its class.
                                      Perhaps we both have the "right examples", but it lever let me down ghosting, flaring, or lacking resolution.
                                      ;-)

                                      2011/10/23 panovrx <panovrx@...>

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                                      > So, how do you feel it compares to a Canon 15 2.8 FE when both are at F4.0?
                                      >
                                      > From what I've read, the 8-15 is better at edges and flare, but I'm not really concerned about either of those as in what I shoot edges never or very rarely get used and to me a bit of flare is OK, much like a bit of ghosting when lots of movement in a image, it just seems natural to include it.
                                      >
                                      > If you have a 15 FE 2.8 too, I would love to see the same shot stitched from both.

                                      I havent got a Canon 15mm but I do have a Sigma 15mm and it is a lot better than that. But if you are not using the edges and doing multirow sphericals I dont there would be a lot of difference.

                                      If you have flare on the 8-15mm it consists of a low narrow sequence of discrete flare spots gradually decreasing in intensity away from the light. To my eye it doesnt look very pictorial. You would need a very dark background to see this flare generally. The Sigma in comparison has a veiling flare with no discrete spots and the Nikkor 10.5mm has a bit of both.

                                      Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                                      http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                                      I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.

                                      PeterM

                                      > > Here is a low light high iso test
                                      > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                                      > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso  at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                                      > >
                                      > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                                      > >
                                      > > PeterM

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                         Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                         PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      --
                                      Luca Vascon.

                                      www.nuovostudio.it
                                      www.officinepanottiche.com

                                    • Bruce Martin
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 24, 2011
                                        Greetings,
                                        On this topic, can anyone help with fish eye and super wides lens recommendations. My goals are to
                                        have 2 lens, 8mm fish eye ( for example; Peleng, Tokina, Bower )
                                         and 10-?mm super wide fixed or zoom (example 14mm Bower) to fill in the gap to my 18-55mm
                                        I have a Canon XSi, I'm doing indoor, outdoor work, on a fixd income. Pan head
                                        I'm considering Nodai Ultimate R1 on a carbon tripod. To do 360/180vr pan's
                                        Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
                                        Thank You ,
                                        Bruce

                                        2011/10/23 panovrx <panovrx@...>

                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                                        > So, how do you feel it compares to a Canon 15 2.8 FE when both are at F4.0?
                                        >
                                        > From what I've read, the 8-15 is better at edges and flare, but I'm not really concerned about either of those as in what I shoot edges never or very rarely get used and to me a bit of flare is OK, much like a bit of ghosting when lots of movement in a image, it just seems natural to include it.
                                        >
                                        > If you have a 15 FE 2.8 too, I would love to see the same shot stitched from both.

                                        I havent got a Canon 15mm but I do have a Sigma 15mm and it is a lot better than that. But if you are not using the edges and doing multirow sphericals I dont there would be a lot of difference.

                                        If you have flare on the 8-15mm it consists of a low narrow sequence of discrete flare spots gradually decreasing in intensity away from the light. To my eye it doesnt look very pictorial. You would need a very dark background to see this flare generally. The Sigma in comparison has a veiling flare with no discrete spots and the Nikkor 10.5mm has a bit of both.

                                        Here is another 5DMkII/f4@12mm shot with it (from the Occupy Sydney protest yesterday)
                                        http://www.mediavr.com/occupysydney2011/occupysydney2011.htm
                                        I havent got a handle on the focus exactly yet -- here it is too close (it looks about 1m to me). These city scenes need to have the buildings exactly in focus I think.

                                        PeterM

                                        > > Here is a low light high iso test
                                        > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                                        > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso  at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                                        > >
                                        > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                                        > >
                                        > > PeterM

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                           Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                           PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        --
                                        Luca Vascon.

                                        www.nuovostudio.it
                                        www.officinepanottiche.com

                                      • onezebra1
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 24, 2011
                                          I got a little more sun flare when doing a 2 shot test. This was using a pole, should have better stitching results using a tripod.
                                          http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/2shots.html

                                          I tried adding some more control points in PTGui but got this peoblem.
                                          http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/2shots4.html

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 27, 2011
                                            Here is a closeup showing the bokeh
                                            http://www.mediavr.com/lizards.jpg
                                            it is ok in the distance but closer areas look a bit scratchy
                                            this is at f8 at about 5cm

                                            autofocus is very good if you are into macro fisheye views

                                            PeterM

                                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
                                            > >
                                            > > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
                                            > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
                                            >
                                            > I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
                                            > I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap design.
                                            > Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181 degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.
                                            >
                                            > Here is a low light high iso test
                                            > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                                            > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                                            >
                                            > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                                            >
                                            > PeterM

                                          • panovrx
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 30, 2011
                                              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
                                              > > > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
                                              > >
                                              > > I have been testing the lens for a couple of days.
                                              > > I agree with all Michel's judgments particularly the exceptional flare resistance and good edge resolution -- and the idiotic manual focus and lens cap design.
                                              > > Re fov you can see through the viewfinder the fov of the image circle contracting -- through vignetting - (from about 191 degrees to about 181 degrees) as you zoom from 12mm to 8mm. It would be interesting to focus this on a ground glass to see what the circle is doing at 15mm.
                                              > >
                                              > > Here is a low light high iso test
                                              > > http://www.mediavr.com/qvb7/qvb7.htm
                                              > > (with a monopod, f4 @ 1250iso at 1/50th at 12mm -- 4 shots+nadir)
                                              > >
                                              > > Autofocus speed and accuracy is very good generally.
                                              > >
                                              > > PeterM

                                              I think a way to set the focus settings by eye more accurately with the lens is to hold the camera sideways so both eyes are in line with the focus mark. That way there is less chance of parallax errors with the mark (because it is some distance over the focus numbers) that you can get when you look over the top of the camera. Now I am happier with building sharpness in street scenes when I set the lens to infinity. This is 5 shots (+nadir) at 12mm setting at f6.3
                                              http://www.mediavr.com/thjacaranda2011/thjacaranda2011.html
                                            • Sacha Griffin
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
                                                I think peter was pole shooting so errors can be excused. I don't think any fisheyes are problematic from an npp perspective. What do you mean? Just a matter of knowing how to optimize for your rotation and proper stitching.
                                                From all reports the 8-15 is the perfect vt lens beating even the prime 15.

                                                Sacha Griffin
                                                Office: 404-551-4275
                                                GV: 404-665-9990

                                                On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:20 PM, robert <image360@...> wrote:

                                                So, it's a great lens, not really much of a surprise since Canon seems to be finally hitting all gears on super wides. I mean what could you expect after the 17mm TS lens?

                                                But is there any perfect lens for 360's?

                                                Peter's example is filled with errors if you look a bit too close. Are all fish-eye lens's just problematic from a NPP?

                                                Robert

                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                                                > Exactly one year after the new 8-15 mm zoom lens announcement by Canon, it landed at last on the shelf of my local store about two months ago...
                                                >
                                                > Here is a review with my point of view as a panorama photographer:
                                                > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html
                                                >

                                                > Michel Thoby

                                              • robert
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
                                                  There are errors, insignificant, for all but the purest in just about every 360 shot with a fisheye since any fisheye lens does not have a single NPP point. You can optimize or minimize the issue, but it still exists simply because a fisheye has no single NPP. Post is almost always required if you care about absolute image fidelity.

                                                  I'm not trying to knock the new Canon 8-15, on the contrary it seems like a great lens and I plan to get one or two next year. It does seem to be better than the Canon 15 at the edges and perhaps in contrast, color through out the FOV.

                                                  But the Canon 15 at 2.8, verses the 8-15 at 4.0 seems like the 15 still has a place at the table. If I was Canon I would not discontinue the 15.

                                                  And believe me, I'm not in anyway trying to knock Peter. I know how challenging a non-stable platform can be to work with, I've been stitching aerial 360's for a few years now. Talk about a drunken sailor. It can make handheld seem easy. :)

                                                  cheers,

                                                  Robert

                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                                                  > I think peter was pole shooting so errors can be excused. I don't think any
                                                  > fisheyes are problematic from an npp perspective. What do you mean? Just a
                                                  > matter of knowing how to optimize for your rotation and proper stitching.
                                                  > From all reports the 8-15 is the perfect vt lens beating even the prime 15.
                                                  >
                                                  > Sacha Griffin
                                                • Sacha Griffin
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
                                                    I haven't done any post due to seams in about a year or more. "10.5"

                                                    It's just a matter of placing your seam where it really overlaps.
                                                    No single npp refers to your rotation. Like I said if you optimize for it as well and stitch accordingly youre good to go. If I need pixel accuracy "high detail" I can always take extra time on the stitch or pass it off to a content aware blender, which usually is faster.

                                                    The 15 is still a really good lens and 2.8 may fit some circumstances.

                                                    Sacha Griffin
                                                    Office: 404-551-4275
                                                    GV: 404-665-9990