How To output from Hugin to Pano Cube

  • markgambier
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3 8:04 AM
      Confused here. I've downloaded Hugin and Panotools (from soundforge and elsewhere) and have gained a fair understanding of how to use the Hugin Interface to create and output jpeg panos.

      (Using windows 7 64-bit)

      I've downloaded Pano Cube to turn the jpeg panos into a QTVR movie, but can't get it to work.

      I've put the Pano Cube icon on my desktop, but I cannot seem to find the PTStitcher.exe anywhere on my hard drive. I understand from the Hugin wiki (or maybe PanoTools wiki) that Hugin uses 'nona' instead of PTStitcher, but I can't find nona anywhere either.

      So:

      1. Is there a direct way to connect/show Pano Cube with Hugin?
      2. Is there a way to incorporate PTSticher.exe into Hugin and THEN use the Pano Cube plug-in?
      3. Or am I just losing it?

      I'm not a coder, just a guy trying to make some navigable 360 x 360 panos.

      Suggestions?

      Thanks!

      -- Mark
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3 10:52 AM
        Mark, pano12.dll from Panorama Tools should be loaded into Windows\SysWOW64 rather than Windows\System32. PTStitcher.exe will be in the Tools folder in the Panorama Tools installation (Jim Watters version). You have to drag the PTStitcher.exe file onto the panocube shortcut icon in order to inform PanoCube of its whereabouts. (You do this once only).

        It's a long time since I used PanoCube, but I have 3 versions in my download folder: 051, 052 and 054. Of these, only the 051 version worked correctly (though all were happy to register PTStitcher). After trying a few things, I found that copying the PCB.INI file from the 051 folder to replace the version in the 054 folder then made the 054 version work ok.

        This was on Windows 7 64bit, and I'm afraid the above is about as much help as I can offer.

        John

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markgambier" <markgambier@...> wrote:

        > Confused here. I've downloaded Hugin and Panotools (from soundforge and elsewhere) and have gained a fair understanding of how to use the Hugin Interface to create and output jpeg panos.
        >
        > (Using windows 7 64-bit)
        >
        > I've downloaded Pano Cube to turn the jpeg panos into a QTVR movie, but can't get it to work.
        >
        > I've put the Pano Cube icon on my desktop, but I cannot seem to find the PTStitcher.exe anywhere on my hard drive. I understand from the Hugin wiki (or maybe PanoTools wiki) that Hugin uses 'nona' instead of PTStitcher, but I can't find nona anywhere either.
        >
        > So:
        >
        > 1. Is there a direct way to connect/show Pano Cube with Hugin?
        > 2. Is there a way to incorporate PTSticher.exe into Hugin and THEN use the Pano Cube plug-in?
        > 3. Or am I just losing it?
        >
        > I'm not a coder, just a guy trying to make some navigable 360 x 360 panos.
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >

        > -- Mark

      • markgambier
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3 1:39 PM
          Thanks for your help, John. Was able to get pretty far.

          So:

          - I downloaded and placed the pano12.dll in the SysWOW64 folder

          - I downloaded Panorama Tools again -- this time the Jim Watters version that is on his page (http://photocreations.ca/panotools/)NOTE: the version linked to from his site to Soundforge does DOES NOT have PTStitcher.exe in the tools folder.

          - I dragged and dropped the PTStitcher.exe onto the desktop Pano Cube icon and the resulting dialog box told me the link was successful and that I wouldn't have to do that again.

          - I created an equirectangular pano in Hugin, optimized (1.4 average distance between control points) stitched and saved as a tiff file.

          - I opened the folder where this pano was saved and dragged/dropped it onto the desktop Pano Cube icon.

          Nothing seems to happen. I don't get any kind of dialog box or . . .anything. There are no new files created anywhere I can find, and certainly no QTVR files.

          If, when dragging the tiff file over top of the Pano Cube Icon but dond't release, I get a one line dialog that says "Open with QT Movie Converter." which, from what I can tell, doesn't run on Win 7

          Any ideas other than the Pano Cube application to convert the Equirectangular tiff pano into an navigable QTVR movie?

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > Mark, pano12.dll from Panorama Tools should be loaded into Windows\SysWOW64 rather than Windows\System32. PTStitcher.exe will be in the Tools folder in the Panorama Tools installation (Jim Watters version). You have to drag the PTStitcher.exe file onto the panocube shortcut icon in order to inform PanoCube of its whereabouts. (You do this once only).
          >
          > It's a long time since I used PanoCube, but I have 3 versions in my download folder: 051, 052 and 054. Of these, only the 051 version worked correctly (though all were happy to register PTStitcher). After trying a few things, I found that copying the PCB.INI file from the 051 folder to replace the version in the 054 folder then made the 054 version work ok.
          >
          > This was on Windows 7 64bit, and I'm afraid the above is about as much help as I can offer.
          >
          > John
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markgambier" <markgambier@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Confused here. I've downloaded Hugin and Panotools (from soundforge and elsewhere) and have gained a fair understanding of how to use the Hugin Interface to create and output jpeg panos.
          > >
          > > (Using windows 7 64-bit)
          > >
          > > I've downloaded Pano Cube to turn the jpeg panos into a QTVR movie, but can't get it to work.
          > >
          > > I've put the Pano Cube icon on my desktop, but I cannot seem to find the PTStitcher.exe anywhere on my hard drive. I understand from the Hugin wiki (or maybe PanoTools wiki) that Hugin uses 'nona' instead of PTStitcher, but I can't find nona anywhere either.
          > >
          > > So:
          > >
          > > 1. Is there a direct way to connect/show Pano Cube with Hugin?
          > > 2. Is there a way to incorporate PTSticher.exe into Hugin and THEN use the Pano Cube plug-in?
          > > 3. Or am I just losing it?
          > >
          > > I'm not a coder, just a guy trying to make some navigable 360 x 360 panos.
          > >
          > > Suggestions?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > -- Mark

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4 4:25 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markgambier" <markgambier@...> >
            > - I opened the folder where this pano was saved and dragged/dropped it onto the desktop Pano Cube icon.
            >
            > Nothing seems to happen. I don't get any kind of dialog box or . . .anything. There are no new files created anywhere I can find, and certainly no QTVR files.
            >
            > If, when dragging the tiff file over top of the Pano Cube Icon but dond't release, I get a one line dialog that says "Open with QT Movie Converter." which, from what I can tell, doesn't run on Win 7
            >
            > Any ideas other than the Pano Cube application to convert the Equirectangular tiff pano into an navigable QTVR movie?
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Mark, pano12.dll from Panorama Tools should be loaded into Windows\SysWOW64 rather than Windows\System32. PTStitcher.exe will be in the Tools folder in the Panorama Tools installation (Jim Watters version). You have to drag the PTStitcher.exe file onto the panocube shortcut icon in order to inform PanoCube of its whereabouts. (You do this once only).
            > >
            > > It's a long time since I used PanoCube, but I have 3 versions in my download folder: 051, 052 and 054. Of these, only the 051 version worked correctly (though all were happy to register PTStitcher). After trying a few things, I found that copying the PCB.INI file from the 051 folder to replace the version in the 054 folder then made the 054 version work ok.
            > >
            > > This was on Windows 7 64bit, and I'm afraid the above is about as much help as I can offer.
            > >
            > > John
            > >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markgambier" <markgambier@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Confused here. I've downloaded Hugin and Panotools (from soundforge and elsewhere) and have gained a fair understanding of how to use the Hugin Interface to create and output jpeg panos.
            > > >
            > > > (Using windows 7 64-bit)
            > > >
            > > > I've downloaded Pano Cube to turn the jpeg panos into a QTVR movie, but can't get it to work.
            > > >
            > > > I've put the Pano Cube icon on my desktop, but I cannot seem to find the PTStitcher.exe anywhere on my hard drive. I understand from the Hugin wiki (or maybe PanoTools wiki) that Hugin uses 'nona' instead of PTStitcher, but I can't find nona anywhere either.
            > > >
            > > > So:
            > > >
            > > > 1. Is there a direct way to connect/show Pano Cube with Hugin?
            > > > 2. Is there a way to incorporate PTSticher.exe into Hugin and THEN use the Pano Cube plug-in?
            > > > 3. Or am I just losing it?
            > > >
            > > > I'm not a coder, just a guy trying to make some navigable 360 x 360 panos.
            > > >
            > > > Suggestions?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > >

            > > > -- Mark

          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4 4:31 AM
              Oops - sorry, sent a null reply by mistake.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "markgambier" <markgambier@> >
              > > - I opened the folder where this pano was saved and dragged/dropped
              > > - it onto the desktop Pano Cube icon.
              > >
              > > Nothing seems to happen.

              That's what I got with v0.054 before I swapped the PCB.INI file. Which version are you using?

              John
            • John Houghton
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4 6:02 AM
                Further information: it seems that the PCB.INI file is not part of the original PanoCube installation but is created to hold the full pathname of PTStitcher.exe that's discovered in the registration process. So the difference between my versions of PanoCube that worked or didn't work, is the version of PTStitcher that's being used. In my v051 folder I had a PCB.INI that contained a pathname to PTStitcher in a version of PanoTools distributed by Max Lyons. In my v054 folder I had a PCB.INI containing the pathname to the Jim Watters distribution. The v051 version worked whereas v054 didn't. V054 works ok when PCB.INI contains the same pathname as v051.

                So the difference in use of the two PTStitcher.exe files may be their actual difference or maybe their location (security settings etc).

                John
              • markgambier
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4 1:45 PM
                  Getting in a little deeper than I can follow, but I'm game to try if you have the patience. I checked the properties of the Pano Cube I just purchased and it is v054 as well. I don't know how to check a pathname.

                  John, do you know of another application besides Pano Cube that will do the same thing?

                  Thanks.

                  -- Mark

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4 2:12 PM
                    Am 04.09.2011 22:45, schrieb markgambier:
                    > John, do you know of another application besides Pano Cube that will
                    > do the same thing?

                    Pano2QTVR (free) and Pano2VR (commercial) can convert equirectangular
                    images to QTVR movies and much more.

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5 12:02 AM
                      oh my god. panocube. blast from the past :)