Re: [PanoToolsNG] [OT] Amazon S3 Console Enhancements

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
      On 09/03/2011, at 4:57 AM, AYRTON wrote:
      > The huge Amazon server is moving the support to be able to work on platforms that do NOT use Adobe Flash
      >
      > Amazon is the second biggest server, just behind Google
      > They probably know something going on ...

      And yesterday I got this about one of my WordPress stats plugin updates:

      As of version 2.5, WP SlimStat has switched from Flash to Javascript to draw its charts. This new approach, though, is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8 or older, so you're encouraged to either keep your current version of WP SlimStat, or upgrade your browser.

      Looks like they've abandoned Flash for HTML5 and the canvas element at a guess.

      History (QTVR, QT3D, Java, Flash, etc) is telling us something here: do not get complacent and think one technology will solve all problems for all time. Even worse, do not even hope for one or you will be disappointed. Constant change is the only thing we can "rely" on. Sorry.

      KathyW.
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
        In plain words: You can now use non flash platforms.  Not possible earlier.  You can still use flash platforms, as has been possible for a very long time.

        No conspiracy hiding under the bed here.

        Trausti

        On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

        The huge Amazon server is moving the support to be able to work on platforms that do NOT use Adobe Flash

        Amazon is the second biggest server, just behind Google
        They probably know something going on ...

        Dear Amazon S3 Customer,

        Today, we’re excited to announce several improvements to the Amazon S3 Console. The Amazon S3 Console allows you to easily manage Amazon S3 buckets and objects using just a web browser. With this month’s Console release you can now upload entire folder hierarchies, quickly navigate large Amazon S3 buckets, and access the Amazon S3 Console from more environments.

        Folder Upload: Many of our customers have asked us for the ability to more easily upload folders to S3. You can now upload the contents of entire folder hierarchies from your local machine with a single selection. Just click “Enable Enhanced Uploader” in the Upload dialog box, click “Add Files,” and select a folder. After you’ve started the upload, you can continue to perform other management operations while the Amazon S3 Console transfers your files in the background. You can check on status, cancel, or pause your upload from the Transfers panel.

        Jump: Speedily navigate large buckets. To find a specific object or folder, simply start typing while viewing a bucket or folder listing. The Amazon S3 Console will advance the listing to objects and folders that start with the characters you type.

        Broader Access: You can now use the Amazon S3 Console on platforms that don't support Adobe Flash. We’re also glad to announce that with this release, you can use the Amazon S3 Console without opening any ports on your firewall beyond port 443, the standard port for secure internet access.

        Start using these new features today at http://console.aws.amazon.com/s3 .

        Sincerely,
        The Amazon S3 Team

        Amazon Web Services LLC is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. This message produced and distributed by Amazon Web Services, LLC, 410 Terry Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109.

        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP