Re: Hand/head held 3D viewers

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hey Wim

      Thanks for the "heads up" on Hasbro's and Sony's new 3D viewers. I believe 3D can greatly improve the experience of viewing spherical panoramas; perhaps more so than other media, because the main "message" of most spherical panos is about 3D spatial relationships.

      Now that you have shown how any panographer can make good 3D sphericals without any special equipment, the only things standing in the way of a big wave of popularity for this medium are viewing devices, and the marketing clout to make the public aware. Both of which Hasbro and Sony can supply in abundance.

      I don't need to tell you that the stereopticon, the grandfather of the ViewMaster, was found in every civilized home from the late 19th thru early 20th centuries, and producing cards for it was a big money maker.

      I hope you have already contacted Hasbro about starting a production company for the spherical views of famous/amazing sights, that could be a big hit on the "iViewMaster".

      Sony is a harder sell since they are accustomed to think they can and should do everything in-house. But assuming they get this device on the market in some kind of usable form (ideally with gyros), it could become the viewer of choice for serious pano-tourism. There are quite a few other head-mounted stereo display devices, but none produced by a rich company with access to the best technology.

      I share your excitement.

      Best regards, Tom