Re: Hand/head held 3D viewers

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      panovrx-2 wrote:
      > .....I dont know what they mean by:
      >>>The design of this device is such that it covers the maximum possible
      field of vision (approx. 200 degrees), surpassing the video viewing range of
      45 degrees. Any information unrelated to viewing is isolated, resulting in a
      feeling of deep immersion. The supplied light shield (shade plate) can
      intercept the light from below, which further enhances the feeling of
      immersion for the viewer.>>.....
      I guess they are telling that a normal human view with a fixed position of
      the head and no moving eyes is maximized at 200 degree while a normal view
      in front of a TV or cinema is limited to 45 degree.
      Possibly the device is light sealed with soft material and also have a mat
      black light absorbing finish in the interio that together with the light
      shields must prevent that any light, not coming from the displays, will
      enter the eyes to make sure that the VR experience is maximized and not
      disturbed by ambient light.

      ....I made HMD-viewed stereo panoramas for this art piece here
      > http://www.icinema.unsw.edu.au/projects/conversations/
      > .. they had blue screen video characters running about in the tracked HMD
      > view. They had two people each with HMDs in the set up in a museum, in
      > different locations, and they were trying to figure out collaboratively
      > what was going on in the scene they were looking at ( a prisoner escaping
      > from a jail, shooting policeman, getaway car etc). So they were spinning
      > around trying to see stuff. Worked ok but the resolution was pretty
      > crummy.....

      That is an impressive projekt with a serious background story...

      Sometimes a crummy resolution isn't a deal breaker as you should expect,
      last year I displayed some spherical ColorCode 3D panos in the dome shaped
      theater of the University of Plymouth and both the resolution and the faded
      colors of the projected image was really crummy but nevertheless the
      immersive 3D experience was really great, since I want to have such a dome
      in my backyard :-)

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hey Wim

        Thanks for the "heads up" on Hasbro's and Sony's new 3D viewers. I believe 3D can greatly improve the experience of viewing spherical panoramas; perhaps more so than other media, because the main "message" of most spherical panos is about 3D spatial relationships.

        Now that you have shown how any panographer can make good 3D sphericals without any special equipment, the only things standing in the way of a big wave of popularity for this medium are viewing devices, and the marketing clout to make the public aware. Both of which Hasbro and Sony can supply in abundance.

        I don't need to tell you that the stereopticon, the grandfather of the ViewMaster, was found in every civilized home from the late 19th thru early 20th centuries, and producing cards for it was a big money maker.

        I hope you have already contacted Hasbro about starting a production company for the spherical views of famous/amazing sights, that could be a big hit on the "iViewMaster".

        Sony is a harder sell since they are accustomed to think they can and should do everything in-house. But assuming they get this device on the market in some kind of usable form (ideally with gyros), it could become the viewer of choice for serious pano-tourism. There are quite a few other head-mounted stereo display devices, but none produced by a rich company with access to the best technology.

        I share your excitement.

        Best regards, Tom