Hand/head held 3D viewers

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hello Group,

      There are many systems to view 3D images, f.e. with anaglyph glasses, active
      shutterglasses, passive polarized glasses and other systems.

      One of the most wel known is the old skool View-Master from decades ago, if
      you are aged 30+ then there is a good chance that you have experiences
      yourself with the plastic viewer and the carton disc holding 7 left and 7
      right eye dia positive slides and if so I am sure that you remember how real
      and crisp the images could be.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

      Based on the same method Hasbro released a couple of month ago a viewer for
      use with the iPhone on the iPhone are a left and a right eye image displayed
      and with good content the experience is just the same and just as crispy as
      with the "Master".

      http://www.hasbro.com/hasbromy3d/en_US/

      On the last PanTools Meeting in Vienna I demonstrated the new Hasbro my3D
      viewer with some of my parallel displayed 3D Pano2VR HTmlCss3 panos (moved
      by the gyros of the iPhone4) and I got the impression that people liked it a
      lot and had no problem viewing the panos.

      http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/_3_side-by-side_for_iPhone_and_Hasbro_3D_viewer.png

      To get an idea here how it looks here is an example of a 3D side-by-side
      pano for display with the Hasbro viewer.
      Without the viewer you try on iPhone 4 the moving of the pano with the gyros
      and on other devices, desktops included, you can move the left pano with
      mouse or finger and then the right pano will follow smoothly.
      Btw, with the staring method perhaps you can see the 3D depth without the
      viewer.

      http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/3D_side_by_side/3D_PTM_2011_side-by-side_960_640px/3D_PTM_2011.html
      Short http://tinyurl.com/3ces4j9

      Yesterday Sony launched a much more advanced system based on the same
      method, a slick looking head device with build in display.
      I am curious if the Sony head display is just a gimmick or a device that
      will be just as popular as the View-Master, I guess time will tell.

      http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201108/11-097E/index.html

      Wim

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        > Yesterday Sony launched a much more advanced system based on the same
        > method, a slick looking head device with build in display.
        > I am curious if the Sony head display is just a gimmick or a device that
        > will be just as popular as the View-Master, I guess time will tell.
        >
        > http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201108/11-097E/index.html
        >
        > Wim

        the specifications are a bit obscure but twin 720p OLED is certainly good bang for the buck if it is $800
        http://www.tqcast.com/2011/08/30/sonys-3d-visor-to-change-3d-forever-750-inch-screen-mounted-on-your-head/

        I dont know what they mean by:
        >>The design of this device is such that it covers the maximum possible field of vision (approx. 200 degrees), surpassing the video viewing range of 45 degrees. Any information unrelated to viewing is isolated, resulting in a feeling of deep immersion. The supplied light shield (shade plate) can intercept the light from below, which further enhances the feeling of immersion for the viewer.>>

        it doesnt mention headtracking which would be what would be ideal for panorama vieiwng with it but that could be an Intersense eg. addon -- but then it would be expensive

        There is certainly something very natural about viewing a stereo 360 panorama in a tracked HMD.

        I love Viewmaster stereo too. The 3d effect is so strong somehow. A really compact digital version like that would be great. When mobile phones get a bit more hi-res a small phone plus a Hasbro type viewer would be the equivalent.

        I had a Viewmaster camera for a while, and the cutter to make the film chips and sets of empty reels and I would make my own reels and it was great.

        I made HMD-viewed stereo panoramas for this art piece here
        http://www.icinema.unsw.edu.au/projects/conversations/
        .. they had blue screen video characters running about in the tracked HMD view. They had two people each with HMDs in the set up in a museum, in different locations, and they were trying to figure out collaboratively what was going on in the scene they were looking at ( a prisoner escaping from a jail, shooting policeman, getaway car etc). So they were spinning around trying to see stuff. Worked ok but the resolution was pretty crummy.

        PeterM
      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
          panovrx-2 wrote:
          > .....I dont know what they mean by:
          >>>The design of this device is such that it covers the maximum possible
          field of vision (approx. 200 degrees), surpassing the video viewing range of
          45 degrees. Any information unrelated to viewing is isolated, resulting in a
          feeling of deep immersion. The supplied light shield (shade plate) can
          intercept the light from below, which further enhances the feeling of
          immersion for the viewer.>>.....
          I guess they are telling that a normal human view with a fixed position of
          the head and no moving eyes is maximized at 200 degree while a normal view
          in front of a TV or cinema is limited to 45 degree.
          Possibly the device is light sealed with soft material and also have a mat
          black light absorbing finish in the interio that together with the light
          shields must prevent that any light, not coming from the displays, will
          enter the eyes to make sure that the VR experience is maximized and not
          disturbed by ambient light.

          ....I made HMD-viewed stereo panoramas for this art piece here
          > http://www.icinema.unsw.edu.au/projects/conversations/
          > .. they had blue screen video characters running about in the tracked HMD
          > view. They had two people each with HMDs in the set up in a museum, in
          > different locations, and they were trying to figure out collaboratively
          > what was going on in the scene they were looking at ( a prisoner escaping
          > from a jail, shooting policeman, getaway car etc). So they were spinning
          > around trying to see stuff. Worked ok but the resolution was pretty
          > crummy.....

          That is an impressive projekt with a serious background story...

          Sometimes a crummy resolution isn't a deal breaker as you should expect,
          last year I displayed some spherical ColorCode 3D panos in the dome shaped
          theater of the University of Plymouth and both the resolution and the faded
          colors of the projected image was really crummy but nevertheless the
          immersive 3D experience was really great, since I want to have such a dome
          in my backyard :-)

          Wim

        • Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
            Hey Wim

            Thanks for the "heads up" on Hasbro's and Sony's new 3D viewers. I believe 3D can greatly improve the experience of viewing spherical panoramas; perhaps more so than other media, because the main "message" of most spherical panos is about 3D spatial relationships.

            Now that you have shown how any panographer can make good 3D sphericals without any special equipment, the only things standing in the way of a big wave of popularity for this medium are viewing devices, and the marketing clout to make the public aware. Both of which Hasbro and Sony can supply in abundance.

            I don't need to tell you that the stereopticon, the grandfather of the ViewMaster, was found in every civilized home from the late 19th thru early 20th centuries, and producing cards for it was a big money maker.

            I hope you have already contacted Hasbro about starting a production company for the spherical views of famous/amazing sights, that could be a big hit on the "iViewMaster".

            Sony is a harder sell since they are accustomed to think they can and should do everything in-house. But assuming they get this device on the market in some kind of usable form (ideally with gyros), it could become the viewer of choice for serious pano-tourism. There are quite a few other head-mounted stereo display devices, but none produced by a rich company with access to the best technology.

            I share your excitement.

            Best regards, Tom