Re: Panasonic fisheye on m43?

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

      > Is anyone using the m43 fisheye lens from Panasonic on a GH-2 body?
      > I just noticed that the sensor is oversized to get higher res on 16:9 ratio.
      > I was wondering if this would work like on the attached image (if it works now?)?
      > Would you then get an uncropped fisheye circle on the short sides, with hfov 180?
      > Would it then be possible to use this lens without shooting zenith/nadir?

      No I am sorry that will not do.
      I have the new G3 and the Panasonic 8mm and with the standard 4/3 13x17.3mm the vertical FOV is only 130 degree.

      Changing to 2/3 on mine does not give more resolution vertically as it does on the GH2.
      I checked the difference in resolution and it is very small.

      This is The GH2
      • 4608 x 3456 (4:3)
      • 3264 x 2448 (4:3)
      • 2336 x 1752 (4:3)
      • 4752 x 3168 (3:2)
      • 3360 x 2240 (3:2)
      • 2400 x 1600 (3:2)
      • 4976 x 2800 (16:9)

      As you can see you only get 150 pixels more and from my calculations this may give around 136 degrees.

      The 16:9 option will perhaps give around 145 but of course much less in horizontal.

      Actually I can shoot just 4 around at - 15 and 1 zenith with the G3.

      Because of the 4/3 format PTgui generate some very good controlpoints even with 4 around. This seems to be because the 4/3 format give a lot of overlap at the top and bottom even if I just get 10% at centre.

      > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2011
        På Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:30:04 +0200, skrev Hans <hans@...>:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Is anyone using the m43 fisheye lens from Panasonic on a GH-2 body?
        >> I just noticed that the sensor is oversized to get higher res on 16:9 ratio.
        >> I was wondering if this would work like on the attached image (if it works now?)?
        >> Would you then get an uncropped fisheye circle on the short sides, with hfov 180?
        >> Would it then be possible to use this lens without shooting zenith/nadir?
        >

        > No I am sorry that will not do.

        Thanks :)
        I guess it was too good to be true ;)
        Normally shooting a zenith shot is no problem with a tripod/freehand, but when using a tall pole it is kind of tricky..

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
          På Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:30:04 +0200, skrev Hans <hans@...>:

          What is the size of the panos you get with G3 and the Panasonic 8mm fisheye?
          Is this your "main setup" nowadays, or just for "traveling light"?

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

            > PÃ¥ Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:30:04 +0200, skrev Hans <hans@...>:
            >
            > What is the size of the panos you get with G3 and the Panasonic 8mm fisheye?
            > Is this your "main setup" nowadays, or just for "traveling light"?

            Max size calculated from fullframe crop is 12600x6300.

            I bought it for travel mainly but unfortunately a little to early.
            If I had known this I had only bought it with the 8mm.
            http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082615panasonic14-42Xpreview.asp

            The 8mm has one bad problem. Compared to my Canon 15mm it has more flare.
            And I also prefer the 3 img +-2 bracketing of the Canon 5D even if I can get +-3 with 7 images on the G3.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
              You can download 2 sets here.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip

              Note that these are from camera JPG.
              I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011

                > You can download 2 sets here.
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip
                >
                > Note that these are from camera JPG.
                > I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.

                And here a couple of online panoramas made with Panasonic G3+8mm Full resolution 4000x4000 cubefaces
                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/panasonic-g3/test1.html

                The forest is 4 around + zenith
                The 2 from the top are 6 around + zenith.

                Hans

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
                  På Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:42:55 +0200, skrev Hans <hans@...>:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> You can download 2 sets here.
                  >> http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip

                  Great ! :)

                  >> Note that these are from camera JPG.
                  >> I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.
                  >
                  > And here a couple of online panoramas made with Panasonic G3+8mm Full resolution 4000x4000 cubefaces
                  > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/panasonic-g3/test1.html
                  >
                  > The forest is 4 around + zenith
                  > The 2 from the top are 6 around + zenith.

                  Looks very nice!
                  Either you edited the flare out, or the flare is not bad at all?
                  Thanks a lot :)
                  Denmark is apparently not as flat as we "fjeldaber" tends to think anyway ;)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                    > PÃ¥ Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:42:55 +0200, skrev Hans <hans@...>:
                    >

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> You can download 2 sets here.
                    > >> http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip
                    >
                    > Great ! :)
                    >
                    > >> Note that these are from camera JPG.
                    > >> I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.
                    > >
                    > > And here a couple of online panoramas made with Panasonic G3+8mm Full resolution 4000x4000 cubefaces
                    > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/panasonic-g3/test1.html
                    > >
                    > > The forest is 4 around + zenith
                    > > The 2 from the top are 6 around + zenith.
                    >
                    > Looks very nice!
                    > Either you edited the flare out, or the flare is not bad at all?
                    > Thanks a lot :)
                    > Denmark is apparently not as flat as we "fjeldaber" tends to think anyway ;)

                    No not on Djursland. And even 49m can look high sometimes.

                    Yes the flare at the sun is edited. Easy to do with the mask function as it is on opposite sided at the zenith image.

                    Hans

                    > > Hans
                    > >

                    > >> Hans

                    > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
                      I agree...

                      Silkypix is fairly easy to use but the raw conversion really sucks. Too much noise and if you correct the noise, the detail is lost. NeatImage does a pretty good job of saving the image but shooting JPEG makes much better images -- on my LX3.

                      Hans wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                      >> You can download 2 sets here.
                      >> http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip
                      >>
                      >> Note that these are from camera JPG.
                      >> I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.
                      [stuff deleted]
                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011

                        > I agree...
                        >
                        > Silkypix is fairly easy to use but the raw conversion really sucks. Too much noise and if you correct the noise, the detail is lost. NeatImage does a pretty good job of saving the image but shooting JPEG makes much better images -- on my LX3.

                        Actually Adobe just released a beta. Just found it.
                        http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-5.html

                        Hans

                        > Hans wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
                        > >> You can download 2 sets here.
                        > >> http://www.panoramas.dk/test/panasonic8-g3.zip
                        > >>
                        > >> Note that these are from camera JPG.
                        > >> I have also used RAW but I do not like the Silkypix raw converter which I need to use as Camera Raw is not updated yet for the G3.
                        > [stuff deleted]

                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
                          I wish I could afford Adobe products....