Google Earth on iOS?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
      Just a little background info first:
      I made a VR tour ~5 years ago with 39 nodes in Pureplayer (both Java & Flash).
      There was also a 3D model of some buildings and terrain in Google Earth, with links to individual panos that serves as starting points to the tour (using php).
      All panos are cross-linked and can be viewed as a tour without entering through GE.
      They now want some of the panos reshot because there are some new buildings and other changes int/ext. At the same time they want all panos with snow on to be reshot..
      The old panos are shrunk to 4kx2k, but they were originally larger (around 5.5k wide).
      I will suggest that the entire tour is remade in Flash only (FPP/FFC). I believe that will be both quicker and easier to do and also give better quailty (no need to size for slow modems any longer :)
      I asked if they would like it to be available also on iOS, but they said "not really".
      Anyway, as the GE entrance apparently is the one the visitors use the most, I was wondering if GE is at all available for iPad/Phones?
      If yes, can you also view panos inside GE (you couldn't do that 5 years ago)?

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
        On 30 Aug 2011, at 14:30, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

        > Anyway, as the GE entrance apparently is the one the visitors use the most, I was wondering if GE is at all available for iPad/Phones?

        http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-earth/id293622097?mt=8

        For a couple of years already. I'm pretty sure it doesn't show the 360Cities/panorama layer, unlike the desktop version.

        Ian
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
          På Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:38:12 +0200, skrev Ian Wood <panolists@...>:

          > On 30 Aug 2011, at 14:30, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
          >
          >> Anyway, as the GE entrance apparently is the one the visitors use the most, I was wondering if GE is at all available for iPad/Phones?
          >
          > http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-earth/id293622097?mt=8
          >
          > For a couple of years already. I'm pretty sure it doesn't show the 360Cities/panorama layer, unlike the desktop version.

          Thanks :)
          It doesn't mention anything about (textured/grey) 3D buildings, which I suppose means that it is not supported?
          Which kind of makes using GE as entry point less attractive I guess? ;)

          I can't remember that I've seen anything about viewing Java panos on iOS? Is it possible, like with Pureplayers jar?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
            On 30 Aug 2011, at 15:24, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

            > I can't remember that I've seen anything about viewing Java panos on iOS? Is it possible, like with Pureplayers jar?

            No browser plugins of any kind on iOS. No Java, no Flash, not even QuickTime (apart from natively-supported h264 video).

            Ian
          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
              På Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:42:07 +0200, skrev Ian Wood <panolists@...>:

              > On 30 Aug 2011, at 15:24, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:
              >
              >> I can't remember that I've seen anything about viewing Java panos on iOS? Is it possible, like with Pureplayers jar?
              >
              > No browser plugins of any kind on iOS. No Java, no Flash, not even QuickTime (apart from natively-supported h264 video).

              And no 3D buildings in GE then?

              --
              Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.