Re: Will iOS get Flash now?

  • robert
    Message 1 of 83 , Aug 29, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "blueslander" <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
      > Steve Jobs resigned from Apple as a CEO... so maybe... just maybe things will become more open and inviting?

      As so typical today, this question has mutated into a dribble about Flash vs HTML5.

      It's completely irrelevant though I'm sorry to say, iOS is simply here to stay for at least the next 3 years, beyond that is anyone's guess.

      Love him or hate him Job's work controls the mobile market and the mobile market is the market right now for commercial work.

      You can produce the best work possible, and the first big buyer's question is "how does this look on an iPad?"

      If you're not a commercial producer, then stop debating, Flash works great - stay the course.

      Flash verses HTML5 is simply not an discussion worth having unless you also like to count pixels.

      Peep away,

    • Erwin
      Message 83 of 83 , Aug 30, 2011
        You're right.

        It was a simple question I posed here because the debate was going around the sometime unneeded use of flash when other solutions existed.
        Knowing lot of you guys are experts in everything related with pictures and internet I used it as a way to possibly learn something new that could have gave me the ability to skip the use of flash if not needed.

        Roger pointed me to a very nice and promising solution, that's only not mature enough at the moment (lack of support from some browsers).

        I probably should have mentioned clearly I wasn't talking about panoramas here. My excuses for that.
        But the discussion was already so much off-topic that I forgot to do so.

        For the rest I never argued photoshop, gimp or wathever image editing software is much better suited to do so when working locally.

        My excuses again for having been a bit off-topic.

        Le 30/08/2011 14:56, Willy Kaemena a écrit :

        It is  getting bizarre...  we are talking here in this group about panoramas  and uploading equirects. First it would be rare  to resize a panorama before uploading ( happy to have a high resolution...)  and more rare  to use  flash   in order to resize it  when   you have to use something LIKE Photoshop anyway to work  and improve your panorama prior  to publishing/uploading.  Would  like to know  how  many  panographers are using flash bases apps  to resize panoramas...

        But if you are talking of flash based uploaders of pictures to any kind of  social website or slideshow or alike, which are resizing your pictures in the upload process,  then this  a totally different pair of shoes and in IMHO  OT   of this panorama  related group.

        On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:58, Isaac Garcia wrote:

        PS. And why on earth would you have to learn "flash" to resize you images anyway? All you would have to do is learn the workigs of the flash application. Or did you have to learn to code HTML to be able to browse web pages?

        On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

        Why  should I learn how to use  flash in order to resize a picture??   my   normal way would be using a software  like Photoshop ;-)  this  is  way more obvious.....

        On Aug 29, 2011, at 20:54, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

        Why?  Why not?  If Flash can do it, and Flash can do other things for you as well... then why try to avoid it and do things with anything and everything else?  Why use 25 different applications/programs to get your work done, if you can do all of those things perfectly well with ONE program that you know?

        I really can't see the logic in that at all.

        It's like owning one car to go to the supermarket, another car to pick the kids up from school, a motorbike to go to work on etc. etc. etc. Why not use the same car for all your transports if you have that car?  Of course... if using train systems... one will have to have many different trains that only go to fixed locations... no deviance from the routes at all.  No freedom of movement, except within the confines of a route that has been decided by the "head office"... that is how I see it.

        On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

        Could  you please explain why  do you want to resize  a picture before uploading? and why  this  you want to do with flash?

        On Aug 29, 2011, at 10:02, Erwin wrote:

        Hello everyone,

        I'm really interested in your debate especially because I do utilize flash for several things I can't do with HTML / JS.
        But if I could skip it, I'd be happy to.

        It seemed to me that at the moment only flash would let me resize a local picture before uploading it to a server, am I wrong?

        If I am, I'd be happy to learn how to do that without flash.

        Isaac García

        JFGI | RTFM