Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: VR Patent Fight -- A Dramatic Development

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 21, 2011
      On 8/21/2011 2:46 AM, Matthew Rogers wrote:
      > Like I explained previously, as it's a METHOD patent you have to be
      > following the METHOD EXACTLY.

      Matt,

      I discussed this with our lawyer and you are right. However, he also
      explained that it isn't nearly so simple as that.

      To begin, patent writers try to make their patents as expansive as
      possible. Many have claimed that the '400 patent only affects those who
      use two fisheye images back to back. That is the only method they
      demonstrate. However, claim #1 says "capturing images surrounding an
      origin point in AT LEAST two hemispheres..." They also say, "More images
      may be taken as well, however, two images will be illustratively
      described throughout this disclose, for simplicity." TTS has taken that
      even further to say that any number of images shot with any type of lens
      is covered by the patent. Clearly the patent doesn't cover that. TTS
      says it clearly does. So.... let a judge decide. You are still in court
      with all the associated costs.

      In other words, you may be able to confidently defend against a suit in
      the way you describe but you still have to pay a lot to do so. TTS is
      counting on enough people being afraid of that that they will fold
      rather than fight.

      --
      Scott Witte

      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
      414.345.9660
      Member, IVRPA

    • Scott Witte
      Message 55 of 55 , Jan 3, 2012
        :-)

        The sad truth is that nothing about this is "illegal." The patent was very poorly examined by the patent office. Nonetheless it was approved. It is a US approved patent, now. Our only real option is to have it overturned. I'm confident that will happen.

        Scott

        On 1/3/2012 7:44 PM, Richard wrote:
        It sounds like racketeering to me. Has anyone complained to the police about these legal threats.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

        On 08/22/2011, at 7:47 AM, Scott Witte wrote:

        TTS is
        counting on enough people being afraid of that that they will fold
        rather than fight.

        That used to be illegal. It was called "extortion".

        KathyW.

        --
        Scott Witte

        414.345.9660