Position zenith from nadir position?

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
      Hi,
      I often have this problem, where the zenith is mostly sky and has to be
      aligned manually.
      Since nadir is easy to position, how do I get proper zenith ypr from
      nadir position, assuming I use I proper calibrated pano head?

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
        På Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:12:38 +0200, skrev Robert Lesac <robert@...>:

        > Hi,
        > I often have this problem, where the zenith is mostly sky and has to be
        > aligned manually.
        > Since nadir is easy to position, how do I get proper zenith ypr from
        > nadir position, assuming I use I proper calibrated pano head?

        I always shoot zenith at 50-60 degrees pitch instead of straight up. This usually solves the problem with CPs and aligning.
        Rarely shoot nadir though, as I find it far from easy to position, and most of the time it works just as well doing a little post editing in PS.

        --
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
          You should be in a position to estimate the y,p,r values reasonably accurately. First, straighten the main horizontal row of images by optimizing with pitch and roll linked. The pitch of the zenith can then be entered as 90 and roll 0. That just leaves yaw. You probably swung the camera up to the zenith immediately after taking the last horizontal shot, in which case the yaw of the zenith will be the same as that last shot. In any event, you should be able to see which image preceded the zenith shot and remember exactly what you did. The image should then blend in well enough.

          John