VR Patent Fight -- A Dramatic Development

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 18, 2011
      Guys and Galls,

      Things are about to get heavy!

      TTS, which currently holds the '400 patent, is filing a patent
      infringement suit against Ice Portal, the VR tour production and hosting
      company owned by Henry Woodman. This is real (see below).

      For anyone who thought this patent was nothing to worry about, had
      disappeared, could be ignored.... Please Think Again. For those who
      thought TTS would only send threatening letters that could safely be
      ignored while they moved on to more gullible marks... Think Again. For
      those who got warning letters and thought their response letters proved
      to TTS that they weren't infringing... REALLY think again. We are at a
      crossroad. What we do now -- right now -- will affect our industry's future.

      As I see it there are two possibilities.

      1) Ignore this. Let Ice Portal deal with it themselves. Faced with the
      cost (ballpark $30,000) and risk of a court battle Henry has strong
      incentive to settle for a painful amount, though less than a fight in
      court. He would be protected from further claims but nobody else would.
      In fact TTS would have more money to press claims against others,
      stronger precedence in pressing their claim and stronger confidence that
      they can get away with it. Which one of us will be next? How long until
      they get to you? Remember, TTS' lawyer told us they are just getting
      started.

      2) We can band together and finish what we already started. Together we
      can afford to overturn this patent. We can stop it now -- for ALL of us.

      Please help. Go to http://ivrpa.org/patent and contribute what you can.
      Suggested donation is $100. If you make a living shooting 360VR consider
      protecting that income by digging deeper. That said, any amount will
      help. If you are unfamiliar with the '400 patent and its threat to our
      industry check the patent fight website <http://ivrpa.org/patent>.

      NOTE: This isn't a contribution toward an Ice Portal defense fund. It is
      toward the effort IVRPA is coordinating. That would protect all of us,
      including Ice Portal.

      Your choice. Together we stop this. Ignore it and it will cost us a LOT
      more.

      You can see notice of the patent infringement complaint against Ice
      Portal here:
      http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/patent-lawsuits/new-york-eastern-district-court/79553/tour-technology-systems-llc-v-ice-portal-inc/summary/

      I will post the actual full complaint (74 pages and 5MB) in the VR
      Patents newsgroup in the next day or two.

      The time is now, friends.

      Scott Witte
      IVRPA Board Member
      Coordinator, patent committee.
      On Behalf of the IVRPA Board of Directors

    • Scott Witte
      Message 55 of 55 , Jan 3, 2012
        :-)

        The sad truth is that nothing about this is "illegal." The patent was very poorly examined by the patent office. Nonetheless it was approved. It is a US approved patent, now. Our only real option is to have it overturned. I'm confident that will happen.

        Scott

        On 1/3/2012 7:44 PM, Richard wrote:
        It sounds like racketeering to me. Has anyone complained to the police about these legal threats.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

        On 08/22/2011, at 7:47 AM, Scott Witte wrote:

        TTS is
        counting on enough people being afraid of that that they will fold
        rather than fight.

        That used to be illegal. It was called "extortion".

        KathyW.

        --
        Scott Witte

        414.345.9660