RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: How does the color look on this pano?

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7 7:48 AM
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/parade_state4.html

      This one is too dark by quite a bit. This is common for overcast situations
      where a maximally bright light source is not present.

      The other one is just fine.

      Sacha Griffin

      <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

      <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

      <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

      IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

      Office: 404-551-4275

      GV: 404-665-9990

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 7 11:23 AM
        Thanks Sacha,

        I brought the brightness up 30 in Photoshop and fixed a few other things in that pano.
        It dose look better now!
        Also on that first one I did go back and level it better.

        Roger Berry

        > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/parade_state4.html
        >
        > This one is too dark by quite a bit. This is common for overcast situations
        > where a maximally bright light source is not present.
        >
        > The other one is just fine.
        >
        > Sacha Griffin

        > <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com
        >
        > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
        >
        > <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
        >
        > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
        >
        > Office: 404-551-4275
        >
        > GV: 404-665-9990
      • Scott Witte
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 7 8:30 PM
          Color management can be a confusing to understand. Let me take my stab
          at it.

          There is some confusion between calibrating and profiling the monitor.
          The first step is to calibrate, or adjust it into as close to a known
          state as possible. The standard for that is a gamma of 2.2, white
          balance of 6500K (same as sRGB) and a luminance of 100 in most cases.
          You adjust (calibrate) the monitor's brightness, contrast and color
          balance to get as close to that as possible. The average person will do
          this by eye and this is a far as they go. Any professional should be
          using a hardware monitor calibrator, even an inexpensive one like a
          Color Monkey or Spyder, to help.

          Finally you profile the monitor using the calibrator. It measures
          (profiles) the actual colors the monitor produces and creates a profile
          from that. That profile is loaded into the video card's LUT (Look Up
          Table) to further fine tune the monitor to the standards you are aiming
          for. If you have done a good job calibrating and the monitor is a good
          one, the LUT adjustments will be minimal.

          Programs that use color management will use the profile when deciding
          just how to display color managed images. If there is no color
          management or if the image isn't tagged with a profile, they program
          just sends the image to display with no adjustments. If the image was
          adjusted in a sRGB colorspace and the monitor is calibrated as above it
          will look "right" anyway.

          For those who don't calibrate their monitors (i.e. nearly everyone) your
          panos will look no different than everything else they view since nearly
          all that should be in an sRGB colorspace as well.

          So, when Hans said calibrate your monitor to sRGB he was just using
          shorthand for all the above.

          Anybody who produces content for the web should REALLY be working on a
          hardware calibrated monitor. Otherwise you are taking some risk that
          your images may, in general, not look the way you expect them to.

          --
          Scott Witte

          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
          414.345.9660
          Member, IVRPA

        • GTG Vierstra
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 8 6:24 AM
            On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 05:30, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

            > Programs that use color management will use the profile when deciding
            > just how to display color managed images. If there is no color
            > management or if the image isn't tagged with a profile, they program
            > just sends the image to display with no adjustments.

            I have a Spyder express (Calibration) and a LG w2600 monitor (IPS), on
            Windows 7. (Nvidia GTX570)

            If I calibrate the monitor a color profile is generated, and used.
            This gives me calibrated images in profile aware applications, such as
            Photoshop and Firefox. Although the profile does something with
            brightness, the ordinary Desktop remains (color) uncalibrated. For me,
            with the Spyder software and Windows 7 its not like loading the
            profile in the video card and everything is calibrated, its only for
            color profile aware apps.

            As seems from previous posts, Flash can use color profiles. However,
            krpano doesn't seem to use it.

            Therefore, in my situation, colors are always other than
            "normal"...... comparing the jpg in PS or browser to the same jpg in
            flash.

            (anyways, I gave up on calibrating for now, I just fiddled a bit with
            the Nvidia control panel until it looked sort of OK (its an IPS panel,
            so it really needs calibrating), if someone would know how to create a
            fully calibrated Windows 7, I would be very happy)

            --
            best regards,

            G.T.G. Vierstra