Photoshop Adjustment Layers/Adjustments on Seperate Image Areas?

  • Wheaton, Simon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
      I have a stitched/blended landscape pano in Photoshop that contains
      ground and sky.

      I want to apply different adjustment layers
      (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both the ground and to
      the sky.

      I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight adjustment setting on
      both the ground and the sky.

      How do I setup the photoshop image and the adjustment layers to allow
      separate settings on both the ground and the sky, for both the
      adjustment layers and the Shadow/Highlight adjustment?

      I tried it and it seems that the adjustment layers, as well as the
      Shadow/Highlight adjustment, affect the whole image and not just the
      separate areas of ground or sky. Maybe I need to do something with masks
      to get the adjustment layers to work on only the ground or the sky. Will
      the masks allow different settings to be used with the Shadow/Highlight
      adjustment as well?

      Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment is not available as
      an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)

      Thanks,
      Simon

      Canberra

      AUSTRALIA

    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
        On 12/07/2006, at 3:33 PM, Wheaton, Simon wrote:
        > I want to apply different adjustment layers
        > (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both the ground and to
        > the sky.
        >
        > I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight adjustment setting on
        > both the ground and the sky.

        I'd suggest you copy for eg the sky area only with a soft feathered
        edge to another layer and apply the adjustment layers separately.

        > I tried it and it seems that the adjustment layers, as well as the
        > Shadow/Highlight adjustment, affect the whole image and not just the
        > separate areas of ground or sky.

        I tend not to use adjustment layers myself - preferring to select the
        area of concern (or a copy of it) and apply the effects directly.

        Cheers,
        KathyW.
      • yuval levy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
          Hi Simon,

          --- "Wheaton, Simon" <simon.wheaton@...>
          wrote:
          > I have a stitched/blended landscape pano in
          > Photoshop that contains ground and sky.

          I assume Photoshop CS2.

          > I want to apply different adjustment layers
          > (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both
          > the ground and to the sky.

          Possible, you can add a layer mask to the adjustment
          layers. One way to do it is to select the area as
          described by Kathy, then with the selected area create
          the adjustment layer. The mask will be created
          automatically and you can still edit it by clicking on
          the mask (next to the layer itself) for fine
          retouching.

          > I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight
          > adjustment setting on both the ground and the sky.

          AFAIK S/H can not be done with a layer, but if you
          already have the layers and the selection, it is
          possible to re-select the specific area. Once you have
          a selected area, the S/H settings are applied only to
          the selection. It is possible (and recommended) to
          achieve the same result as S/H with curves adjustment,
          so there is no real need to use S/H other than it is
          easier.

          I prefer using adjustment layers because they leave my
          underlying original image untouched and I can always
          adjustment settings. The changes with S/H, as well as
          the changes of
          curves/levels/brightness/contrast-hue/saturation
          applied directly to the image are irreversible once
          saved and can't be replicated easily to other areas of
          the picture - all thing that adjustment layers and
          their masks enable.

          > Will the masks allow different settings to be used
          > with the Shadow/Highlight adjustment as well?

          not AFAIK.

          > Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment
          > is not available as
          > an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)

          I am afraid you are correct. But if you become
          proficient with the curves tool, you won't miss it.

          Yuv

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bjørn K Nilssen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
            On 11 Jul 2006 at 23:14, yuval levy wrote:

            > > Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment
            > > is not available as
            > > an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)
            >
            > I am afraid you are correct. But if you become
            > proficient with the curves tool, you won't miss it.

            Well, I would definitely miss S/H ;)
            You can treat S/H as adjustment layers (which I use a lot) by copying your entire image
            to a new layer and apply S/H to it. Then you can apply a Layer mask to that layer to
            control where S/H should be applied. And you could adjust the Layer fill or transparency
            (never see much difference between them..) and blend mode. If you need different S/H for
            different areas you could just add a new layer/mask for each.
            Layers and masks are great :)

            --
            bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
            Kristiansand, Norway