Re: [PanoToolsNG] Ideas for next cameras

  • Ron Rack
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
      Wow that's a great article, thanks for passing along,

      ron rack

      On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:51 AM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

      > Hi Fabio,
      >
      > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
      >
      > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
      >
      > Thanks for passing this along!
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > www.northernlight.net
      > www.virtual-travels.com
      > www.pinnacle-vr.com

    • Fabio Bustamante
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
        Mark, thanks for your link. That's an interesting theory... but I'm not
        sure about it's practical application.

        Exposing To The Right usually means longer exposure times (you don't
        want your DOF to be messed up by ETTR). Now, longer exposure times (in
        my photography) it's not exactly the kind of luxury I always have
        available. Many times I find myself on the edge of handheld shooting and
        even on a tripod, going from 1s to 3s for the sake of ETTR could easily
        introduce unwanted exagerated motion blur (from people, cars, trees,
        whatever). Usually in these situations we consciously exchange exposure
        times by noise by increasing ISO.

        In fact, if I have practical room for 2 stops of longer exposure for the
        ETTR, I could just go from ISO 400 to 100, which gives me a great
        improvement in noise as well. So the greatest application of ETTR would
        be in situations of medium to dark scenes, with medium to very low
        dynamic range, under ISO 100 and only if the user has room for 1 or 2
        stops of longer exposure without compromising the shot (otherwise the
        user will prefer higher noise).

        In real world my issues with noise happen in problematic, low light
        situations like shooting a party, a band show etc. In these situations I
        go for very high - and noisy - ISO exactly because I need practical
        exposure times. So even if the scene has a minimum dynamic range, it
        makes no sense my camera making much longer exposures for the sake of a
        lower noise.

        Did I get it all wrong?

        - Fabio

        Em 02/08/2011 08:51, Mark D. Fink escreveu:
        > Hi Fabio,
        >
        > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
        >
        > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
        >
        > Thanks for passing this along!
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > www.northernlight.net
        > www.virtual-travels.com
        > www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
          No, the article was a big mess in practicality and seemed a touch out of
          date.

          Sure you get lower noise.. but so what.. the rest of your image's tonalities
          are way off and clipped. Deep blacks are supposed to be black. Once black
          there should be no noise. Plus this article seems written for the WAY back
          in the day digital cameras where noise was a serious issue. These days with
          a proper camera, you're not dealing with noise being a show stopper, it's
          all about "ACCURATE EXPOSURE". Shooting ACCURATE exposure via raw will allow
          you to compress your dynamic range somewhat and give you a semi-realistic
          image. Realistic meaning, what the eye could have seen if it was there.

          Rarely do I see high key images that impress. It's the LOW key images that
          leave an impact in my opinion.

          I think that this was generated back when getting shadow details was
          something of a lost photoshop art.. before "shadows and highlights" and the
          ugliness of bad HDR tonemapping.

          Sacha Griffin

          <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

          <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

          <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

          IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

          Office: 404-551-4275

          GV: 404-665-9990

          Mark, thanks for your link. That's an interesting theory... but I'm not
          sure about it's practical application.

          Exposing To The Right usually means longer exposure times (you don't
          want your DOF to be messed up by ETTR). Now, longer exposure times (in
          my photography) it's not exactly the kind of luxury I always have
          available. Many times I find myself on the edge of handheld shooting and
          even on a tripod, going from 1s to 3s for the sake of ETTR could easily
          introduce unwanted exagerated motion blur (from people, cars, trees,
          whatever). Usually in these situations we consciously exchange exposure
          times by noise by increasing ISO.

          In fact, if I have practical room for 2 stops of longer exposure for the
          ETTR, I could just go from ISO 400 to 100, which gives me a great
          improvement in noise as well. So the greatest application of ETTR would
          be in situations of medium to dark scenes, with medium to very low
          dynamic range, under ISO 100 and only if the user has room for 1 or 2
          stops of longer exposure without compromising the shot (otherwise the
          user will prefer higher noise).

          In real world my issues with noise happen in problematic, low light
          situations like shooting a party, a band show etc. In these situations I
          go for very high - and noisy - ISO exactly because I need practical
          exposure times. So even if the scene has a minimum dynamic range, it
          makes no sense my camera making much longer exposures for the sake of a
          lower noise.

          Did I get it all wrong?

          - Fabio

          Em 02/08/2011 08:51, Mark D. Fink escreveu:
          > Hi Fabio,
          >
          > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
          >
          > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
          >
          > Thanks for passing this along!
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > www.northernlight.net
          > www.virtual-travels.com
          > www.pinnacle-vr.com

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
            Though the article does mention "without clipping" I think it's still bunk.

            You expose for the tonality you are trying to achieve - the result, not some
            semi-mathematical system.

            In that nature, everyone should dial their cameras to manual and hot glue it
            there.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
              Am 03.08.2011 04:39, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
              > Though the article does mention "without clipping" I think it's still bunk.
              >
              > You expose for the tonality you are trying to achieve - the result, not some
              > semi-mathematical system.

              Sorry to disagree. The article is about how to get the biggest available
              dynamic range and provide best tonality. There are even ideas discussed
              how to handle this transparently for the photographer, such that the
              image looks "normal" by default.

              Basically it describes a way how to store an image optimally, not how to
              display it. Remeber, you can't view a raw image directly, you always
              need to interpret it. The way this is done currently is suboptimal.