Re: Anyone purchased a good external mic for their 5D MKII?

  • rj_profile2004
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
      Ditto for me and kudos to the Rode SVM. I have been very happy with mine and it's super easy to use.

      Rusty Jackson

      > Am 02.08.2011 04:04, schrieb Andrew:
      > > Perhaps someone else has already tried the added sound option and purchased a good mic? (under $150)
      >
      > I use a Rode SVM video mic for direct video sound recording with my 5D
      > MKII. It is a bit above your price limit, but it comes together with a
      > "dead kitten" windscreen which I consider essential for outdoor
      > recording and which you need to buy additionally for other mics.
      >
      > --
      > Erik Krause

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        Many thanks for the replies. I know very little about the sound side of things so appreciate the advice.

        jimbo, that's a fine looking box of tricks you have there. I spent some time reading up about it plus the H2.

        The Rode SVM video mic has good reviews but a little too expensive for me. I just brought an underwater housing for the 5DMKII so funds are down again and have to stick to under $150 :-(

        Thanks for the SMX-10 info. I may try that one out in the local store and see what the results are like. If it's questionable I will order the Zoom H2.

        Andrew
      • mrjimbo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
          Andrew ,
          As you can see their are 100 ways to go..
          Using a mic directly on your camera may be a good way out.. if that's what works best for you.. remember that most mics are fairly specific in their job.. even the fancy ones.. The only reason I'm coming back on this is that you referenced the Zoom which typically most on this group wouldn't be familiar with I would think.. So I'm taking it that your after some half way decent sound.... and actually getting it.. You may want to go on You tube and check out a few of the work ups ...they have both the H2 & H4 models.. The mics on both of these things are really very very good.. a huge plus to them is they are adjustable.. 90deg to 120deg.. I've been around units like this for some time and these silly Zooms have the best bang for the buck on the planet I think.
          We've recorded bird songs, water falls, wave sounds, animal sounds as I'm a wildlife shooter.. & guitar music etc as I play ..have even recorded the sound of presses running for a Newspaper.. A plus and it may not seem like it going this way is that you can output your sound is any format.. Mp3 on up top fancy high bit wave files.. and you can edit right on the unit or in the software that comes with it.. They are true 4 channel.. so you can record 4 separate channels and reduce to one channel or stereo.. The only reason I went with the 4 is it dealt with XLR equipment.. Many feel the 2 is a better unit..
          I'm not trying to sell you a zoom but if your after something a bit different and want to raise the bar a bit.. Well, might be worth checking out a bit more.

          jimbo

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
            Yes, the zoom is SUPER cheap. Considering what the alternatives were before
            it came out. And it's the quality and features are superb.

            For 360's it's not necessary to input the zoom to the camera. That's just
            for video.. AND. it's really not that hard to sync audio and video these
            days anyway with separate sources.

            Plus, you can escape cable range.

            I have an h2, I think the h4 is pretty similar, and there's another one that
            looks like the mouth parts of a fly that should also be pretty good. With
            16GB SD cards coming with your happy meals these days, basic audio recording
            is pretty cheap and easy.

            "Stereo ambient" is just about the perfect type for the zoom series.

            If you were looking for directional, I'd point to some of the other mics
            that were posted earlier.

            Sacha Griffin

            <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

            <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

            <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

            IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

            Office: 404-551-4275

            GV: 404-665-9990

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
              Excellent, thanks again for the additional info. Your right, for my needs the H2 would be the way to go especially if I don't even have to have my camera with me while recording.

              I think with a bit of practice I can liven up many of the 360 degree images that could do with the added sound.

              I remember years ago my Father used to do nature and train recordings with a large parabolic dish & Mic linked to was probably a really expensive field cassette deck at the time.

              Andrew