Re: [?? Probable Spam] [PanoToolsNG] Re: Ideas for next cameras

  • Fabio Bustamante
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1 10:29 PM
      Robert, I certainly agree with you. In fact, in 2006 (curiously 5 years
      ago!) I posted on this very list something about how DSLR designers are
      too much influenced by old film era standards (I'm including the
      original post below).

      But if they are actively asking (and certainly paying a fortune for the
      consulting) maybe there's a chance they'll listen, who knows? Eventually
      someone will.

      But yes, my expectations are **VERY** low. And even on the best of the
      worlds it would take years to take significant changes from the drawing
      boards to store shelves.

      - Fabio

      In 02/08/2011 02:07, robert wrote:
      > If they listened to the more advanced digital pro's they would have come out with a new pro non-DSLR system at least 3-5 years ago. The honorable SLR format was a great system in the film era, it's long pass the time to retire it.

      > On Tue, December 12, 2006 2:07 am, Fabio wrote:

      Hi Roger!

      I was just about to ask about handheld possibilities! That's a pitty.
      Well, there are a few handheld sized PCs showing up these days -
      unfortunately they are way too expensive for a camera remote...

      Actually it's somewhat frustrating to see how much digital photography
      (specially digital SLRs) stays chained to the old photography tradition
      in terms of design, functionality, interface, etc. I mean, despite the
      lens, the mount and the CCD/CMOS position, the rest of the camera could
      be a totally different device! I would certainly appreciate several
      other buttons on my camera, specially if they were fully customizable -
      one for the autofocus, a few others for quick applying saved parameters
      (camera presets), etc. I'm not even sure a digital reflex camera
      *really* needs a shutter in the first place! (oh yes, it sounds and
      feels great, I agree)

      Instead we have digital cameras that are 10 years old pieces of design
      with minimum adaptation, if you understand what I'm saying. My camera
      has an USB port but still I have to use a remote with a 2 stage button
      connected to it through a stereo jack... this is kinda living in the past.

      Would it really be so complicated to have a firmware that allows us to
      program, say, time lapse shots? It's so simple, why doesn't all DSLR
      have it? (for that Canon sells an expensive special remote which is a
      cheap electronic gadget that connects to the camera through the stereo
      jack port and keeps shooting. Does anyone else find this funny? :) )

      Or maybe a *fully* programable bracketing system? With presets, combos,
      etc.. Again, it's just a matter of making a better firmware! But because
      of the companies' lack of interest (or dedication, or creativity, or
      whatever) people need to work hard to create complex/partial solutions,
      such as having to carry a notebook around to be able control the camera
      without touching it.

      We should be able to control our cameras with a PDA through bluetooth.
      Program it using a touch screen LCD. Maybe use voice commands, who
      knows? So much could be done with simple resources! And I'm not talking
      about alien or way too expensive technologies - many great things could
      be implemented only with software changes...

      But what we have today are barely programable and pretty featureless
      camera firmwares, that don't go much further than canon's old "FLAGs"
      binary configuration system. And despite the 'high-tech' world we live
      in, we accept this as 'natural'. Is it?

      If we're going digital, lets go trully digital! ;)

      All the best,

      Fabio.

      Original message here
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/5030
    • robert
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1 11:10 PM
        Fabio,

        WOW, that a extremely prescient view. Yet, not one point in it has come to market from Nikon, Canon, etc.

        RED PR forced video in both, and that is about it to date. Magic Lantern (CHK) has at least not been sued or other legal action taken against it. Imagine what tools we might have if they would embrace and encourage it, an uber "DSLR" iOS.

        Japan as a consistent thread seems not able to produce soft assets well. No clue why, but it seems from cars to cameras software is just not seen as a valued asset.

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2 4:51 AM
          Hi Fabio,

          I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:

          http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml

          Thanks for passing this along!

          Mark

          www.northernlight.net
          www.virtual-travels.com
          www.pinnacle-vr.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2 8:51 AM
            Wow that's a great article, thanks for passing along,

            ron rack

            On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:51 AM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

            > Hi Fabio,
            >
            > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
            >
            > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
            >
            > Thanks for passing this along!
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > www.northernlight.net
            > www.virtual-travels.com
            > www.pinnacle-vr.com

          • Fabio Bustamante
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2 7:23 PM
              Mark, thanks for your link. That's an interesting theory... but I'm not
              sure about it's practical application.

              Exposing To The Right usually means longer exposure times (you don't
              want your DOF to be messed up by ETTR). Now, longer exposure times (in
              my photography) it's not exactly the kind of luxury I always have
              available. Many times I find myself on the edge of handheld shooting and
              even on a tripod, going from 1s to 3s for the sake of ETTR could easily
              introduce unwanted exagerated motion blur (from people, cars, trees,
              whatever). Usually in these situations we consciously exchange exposure
              times by noise by increasing ISO.

              In fact, if I have practical room for 2 stops of longer exposure for the
              ETTR, I could just go from ISO 400 to 100, which gives me a great
              improvement in noise as well. So the greatest application of ETTR would
              be in situations of medium to dark scenes, with medium to very low
              dynamic range, under ISO 100 and only if the user has room for 1 or 2
              stops of longer exposure without compromising the shot (otherwise the
              user will prefer higher noise).

              In real world my issues with noise happen in problematic, low light
              situations like shooting a party, a band show etc. In these situations I
              go for very high - and noisy - ISO exactly because I need practical
              exposure times. So even if the scene has a minimum dynamic range, it
              makes no sense my camera making much longer exposures for the sake of a
              lower noise.

              Did I get it all wrong?

              - Fabio

              Em 02/08/2011 08:51, Mark D. Fink escreveu:
              > Hi Fabio,
              >
              > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
              >
              > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
              >
              > Thanks for passing this along!
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > www.northernlight.net
              > www.virtual-travels.com
              > www.pinnacle-vr.com

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 7:33 PM
                No, the article was a big mess in practicality and seemed a touch out of
                date.

                Sure you get lower noise.. but so what.. the rest of your image's tonalities
                are way off and clipped. Deep blacks are supposed to be black. Once black
                there should be no noise. Plus this article seems written for the WAY back
                in the day digital cameras where noise was a serious issue. These days with
                a proper camera, you're not dealing with noise being a show stopper, it's
                all about "ACCURATE EXPOSURE". Shooting ACCURATE exposure via raw will allow
                you to compress your dynamic range somewhat and give you a semi-realistic
                image. Realistic meaning, what the eye could have seen if it was there.

                Rarely do I see high key images that impress. It's the LOW key images that
                leave an impact in my opinion.

                I think that this was generated back when getting shadow details was
                something of a lost photoshop art.. before "shadows and highlights" and the
                ugliness of bad HDR tonemapping.

                Sacha Griffin

                <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

                <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

                IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                Office: 404-551-4275

                GV: 404-665-9990

                Mark, thanks for your link. That's an interesting theory... but I'm not
                sure about it's practical application.

                Exposing To The Right usually means longer exposure times (you don't
                want your DOF to be messed up by ETTR). Now, longer exposure times (in
                my photography) it's not exactly the kind of luxury I always have
                available. Many times I find myself on the edge of handheld shooting and
                even on a tripod, going from 1s to 3s for the sake of ETTR could easily
                introduce unwanted exagerated motion blur (from people, cars, trees,
                whatever). Usually in these situations we consciously exchange exposure
                times by noise by increasing ISO.

                In fact, if I have practical room for 2 stops of longer exposure for the
                ETTR, I could just go from ISO 400 to 100, which gives me a great
                improvement in noise as well. So the greatest application of ETTR would
                be in situations of medium to dark scenes, with medium to very low
                dynamic range, under ISO 100 and only if the user has room for 1 or 2
                stops of longer exposure without compromising the shot (otherwise the
                user will prefer higher noise).

                In real world my issues with noise happen in problematic, low light
                situations like shooting a party, a band show etc. In these situations I
                go for very high - and noisy - ISO exactly because I need practical
                exposure times. So even if the scene has a minimum dynamic range, it
                makes no sense my camera making much longer exposures for the sake of a
                lower noise.

                Did I get it all wrong?

                - Fabio

                Em 02/08/2011 08:51, Mark D. Fink escreveu:
                > Hi Fabio,
                >
                > I would point them to this recent article in Luminous Landscape:
                >
                > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml
                >
                > Thanks for passing this along!
                >
                > Mark
                >
                > www.northernlight.net
                > www.virtual-travels.com
                > www.pinnacle-vr.com

              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 7:39 PM
                  Though the article does mention "without clipping" I think it's still bunk.

                  You expose for the tonality you are trying to achieve - the result, not some
                  semi-mathematical system.

                  In that nature, everyone should dial their cameras to manual and hot glue it
                  there.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4 1:35 PM
                    Am 03.08.2011 04:39, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
                    > Though the article does mention "without clipping" I think it's still bunk.
                    >
                    > You expose for the tonality you are trying to achieve - the result, not some
                    > semi-mathematical system.

                    Sorry to disagree. The article is about how to get the biggest available
                    dynamic range and provide best tonality. There are even ideas discussed
                    how to handle this transparently for the photographer, such that the
                    image looks "normal" by default.

                    Basically it describes a way how to store an image optimally, not how to
                    display it. Remeber, you can't view a raw image directly, you always
                    need to interpret it. The way this is done currently is suboptimal.