Re: [PanoToolsNG] Anyone purchased a good external mic for their 5D MKII?

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
      Andrew ,
      I have the Zoom H4n model and use it with Shure Sm-57's ..The built in mics that are on it are very adequate in most cases. Mine are directional and adjustable from 90 to 110 deg. I'm a little familiar with the one your looking at.. It is a very good unit.. and should be perfect for what your up too. You can do 4 channel I think also.. So you could record the sounds your after and add in say music if you choose to.. By the way these guys will output the sound in pretty much any format and level you could ever want..

      I don't know the difference between the mikes on the H2 versus the H4.. The H4's mikes are really quite good they are commonly used to record acoustic guitars and vocals.... with the sounds your after I don't thing you'd need to purchase another mic..

      jimbo

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        Am 02.08.2011 04:04, schrieb Andrew:
        > Perhaps someone else has already tried the added sound option and purchased a good mic? (under $150)

        I use a Rode SVM video mic for direct video sound recording with my 5D
        MKII. It is a bit above your price limit, but it comes together with a
        "dead kitten" windscreen which I consider essential for outdoor
        recording and which you need to buy additionally for other mics.

      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
          I use a Azden High-performance(SMX-10) Stereo Condenser Microphone - had it
          for around a year and love it. It includes a wind-screen and isolation
          mount. Attaches to the hot-shoe. Nice deal. And it uses just one AAA
          battery.

          Rick Drew

        • rj_profile2004
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
            Ditto for me and kudos to the Rode SVM. I have been very happy with mine and it's super easy to use.

            Rusty Jackson

            > Am 02.08.2011 04:04, schrieb Andrew:
            > > Perhaps someone else has already tried the added sound option and purchased a good mic? (under $150)
            >
            > I use a Rode SVM video mic for direct video sound recording with my 5D
            > MKII. It is a bit above your price limit, but it comes together with a
            > "dead kitten" windscreen which I consider essential for outdoor
            > recording and which you need to buy additionally for other mics.
            >
            > --
            > Erik Krause

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
              Many thanks for the replies. I know very little about the sound side of things so appreciate the advice.

              jimbo, that's a fine looking box of tricks you have there. I spent some time reading up about it plus the H2.

              The Rode SVM video mic has good reviews but a little too expensive for me. I just brought an underwater housing for the 5DMKII so funds are down again and have to stick to under $150 :-(

              Thanks for the SMX-10 info. I may try that one out in the local store and see what the results are like. If it's questionable I will order the Zoom H2.

              Andrew
            • mrjimbo
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
                Andrew ,
                As you can see their are 100 ways to go..
                Using a mic directly on your camera may be a good way out.. if that's what works best for you.. remember that most mics are fairly specific in their job.. even the fancy ones.. The only reason I'm coming back on this is that you referenced the Zoom which typically most on this group wouldn't be familiar with I would think.. So I'm taking it that your after some half way decent sound.... and actually getting it.. You may want to go on You tube and check out a few of the work ups ...they have both the H2 & H4 models.. The mics on both of these things are really very very good.. a huge plus to them is they are adjustable.. 90deg to 120deg.. I've been around units like this for some time and these silly Zooms have the best bang for the buck on the planet I think.
                We've recorded bird songs, water falls, wave sounds, animal sounds as I'm a wildlife shooter.. & guitar music etc as I play ..have even recorded the sound of presses running for a Newspaper.. A plus and it may not seem like it going this way is that you can output your sound is any format.. Mp3 on up top fancy high bit wave files.. and you can edit right on the unit or in the software that comes with it.. They are true 4 channel.. so you can record 4 separate channels and reduce to one channel or stereo.. The only reason I went with the 4 is it dealt with XLR equipment.. Many feel the 2 is a better unit..
                I'm not trying to sell you a zoom but if your after something a bit different and want to raise the bar a bit.. Well, might be worth checking out a bit more.

                jimbo

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Yes, the zoom is SUPER cheap. Considering what the alternatives were before
                  it came out. And it's the quality and features are superb.

                  For 360's it's not necessary to input the zoom to the camera. That's just
                  for video.. AND. it's really not that hard to sync audio and video these
                  days anyway with separate sources.

                  Plus, you can escape cable range.

                  I have an h2, I think the h4 is pretty similar, and there's another one that
                  looks like the mouth parts of a fly that should also be pretty good. With
                  16GB SD cards coming with your happy meals these days, basic audio recording
                  is pretty cheap and easy.

                  "Stereo ambient" is just about the perfect type for the zoom series.

                  If you were looking for directional, I'd point to some of the other mics
                  that were posted earlier.

                  Sacha Griffin

                  <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

                  <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                  <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

                  IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                  Office: 404-551-4275

                  GV: 404-665-9990

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
                    Excellent, thanks again for the additional info. Your right, for my needs the H2 would be the way to go especially if I don't even have to have my camera with me while recording.

                    I think with a bit of practice I can liven up many of the 360 degree images that could do with the added sound.

                    I remember years ago my Father used to do nature and train recordings with a large parabolic dish & Mic linked to was probably a really expensive field cassette deck at the time.

                    Andrew