Re: [PanoToolsNG] smaller camera tripod head?

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
      On Jul 31, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

      > I wonder -- most cameras are about the same size -- within a couple of inches
      > or a few centimeters. Maybe one approach for a commercial pano head would
      > be to make a set of arms of different lengths and then for a particular
      > camera you buy a set of three arms that are the right length and then
      > bolt them together.

      Yes... if only.... Wait - I think you just described the 360Precision Absolute! Still, it is not light at all because of its focus on repeatability and over-engineering the strength. During the time I was using one, I seriously considered getting a machine shop to lighten it by drilling out holes and milling away what I thought was unneeded bulk that didn't contribute to strength.

      John Riley
      4Pi-VR Media Solutions
      http://4pi-vr.com
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
        Am 31.07.2011 22:23, schrieb Ken Warner:
        > Maybe one approach for a commercial pano head would
        > be to make a set of arms of different lengths and then for a particular
        > camera you buy a set of three arms that are the right length and then
        > bolt them together.

        This might be an approach indeed. However, the arms are not in the way
        when shooting, but the footplate is. I always wondered why most heads
        have such a large footprint - the more expensive and precise the larger.

        I guess most of them - like f.e. the 360P absolute - have a large roller
        thrust bearing which is expensive and hard to adjust. Two standard ball
        bearings one above each other could provide the same precision, don't
        need to be adjusted and have a much smaller footprint. Ok, precise click
        stops are harder to implement this way, but there should be a solutions
        for this.

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
          I see on the net that "crowd sourcing" is a current fad used to
          gather input from a large number of people for the purpose of designing
          an object. Might be fun to do that here. But it would ultimately be
          futile because there would be no way to get prototypes easily.