Re: [PanoToolsNG] smaller camera tripod head?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
      I wonder -- most cameras are about the same size -- within a couple of inches
      or a few centimeters. Maybe one approach for a commercial pano head would
      be to make a set of arms of different lengths and then for a particular
      camera you buy a set of three arms that are the right length and then
      bolt them together.

      A universal head that fits all cameras brings with it a lot of extra
      metal that you don't need. And a lot of complication that you don't
      need once it is adjusted. But you still have to lug all that extra
      metal around along with all the extra complicated machinery for adjustment.

      For example: my NN3 I have not adjusted it for nearly a year and I only
      did that when I got a new camera. It would have been easier to buy
      a new arm or two.

      Erik Krause wrote:
      > Am 05.07.2011 16:22, schrieb Paul Fretheim:
      >> Does anyone make a panohead that is designed tiny and lightweight that
      >> would be appropriate for a micro 4/3rds setup?
      >
      > Possibly the slimmest one:
      > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Nadir/Slim/Slim_rotator.html
      >
      > But I fear no one makes it commercially...

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
        On Jul 31, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

        > I wonder -- most cameras are about the same size -- within a couple of inches
        > or a few centimeters. Maybe one approach for a commercial pano head would
        > be to make a set of arms of different lengths and then for a particular
        > camera you buy a set of three arms that are the right length and then
        > bolt them together.

        Yes... if only.... Wait - I think you just described the 360Precision Absolute! Still, it is not light at all because of its focus on repeatability and over-engineering the strength. During the time I was using one, I seriously considered getting a machine shop to lighten it by drilling out holes and milling away what I thought was unneeded bulk that didn't contribute to strength.

        John Riley
        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        http://4pi-vr.com
        johnriley@...
        (h)864-461-3504
        (c)864-431-7075
        (w)864-503-5775

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
          Am 31.07.2011 22:23, schrieb Ken Warner:
          > Maybe one approach for a commercial pano head would
          > be to make a set of arms of different lengths and then for a particular
          > camera you buy a set of three arms that are the right length and then
          > bolt them together.

          This might be an approach indeed. However, the arms are not in the way
          when shooting, but the footplate is. I always wondered why most heads
          have such a large footprint - the more expensive and precise the larger.

          I guess most of them - like f.e. the 360P absolute - have a large roller
          thrust bearing which is expensive and hard to adjust. Two standard ball
          bearings one above each other could provide the same precision, don't
          need to be adjusted and have a much smaller footprint. Ok, precise click
          stops are harder to implement this way, but there should be a solutions
          for this.

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 31, 2011
            I see on the net that "crowd sourcing" is a current fad used to
            gather input from a large number of people for the purpose of designing
            an object. Might be fun to do that here. But it would ultimately be
            futile because there would be no way to get prototypes easily.