Re: Need help - PTGui optimization fails completely

  • macbenutzer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
      Hi Erik and everybody else,

      yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is ok without any further optimization.

      Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction :-)

      I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

      Cheers - Peter
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "macbenutzer" <panotools@...> wrote:

        > yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others
        > were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is
        > ok without any further optimization.

        By limiting control points to horizontally and vertically adjacent images (which is my usual practice), and using menu option "Delete worst points", the average cp distance comes down to 0.73, with a maximum of 1.89.

        John
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2011
          Am 29.07.2011 00:10, schrieb macbenutzer:
          > I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs
          > together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

          Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
          panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
          panorama...

        • macbenutzer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2011

            > Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
            > panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
            > panorama...

            Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be perfect. I will try it tomorrow and see how it will work out.

            Peter
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 30, 2011
              Am 30.07.2011 10:24, schrieb macbenutzer:
              > Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to
              > move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i
              > would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be
              > perfect

              You should make sure to have control points only at equal distance
              between those parts.

              I've tried both when I made my handheld gigapixel with three different
              focal length and from 4 different viewpoints. It turned out to be much
              easier to optimize all images together with carefully placed control
              points between the problematic images, but to stitch the groups
              separately by switching off all other images and join them later in
              photoshop. Well, that was before PTGui had the masking feature. I just
              only started to redo the whole panorama using PTGui masking...