Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Need help - PTGui optimization fails completely

  • Willy Kaemena
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
      Post some reduced pictures here for us to play...

      It has also something to do with repetitive patterns.

      Willy

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
        Am 28.07.2011 23:49, schrieb macbenutzer:
        > yes, i know. But as it was taken with a PhaseOne the images a quite
        > big;-)

        Downsized jpegs do normally. However, there is no need anymore. I found
        all non-overlapping pairs and after I removed the false control points
        the stitch is good. The last pair was 9-12. Unfortunately I didn't note
        down the others.

        > I will have a look into the cp´s. Maybe the mosaic all over the
        > images caused the trouble? I see that it might not be easy for PTGui
        > to get the correct place for the different images.

        Yes, most likely. Repeating patterns are always a danger. Often it is
        recommended to generate control points on a pair by pair basis, not all
        at once.

      • macbenutzer
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28, 2011
          Hi Erik and everybody else,

          yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is ok without any further optimization.

          Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction :-)

          I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

          Cheers - Peter
        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2011
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "macbenutzer" <panotools@...> wrote:

            > yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others
            > were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is
            > ok without any further optimization.

            By limiting control points to horizontally and vertically adjacent images (which is my usual practice), and using menu option "Delete worst points", the average cp distance comes down to 0.73, with a maximum of 1.89.

            John
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2011
              Am 29.07.2011 00:10, schrieb macbenutzer:
              > I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs
              > together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

              Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
              panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
              panorama...

            • macbenutzer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 30, 2011

                > Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
                > panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
                > panorama...

                Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be perfect. I will try it tomorrow and see how it will work out.

                Peter
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 30, 2011
                  Am 30.07.2011 10:24, schrieb macbenutzer:
                  > Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to
                  > move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i
                  > would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be
                  > perfect

                  You should make sure to have control points only at equal distance
                  between those parts.

                  I've tried both when I made my handheld gigapixel with three different
                  focal length and from 4 different viewpoints. It turned out to be much
                  easier to optimize all images together with carefully placed control
                  points between the problematic images, but to stitch the groups
                  separately by switching off all other images and join them later in
                  photoshop. Well, that was before PTGui had the masking feature. I just
                  only started to redo the whole panorama using PTGui masking...