Need help - PTGui optimization fails completely

  • macbenutzer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28 2:06 PM
      Hi all,

      after using PTGUi for several years i never had such a hard time stichting a partial panorama. I took 2 partial panoramas (2x 180x90 degrees) and would like to join them together. BUT PTGui fails even to stitch one of the two partial images.

      The photos were taken with a Hasselblad 50mm/PhaseOne P65+ mounted correctly on a panoramic head. I aligned the images roughly and the overlap is about 20%. Everything looks ok - but when clicking "align images" i get many control points but no distance is shown. And when i try to "optimize" the project it completely fails (cp distance >5000px and the image is scrambled in the preview).

      I put the project file on my server if anybody would like to see it. (http://data.360pixel.de/panotools/)

      Any idea what is causing this error?
      I never had a problem like this before. Maybe i am blind but i just do not see reason for it.

      Thank you all - Peter
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28 2:08 PM
        Can you post a thumbnail of your images? It will give me better
        understanding of your problem.

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
        felipe@...

      • macbenutzer
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28 2:16 PM
          Sure,

          i put three screenshots into the same folder (see link in the original posting).

          The first shows the preview before optimizing.
          The second the optimization result in figures.
          The third the result as preview.

          Peter
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28 2:41 PM
            Am 28.07.2011 23:06, schrieb macbenutzer:
            > Any idea what is causing this error?

            You have control points on non-overlapping images. At a first glance I
            found images 0 and 3 but there must be more. In Control Points tab
            choose any image f.e. in left panel and look for the bold numbered tabs
            in the right panel. They have control points. Check whether this is ok.
            It is easier with the images than without...

          • macbenutzer
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28 2:49 PM

              > It is easier with the images than without...

              Hallo Erik,

              yes, i know. But as it was taken with a PhaseOne the images a quite big ;-)

              I will have a look into the cp´s. Maybe the mosaic all over the images caused the trouble? I see that it might not be easy for PTGui to get the correct place for the different images.

              (to be continued...)

              Thanks - Cheers - Peter
            • Willy Kaemena
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28 2:52 PM
                Post some reduced pictures here for us to play...

                It has also something to do with repetitive patterns.

                Willy

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 28 3:03 PM
                  Am 28.07.2011 23:49, schrieb macbenutzer:
                  > yes, i know. But as it was taken with a PhaseOne the images a quite
                  > big;-)

                  Downsized jpegs do normally. However, there is no need anymore. I found
                  all non-overlapping pairs and after I removed the false control points
                  the stitch is good. The last pair was 9-12. Unfortunately I didn't note
                  down the others.

                  > I will have a look into the cp´s. Maybe the mosaic all over the
                  > images caused the trouble? I see that it might not be easy for PTGui
                  > to get the correct place for the different images.

                  Yes, most likely. Repeating patterns are always a danger. Often it is
                  recommended to generate control points on a pair by pair basis, not all
                  at once.

                • macbenutzer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 28 3:10 PM
                    Hi Erik and everybody else,

                    yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is ok without any further optimization.

                    Thanks a lot for pointing me to the right direction :-)

                    I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

                    Cheers - Peter
                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 29 10:40 AM
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "macbenutzer" <panotools@...> wrote:

                      > yes - i found 9/12 too now as the last wrong connection. The others
                      > were "easy". Now it stitches with an maximum distance of 16 which is
                      > ok without any further optimization.

                      By limiting control points to horizontally and vertically adjacent images (which is my usual practice), and using menu option "Delete worst points", the average cp distance comes down to 0.73, with a maximum of 1.89.

                      John
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 29 11:26 AM
                        Am 29.07.2011 00:10, schrieb macbenutzer:
                        > I will try to stitch the other part and then to join the two halfs
                        > together. I will keep you informed (after the weekend).

                        Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
                        panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
                        panorama...

                      • macbenutzer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 30 1:24 AM

                          > Why not stitch all images? It might be difficult to stitch two stitched
                          > panoramas. Any joint has small errors which might sum up in each
                          > panorama...

                          Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be perfect. I will try it tomorrow and see how it will work out.

                          Peter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 30 4:42 AM
                            Am 30.07.2011 10:24, schrieb macbenutzer:
                            > Because i thought i might be easier (or get less errors) as i had to
                            > move the camera for 50 cm between the two halfs. That way i thought i
                            > would "only" get errors on the joining part and the rest would be
                            > perfect

                            You should make sure to have control points only at equal distance
                            between those parts.

                            I've tried both when I made my handheld gigapixel with three different
                            focal length and from 4 different viewpoints. It turned out to be much
                            easier to optimize all images together with carefully placed control
                            points between the problematic images, but to stitch the groups
                            separately by switching off all other images and join them later in
                            photoshop. Well, that was before PTGui had the masking feature. I just
                            only started to redo the whole panorama using PTGui masking...