OT - Suggest server solution?

  • Blake Michaelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2011
      Definitely OT, but figured there are several people here who might be able
      to chime in...

      I'm trying to move 50+ GB of data (panos and associated RAW/TIFs) between
      computers, and an external USB drive just isn't cutting it any longer! I
      have a couple of MACs and PCs connected either via RJ45 or WiFi through same
      router - would like to put a server on the router to take advantage of RJ45
      throughput and hopefully expedite transferring of files between computers...
      any suggestions? I have a spare box I can turn into a server...

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2011
        100 Megabit vs USB 480 Megabit (Roughly peoples!)

        External USB is going to be faster by a bit, although not as convenient. And
        you didn't say anything about gigabit Ethernet so I'm assuming 100.

        Forget all the mess of servers.. just buy a gigabit Ethernet NAS storage
        device, upgrade your routers, and NIC cards if need be.

        Sacha Griffin

        <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

        <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

        IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        GV: 404-665-9990

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2011
          Look at a Drobo - I love the device, and Amazon has them on sale. Or, as
          suggested, a decent NAS. I have a couple different ones in different parts
          of the house (in case or fire, flood, etc.)

        • mrjimbo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2011
            Blake .. it honestly takes a little time to move or back up 50GB's of data.. but it goes pretty quick actually today.

            Theirs lots you didn't say... if your going MAC to MAC you can direct hook the two together with a fire wire cable if they both have firewire..
            Two Macs with 800 firewire hooked up will smoke... don't touch the wire ...just kidding..

            If your usb drive is not USB 2.0 well that is just like watching paint dry.. Also if your USB just feels slow.. and you have other things hooked up ..get them, off it for the transfer.. I'm not a real fan of USB.. kool but still has issues.. real hard to get the rated speeds especially sustained.. I mean add a usb mouse or keyboard and the speeds are gone..

            Network is actually quite fast.. especially if you have gigabit.. which today is not expensive to do.
            Servers are used to apply a process to data or as a place to facilitate storage so if you have reasons for wanting a server then it makes sense but in this issue I don't think it'll do anything for you.

            If this is something that you think you may have to go thru occasionally ...just moving a chunk of data from one place to another and especially if your going cross platform.. a really good way is a simple flash drive.. they are faster then a typical hard drive and are great for a quick solution.. Sacha's advice is well founded but might have a few costs tied to it if your mixing platforms.. but that is the way to go. We have a gigabit set up here and it is great..

            Anyway .. patience is a virtue.. if needed turn the thing on and go have dinner.. :-)

            jimbo

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2011
              On 7/27/11 12:19 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
              > Definitely OT, but figured there are several people here who might be able
              > to chime in...
              >
              > I'm trying to move 50+ GB of data (panos and associated RAW/TIFs) between
              > computers, and an external USB drive just isn't cutting it any longer! I
              > have a couple of MACs and PCs connected either via RJ45 or WiFi through same
              > router - would like to put a server on the router to take advantage of RJ45
              > throughput and hopefully expedite transferring of files between computers...
              > any suggestions? I have a spare box I can turn into a server...

              There are a lot of technical considerations for doing something like
              this, particularly if you want to do it right.

              For the budget solution, you might consider something like FreeNAS:

              http://www.freenas.org/

              I would seriously consider using at least software RAID1 (mirroring) on
              your drives.

              Be sure to set up some sort of backup (e.g., something automated and to
              an external drive and/or off-site), too. Remember: if it's not in three
              places, it is not backed up.

              For fast access, you will want to make sure your NAS machine and your
              workstation have gigabit Ethernet interfaces and, that your switch is a
              real gigabit switch.

              Articles on doing this sort of thing abound. Google is your friend.

              If you have more money to spend, there are commercial solutions, too.
              There are also multi-disk devices that will connect via USB or Firewire.

              If you have plenty of money to spend, nothing beats professional help.

              --
              Andrew Crawford
            • Uri Cogan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2011
                Just set the two to "share" on the same workgroup, and each will be
                appear to the other as a disk drive...

                For pc-mac sharing, see http://www.mac-connect.com/ or go to google and
                enter: "mac and pc sharing"

                --