Re: [PanoToolsNG] The HTML5 boom is coming. Fast.

  • Isaac Garcia
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 26, 2011
      On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Matthew Rogers - 360Precision <
      matthew@...> wrote:

      > On 26 Jul 2011, at 08:12, Isaac Garcia wrote:
      >
      > > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Matthew Rogers - 360Precision <
      > > matthew@...> wrote:
      > >

      > But it's the users behaviour that's important, not where the content
      > originates from. Users are accessing content via apps and now have the
      > mindset of looking for apps via the appstore to deliver this content.
      > Whether that content is delivered via a browser frame is irrelevant. For
      > people on these devices the browser is becoming less important.

      Not quite true. Or at least, only halfway

      As you point out, "for people using these devices" it�s not important. But
      in never has. It�s never been for end users. And as developer, it IS very
      important how the content is accessed/viewed if I still depend on the
      shortcomings of browsers, be it mobile or not ;)

      > My own usage habits has shifted mainly to using apps. There are a few
      > forums etc and some a few other sites that I use for online shopping but
      > that's about it. If Amazon or play.com had iOS apps I'd hardly ever need
      > to open Safari ever again.
      >

      > >> As we (panoramic photographers) live in a world where we use Flash on a
      > >> daily basis we over emphasise it's importance. When I first moved to the
      > UK
      > >> 10 years ago I registered with all the top recruitment agencies that
      > handle
      > >> web/Mac/PC development. In the period from 2001-2006 the vast majority
      > of
      > >> positions were for Flash/PHP/Coldfusion developers. Since 2006 this has
      > >> completely changed. I'd estimate the drop in Flash developers is
      > probably in
      > >> the 90-95% region and that's with the advent of RIAs, Flex and other
      > Flash
      > >> IDEs that simply didn�t exist 10 years ago. This year I've received 2
      > emails
      > >> for Flash contractors, both for the same position.
      > >>
      > >> Once developers stop using Flash like they did Director, Adobe will drop
      > it
      > >> like a hot potato.
      > >>

      > > Director was stopped being used because Adobe killed it. both by lack of
      > > innovation and shift in interest to flash.
      >
      > Not innovation on part of developers though. I've still not seen any Flash
      > app or intact iOS app that have come close to some of the projects I've seen
      > created in Director. I worked on some Director projects back in the 90's
      > with 7 figure budgets.
      >
      > The internet killed of Director and now it's the turn of mobile apps to
      > kill of the browser. It's a shame director is no longer around.

      Yup, same here.

      But I do disagree a bit there... Director died because suddenly, Flash did
      most of the stuff Director did and was "easier to deal" with.

      > >> The simple fact is developers are moving away from developing
      > applications
      > >> in an animation/timeline based environment over to more sophisticated
      > IDEs
      > >> like xCode.
      > >>
      > >> All the people on this list that are pro Flash seem to give the
      > impression
      > >> that Flash is widely used. I spend a lot of time online and apart from
      > >> the only useful Flash site I've come across was the Nike custom shoe
      > app.
      > >> But when it came time to buy the shoes I was on the iPad and obviously
      > it
      > >> didn't run. So I simply bought my shoes elsewhere so by not having an
      > HTML 5
      > >> version of the site Nike lost a longtime customer.
      > >>
      > >> I agree that at this point in time HTML5 isn't really the solution but
      > >> neither is clinging to the hope that Flash will be. I tried Flash 11 on
      > OS X
      > >> and it simply DOES NOT WORK, yet.
      > >>

      > > It seems that there is a "if you�re not with HTML5 you�re against it"
      > going
      > > around... nobody is clinging to the hope flash *will* be the solution; it
      > is
      > > *here and now*. It�s just like Trausti said, better not sell your house
      > > before your new one is built. At least wait for the walls to be erected
      > ;)
      > >

      > >> Matt

      > >> not in anyone's interest except his. But what I once saw as an
      > inconvenience
      > >> and problem, I now see as an opportunity :)

      > >> --
      > >>

      > > --
      > > Isaac Garc�a
      > >
      > > http://www.coletassoft.com